Profile for Bernardette Lugner > Reviews

Content by Bernardette Lugner
Top Reviewer Ranking: 709

Bernardette Lugner (Manchester, UK)
(TOP 1000 REVIEWER)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
TCP LED B22d Bayonet Cap 10 Watt LED Classic Shape, White
TCP LED B22d Bayonet Cap 10 Watt LED Classic Shape, White

4.0 out of 5 stars Successful LED lamp, if a bit tall, 30 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This bulb is, as promised, the classic light-bulb shape, but it is not the classic size. It is about 10mm longer than a tungsten 60 watt bulb, so it might not fit your light-fitting. I tried to put it in a pendant shade, but it could not be manoeuvred in.

Instead, I used it in a table lamp with great success. The bulb has a pearl white surface, so produces soft shadows, has a good spread of illumination, and looks easily as bright as an old 60W bulb, while using only 10W. It can't be dimmed. The light is, as advertised, a warm white, and you get full brightness instantly. Is it worth laying out £12.30? Here's my calculation.

A 60W bulb running for 4 hours per day, using electricity at 15p per KWh, costs 3.6p per day. We're now going to spend only 0.6p per day, saving 3p. The cost of the lamp is paid back in 410 days, say 14 months. After that, you are quids in by nearly £11 a year. If you think I've got this wrong, please comment, and I'll put it right!

Riemann P20 Once a Day 10 Hours Protection SPF 20 Medium, 100ml
Riemann P20 Once a Day 10 Hours Protection SPF 20 Medium, 100ml
Offered by Venture Blue

5.0 out of 5 stars Dependable protection against sunburn, 29 Aug 2014
I've used this stuff for many years, in every continent and climate, and never got burned. You only need to apply it before breakfast each day, and that's it. Swim, sweat, it doesn't matter.

Just be sure to let it dry before you dress, or it might stain clothes (especially cotton). Any stains do wash out.

I Really Hate My Job [DVD]
I Really Hate My Job [DVD]
Dvd ~ Neve Campbell

3.0 out of 5 stars Oh, rats, 29 Aug 2014
This review is from: I Really Hate My Job [DVD] (DVD)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is an outing for a quintet of excellent female actors, who would probably object to being called actresses. They staff a Soho restaurant, but only the manager, "Madonna" Anna Maxwell Martin, is reasonably competent, and she has to fake it much of the time. All of them wish they were some one else, some place else. We learn this through long-winded wingeing -- the script is just too wordy -- rather than through anything they do. The two waitresses are lazy and self-regarding, the washer-up blathers on, and the kitchen help, standing in for the chef, tries but isn't able to cope.

It's Wesker's "The kitchen" meets Fawlty Towers. We even get a guest cameo from Basil the Rat, and an inexplicable one from Danny Huston. Things get worse and worse, disaster is inevitable.

The director has told the cast to stand close to each other and whisper or mumble much of the time, which does not make for easy listening. Nevertheless, the acting is so convincing I wanted to punch them all in the mouth after 15 minutes.

All teenage girls should be forced to watch this film and be warned of what life could be like for them if they don't work hard at school. The rest of us can get a bit of amusement from a show that really ought to be on stage, not on video.

Barbie 2014 Holiday Doll
Barbie 2014 Holiday Doll

5.0 out of 5 stars The Barbie Tradition goes on for 2014, 27 Aug 2014
This review is from: Barbie 2014 Holiday Doll (Toy)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This is for real Barbie fans and collectors, not for kids who want to play with a Barbie. If you are buying this, you already love Barbie, and you will not be disappointed with the look and quality of this latest "holiday" Barbie. That's the American word "holiday", which means Christmas or any other religious winter-time festival, such as Chanukah.

Barbie comes in a big red box with a patterned interior, and a clear front. She's a bit squashed in there, but I know some collectors won't open the box. Inside there is a stand, and B herself formally turned out in a well-made red dress with gold lace underskirt and bodice. I liked her really glossy lip-gloss and sparkling eye-shadow. Her hair is a richer colour of blonde than we sometimes see on her, and will look a lot better out of the box than tied down inside. Her body is, of course, the traditional thin-limbed Barbie, here with a right arm akimbo.

