Profile for William J. Fox > Reviews

Content by William J. Fox

William J. Fox "KillerBill" (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
The Truth About The Wunderwaffe
The Truth About The Wunderwaffe
by Igor Witkowski
Price: 25.43

5.0 out of 5 stars Nothing But, 12 Sep 2013
There is an official history that the Germans, were at best, incompetent in certain areas of weapons technology, particularly nuclear physics. Unlikely. The most secret technologies were first hidden successfully by the Germans and later by the Allies who "liberated" them.
Witkowski reveals the many and varied weapons that were deployed, or ready to deploy, by the end of the war in Europe. Had Hitler trusted his generals more and interfered less there is no doubt the Germans would have triumphed and perhaps some of the millions killed by Stalin would have survived.
What I find odd is that some of the more outlandish, and supposedly ineffective, technology is still classified as top secret by Western countries although the Russians have released many documents for public consumption. Among these I class flying disks, nuclear weapons, the Bell and airplane designs.
If you want to know more about technology the Western governments would prefer to keep secret, things which would probably challenge the reign of the petro-dollar, this is the book for you. It is also essential reading to anyone interested in the Second World War also. The more people tell me the Germans had no nuclear programme, and never flew any working disks, the more I question the reasons behind their assertions.

Hitler's Terror Weapons: From Doodlebug to Nuclear Warheads
Hitler's Terror Weapons: From Doodlebug to Nuclear Warheads
Price: 5.14

4.0 out of 5 stars Atomic Readng, 12 Sep 2013
Most of the book was interesting and plausible. The content is supported by other sources and Brooks has a good informative style. There was one section about nuclear weapons that I just do not agree with. The "Official" line is that the Germans never had nuclear weapons and Brooks toes this line.
It is my opinion, from reading many other sources, that they tested at least two. However, there were two reasons they refrained from using any on the Western Allies. By the time it was developed and battle ready they could no longer reach London with the V2 launch vehicle. In my opinion the reason for the Ardennes Offensive being to give them a closer launch site. The German high command realised that the war was as good as lost after the success of Normandy. They would not be able to bargain for their freedom after poisoning swathes of Western Europe. Attacking the Russians would have been pointless. Stalin would have just sent more and more armies no matter what happened to them.
I recommend this book if you want a deeper knowledge of German wartime technology that the Americans refuse to admit to knowing about. There are minor faults but it was an enjoyable read.

The Descent Series, Books 1-3: Death's Hand, The Darkest Gate, and Dark Union
The Descent Series, Books 1-3: Death's Hand, The Darkest Gate, and Dark Union
Price: 0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Witching Hour, 1 Aug 2013
Elise Kavanagh is a slayer, not like Buffy, where everything is nice an always works out in time for supper, but in tears before bedtime. The pace is incredibly fast, violent but Elise always seems to find someone has the drop on her. Not a good situation for someone who is reputed to be the best of the best when it comes to killing Demons. With ten dead Angels under her belt it is not a title someone else will take any time soon.

The biggest plus, and a surprise, is that the first three books are free. I have already bought the fourth and will probably look at Reine's other work.

The only minus is that sometimes the paces is too fast and after reading three books I do not really know much about any of the main characters.

Highly recommended action stories but you need to have some interest in witches, demons, angels etc. to enjoy the book. They did remind me a little of Kim Harrison's "Rachel Morgan" series but are not the same in any way apart from overall theme.

Future Lovecraft
Future Lovecraft
Price: 3.02

1.0 out of 5 stars Past its sell-by date, 1 Aug 2013
This review is from: Future Lovecraft (Kindle Edition)
After reading this collection I feel other reviewers have been far too generous. If it was possible to give negative stars this book would get it from me.

First major gripe is how many entries are poems. If I wanted poetry I would not be looking for Lovecraft inspired STORIES.

Second gripe is the consistent poor quality of the stories. One reviewer commented on having to search the dross for the gems. I found I was searching through dross for dross. I cannot understand how any of these stories would ever get published having read so many unprinted novels and shorts by friends and acquaintances.

I did find a couple of marginally interesting stories, one was about Mars and another continued in the Innsmouth theme. But they fell very short of making up for the rest of the collection.

Not recommended even at this relatively low price and the collection reminded me why I stopped buying books of short stories.

