Profile for Bernardette Lugner > Reviews

Content by Bernardette Lugner
Top Reviewer Ranking: 579

Bernardette Lugner (Manchester, UK)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20
BiC Cristal Soft Ball Pen - Assorted Colours (Pack of 10)
BiC Cristal Soft Ball Pen - Assorted Colours (Pack of 10)

5.0 out of 5 stars New twist on traditional BiC ballpoint, 28 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a new take on the familiar BiC ball-point pen. It is supposed to be smoother, and I think it really is! The pen writes with very little pressure, and glides easily over the paper. The ink appearance is as one expects from a BiC, with bright blue and red, deep black, and a weaker green -- good for tentative crossword entries but too feeble for crazed green-ink rants.

The pen has the traditional shape, tastes the same when you chew it, but looks a little different -- the transparent barrel is tinted blue, and the ink level is invisible. I'll have to use it until it surprises me by giving out. The top (which I quickly lose) has a hole at the end, so its only function is to provide the clip.

Game of Thrones - Season 4 [DVD] [2015]
Game of Thrones - Season 4 [DVD] [2015]
Dvd ~ Peter Dinklage

5.0 out of 5 stars We've been waiting for this, 22 Feb. 2015
My fourth Game of Thrones set was a joy to receive. Five DVDs -- ten episodes -- that continue the journey through the later books of the series. A strength of the sets is the generous bunch of extras. It was really helpful to have the recap on the political situation as seen by a number of characters, that set the scene for Season 4 and reminded me what had gone on in Series 3. And now our leading characters are travelling all over the map, dragons are slowly growing, Daenerys is slowly moving west, all sorts of horrible things are heading south for The Wall, Arya is sticking people . . . Game of Thrones is in action and I am rationing my watching to slowly enjoy every minute. If you are wondering whether to go on and get this set, don't hesitate.

As usual, the packaging is excellent, although the synopses of the episodes are so brief as to be of little help.

It is noticeable that the dialogue in this series is particularly clear. How good to hear actors who act for an audience and speak clearly at a consistent volume. I am fed up with actors who impersonate their characters rather than acting them, and then mumble and whisper. Well done the directors and sound engineers.

Vanish Gold for Whites Oxi Action Stain Remover Powder 1.41 kg
Vanish Gold for Whites Oxi Action Stain Remover Powder 1.41 kg

4.0 out of 5 stars A good aid to white washing, 22 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Half a scoop of Vanish added to every wash seems to be the thing to do. My washing looks and smells clean. I don't feel like using Vanish on dark items. It remains an easy way to brighten up your whites, and it easily got red wine stains out of cream-coloured napkins. Good stuff.

Revlon PhotoReady Cream Blush - 12.4 g, Charmed
Revlon PhotoReady Cream Blush - 12.4 g, Charmed

3.0 out of 5 stars Girls change color in the warmth of masculine desire - Colette, 5 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A very easy blusher to put on, and not too strongly pigmented, so you can control the amount of colour you end up with. I would have liked it a little softer and smoother to apply, though. In fact it felt a bit gritty, and left a few tiny deposits of solids on my skin. The whole impression is of a utility product rather than a luxurious one, so I guess my verdict is "not bad".

Dettol Power and Fresh Citrus Zest Spray 750 ml (Pack of 3)
Dettol Power and Fresh Citrus Zest Spray 750 ml (Pack of 3)

4.0 out of 5 stars Effective kitchen cleaner with a bit of inconvenience, 1 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is a kitchen surface cleaner with anti-bacterial properties, so as well as getting off food spills and dirt, it claims to kill off bacteria. It certainly cleans well. The bottle has an excellent spray action, and the liquid produces a bit more foam than other products I have tried. It did a great job on my work surfaces, steel sink and hob. The smell it leaves behind is slight and pleasant.

Oh, there's a catch. The instructions say to leave it for five minutes, then come back, and rinse and dry. Now, I own a bottle of Tesco own-brand spray that similarly claims to kill 99.9% of germs, but you don't wait, don't rinse, just wipe off, and then dry surfaces are OK for food preparation. The Dettol catch makes a bit of extra work, and turns a quick-wipe into a bit of a ritual. Obsessive cleaners should like that, but I am just spraying and wiping.

Oraldene Mouthwash Original 200ml
Oraldene Mouthwash Original 200ml
Offered by Once Upon a Time .............

5.0 out of 5 stars It works, if only you can get it, 1 Feb. 2015
I think this is the best liquid for minor mouth infections. I and my family have successfully used it for sore gums, mouth ulcers, after dental treatment, and as a gargle at the first tickle that might mean a sore throat. In the old days, there was a remarkable and powerful liquid called Betadine, but that was withdrawn from sale. Oraldene has turned out to be the next best thing.

Now Oraldene seems to have gone out of production, and the rare remaining stocks are being sold at ever-increasing prices. Let's hope it comes back, as it is one of the few really effective over-the-counter medications.

Dettol Antibacterial Laundry Cleanser Powder 990 g (Pack of 3)
Dettol Antibacterial Laundry Cleanser Powder 990 g (Pack of 3)

3.0 out of 5 stars Scared of Bacteria? Who ya gonna call?, 1 Feb. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This might just be a product for the "worried well". Bacteria, the dominant life forms of this planet, are everywhere. In and on us, our clothes our surroundings. A few kinds cause diseases, and if you are worried that those might be on your clothes, you can soak them before you wash them in this product, branded Dettol, the disinfectant brand of our childhoods. It is said to kill 99.9% of bacteria, even if you wash below 60 deg. There's also a bleach-type ingredient, so the formula is not much different to Vanish and I did not feel like trying it on coloureds, just whites.

If only you could just add it to the wash, that would be great, but the extra job of diluting, soaking, moving the wet stuff to the machine, mopping the floor, peeling off the Marigolds . . . no thanks. I'm really not that worried. On the other hand, if there is some one in the family who is really ill, and you want to make their clothes and bedding -- and especially underwear -- as safe as possible for the rest of the family, then sure, its worth putting in the extra effort.

Of course, I have no way of validating the 99.9% dead bacteria claim, but I am a bit worried about the 0.1% that got away. I understand (Wikipaedia) that a healthy person's skin has on it about a trillion bacteria (they're mostly harmless). Lets assume your clothing has on it only one-thousandth as many, say a billion. After soaking in Dettol Laundry Cleaner, only a million are left alive -- the toughest million, who will now multiply until zonked by Dettol again, then even tougher ones will evolve. I think I have the plot for a B-movie here.

I guess the Reckitt marketing people had a good concept, but product development came up with a soak, not a wash additive. I can't see anyone wanting to buy this more than once.

NIVEA MEN Sensitive Shower Gel 250ml
NIVEA MEN Sensitive Shower Gel 250ml
Offered by Kiara World

4.0 out of 5 stars You can get yaself clean . . ., 29 Jan. 2015
This is very pleasant shower gel, with almost no perfume. The pack is neat and doesn't fall over when balanced on the edge of the bath. It is a good step up from the very cheap gels that supermarkets sell as own-brand, which are a lot like washing up liquid. At the same time, it is not so pricey that you would worry about leaving it behind in the gym.

Nice one, Nivea, and a neat way of upping your Amazon purchase to hit the free delivery threshold.

Finish All in One Max Original Dishwasher Tablets (Pack of 74)
Finish All in One Max Original Dishwasher Tablets (Pack of 74)

5.0 out of 5 stars Squeaky clean finish, 29 Jan. 2015
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Long-time dishwasher users, like me, will have discovered that even the cheapest dishwasher powder from a budget supermarket, does work. The question is, how well?

The Finish brand has long been a trusted guarantee of good performance, since before tablets existed, but I only used it from time to time. A combination of cheap powder and a good rinse-aid seemed to work well enough here in North West England where the water is medium-soft, you don't need salt, and you don't get lime scale. These Finish tablets soon made me realise I can do better!

With no rinse aid - just a Finish tablet - everything came out squeaky clean on a 50 degree wash. Especially noticeable was the cleaning effect on stainless steel cutlery, which looked far brighter than before, and I always pack a lot into the cutlery basket. The tablets also score for convenience. You don't unwrap them, just pop one into the dispenser.

I hope the wrappers will protect me against the dangerous ingredients without really needing the eye protection specified on the pack. Now whether all the claimed ingredients really do anything useful, or whether they are like miracle KP-97 in my toothpaste, I don't know, but it is obvious that Finish tablets do a great job. Yes, you can get away cheaper, but it seems that in this case you pay a bit more, you get a bit more.

Ebuyer.com Calendar Year A1 2015 Wall Planner
Ebuyer.com Calendar Year A1 2015 Wall Planner
Offered by Ebuyer UK Limited

4.0 out of 5 stars Plain, decent planner, 22 Jan. 2015
A plain and simple planner for not much money. I like the semi-matt finish, making it easy to write on, and I snipped the adverts off the bottom. Shows UK Bank Holidays only, but lacks week numbers. It's earning its keep on my office wall.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20