JET
JET
Price: 2.34

5.0 out of 5 stars Not a suffer a jet, 7 July 2013
This review is from: JET (Kindle Edition)
Very fast pace, would make a good film, and was free. I will be getting sequels and consider Blake to be a talented author with a new look at secret agents. There is the obligatory betrayal by a superior and she does get to wear a tight black leather catsuit but the plot is strong and well paced. Highly recommended action story along the lines of the film versions of the "Bourne" trilogy.

The Weight Of Your Love
The Weight Of Your Love
Price: 7.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Driving me backwards, 7 July 2013
This review is from: The Weight Of Your Love (Audio CD)
I had been awaiting Editor's next album since "In this light" and had it on pre-order for quite a while. On first listening it starts out really strong with the title track but seems to lose steam after "Formaldehyde". Nice title for a song but I felt the music did not really support it, unlike "Papillon" or "Eat raw meat" which really hit you and are good titles as well. There is also a lack of a "Walk the Fleet Road" to end the album.

The other aspect of "In this light" which really impressed me on the extended edition was the strength of the songs on the bonus disk, especially the final track "For the money". "The Weight" serves up three extra tracks and acoustic versions of "Hyena" and "Nothing". To be honest I would not have missed any of them.

The running order does flow well including the bonus disk, but the whole is not quite as satisfying as "In This Light". I feel that Editors have taken a step backwards with "The Weight" but it may be a grower. Worth getting but not quite up to their last album in my opinion.

How To Write a Book This Weekend, Even If You Flunked English Like I Did
How To Write a Book This Weekend, Even If You Flunked English Like I Did
Price: 2.01

3.0 out of 5 stars How to buck the system?, 7 July 2013
First, I have to point out that this book was a free download via a link on Facebook. I would not otherwise have bothered with it and would have felt slightly cheated had I paid as I am interested in writing fiction.

Second, I don't think Vic emphasises enough that the best way to write a book IS TO WRITE A BOOK. I have read other "how to write" books in the past that have also missed this minor point.

Third, this guide is not really for writers of fiction, especially if you want to get a paper version out there. Vic does offer some interesting views on how to get short ebooks out there but you still have to write it. I have no interest in dictating either for myself or someone else to type up. It may work for him but my own method is to write the first draft first, get it finished and then start tidying it up. Too many people start the rewrite before they have finished (including myself) and never get a final version before they lose interest. As is often pointed out by published authors, writing is 5% inspiration and 95% perspiration.

Good for what it is and good if it is what you need. Vic didn't really tell me much that was new and spent a lot of time promoting himself. A really good book will do that for you.

Neptune Crossing (The Chaos Chronicles Book 1)
Neptune Crossing (The Chaos Chronicles Book 1)
Price: 0.00

1.0 out of 5 stars In space no-one can hear you dream, 31 May 2013
This is the first in a series and the last I shall read. It's not that the idea is so poor, but I kept skipping chunks of it to see whether something interesting happened, and often it didn't. There is a human base on Triton where John Bandicut makes contact with an ancient alien machine. It inserts a presence into his mind and then persuades him that he must steal a space ship to prevent a comet from crashing into the Earth and destroying all life.

That's as good as it gets. Carver seems incapable of getting any kind of pace into the story and I would have been quite annoyed if I had actually paid for the book. What you basically get is a short story padded out to the nth degree and I never really engaged with any of the characters. Even free I find it hard to recommend this book and although he may have written better material this is hardly an advert for him. As it is free you may as well try it and give your opinion.

The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
Price: 13.15

3.0 out of 5 stars Ghosts V to VIII, 22 April 2013
After "Immigrant Song" bursts into your ears this triple set is fairly bland when compared to the much superior "Social Network" sound track album. I have been a fan of Reznor (Nine Inch Nails) since playing "Quake" on the PC. I felt his earlier collaboration with Atticus Ross bore excellent fruit but there is a serious problem with this album. The tracks often reminded me of NINs "Ghosts" album which is a collection of interesting soundscapes. Several times I wondered if Reznor had merely dusted off the earlier recordings, or even out takes from the sessions, and recycled them. Disappointing and too long. If you are new to Reznor this is not a true representation of what he is capable of.

Sony PlayStation DualShock 3 Controller (PS3)
Sony PlayStation DualShock 3 Controller (PS3)
Offered by Wilbow
Price: 35.39

5.0 out of 5 stars It is what it is, 22 April 2013
It is what it is and does the job as well as you want. I don't play on the Playstation but my son found this a good replacement for a broken controller. It is well made and rugged, and sensitive enough for fine control.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16