If you didn't want her, you wouldn't be reading this . . . go on, click.

Creative MUVO Mini - Pocket-Sized Weather Resistant Bluetooth Wireless Speaker with NFC that Delivers Loud and Strong Bass - Black

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly portable and competent little speaker, 25 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
The key selling point of this small speaker unit is its portability and weather-proofing. You can easily slip it into a bag, rucksack, or laptop case, and even into a (big) pocket. No mains unit is needed, because it runs off a rechargeable battery that will give several hours of use. To recharge, just plug the supplied cable between the speaker and any charger that has a USB outlet. I just used my phone charger.

The whole thing is covered in a rubbery surface that claims to be rain and splashproof, so I guess you could take it camping. It would be very anti-social to use it poolside or on a beach, though, and you'd risk some one else testing the waterproofing severely. Controls are on the top. Press the ON switch and a voice tells you it's powered up. Bluetooth pairing and volume up/down are other controls. Press the Bluetooth button twice and the voice tells you the battery charge remaining. Is that Scarlett Johansson? It looks and feels like a high-quality piece of industrial design.

Bluetooth pairing worked quickly and flawlessly. I pressed the button on the speaker, then selected the speaker on my iPad, and they paired at once. Of course, you can use a smartphone or a computer that has Bluetooth. There is also NFC if your smartphone has it. You can take or reject incoming phone calls if you are using your phone, and the speaker will act as a speakerphone. Bluetooth range was perfect in a large living room, and in the next room, too.

How about the sound? Creative is a trusted brand in computer sound, so I settled down to test with a variety of music. This is a small sound source, so it does not excite a large volume of air. As a result, the sound -- especially the bass -- is best if you listen within a couple of metres of the unit. The output volume is loud enough for a living room, and certainly for a bedroom, but won't drive a party. Clarity and higher frequencies are excellent, but the lower range lacks warmth, so classical music sounds hollow. But you weren't going to listen to Beethoven on this, were you? I tried a whole range of artists, from Adele to Zappa, oldies and Imogen Heap, Bjork and the kind of thing I might listen to in the garden -- reggae and bouzouki. This baby coped with the lot amazingly well for its size. Judas Priest was too much for it -- heavy metal fans need more punch. Changing the EQ settings on my iPad had negligible effect.

Having a little unit that is easily moved around the house, can sit on the sofa arm or a bookshelf, and travel light, is very nice. Take a look at my photos. I don't think you'll regret it if you get one of these.

Nivea Men Stress Protect 48h Anti-Perspirant 250ml
Nivea Men Stress Protect 48h Anti-Perspirant 250ml

5.0 out of 5 stars Pleasant and effective deodorant, 21 Aug 2014
Even though not feeling very stressed, I liked this spray-can deodorant. You get a good, fine spray, it dries in a few minutes, and it works as promised. The perfume is slight, thank goodness, and quickly disperses. I don't want perfumed armpits competing with my expensive Eau de toilette.

Paper Mate Inkjoy 100 Capped Ball Pen Medium Assorted Fun Colours - Bag of 10
Paper Mate Inkjoy 100 Capped Ball Pen Medium Assorted Fun Colours - Bag of 10

5.0 out of 5 stars Really nice pens, 21 Aug 2014
If you are writing a letter, use blue or black, but often it is great to have other options. I really like using the lighter colours for crosswords and other word puzzles. If you are taking notes, writing memos to yourself, or doodling, these smooth flowing pens are enjoyable to use.

Riemann P20 Once a Day 10 Hours Protection SPF30 Sunscreen 100ml
Riemann P20 Once a Day 10 Hours Protection SPF30 Sunscreen 100ml

5.0 out of 5 stars It works perfectly for me, 21 Aug 2014
I have been using P20 for over 20 years in many countries and climates, dipping in and out of pools and oceans, and never got burned. What's more, I never applied it more than once a day. It goes on before breakfast, following the instructions, and that's it. Face, scalp, body, all protected and once it is dry it is invisible.

Sometimes, your cotton garments will pick up a yellowish stain, but it washes out. The economy is fine, as I expect a 100ml pack to last me easily through a 14 day holiday.

Scart to RF Aerial TV Modulator Converter - Freeview DVD
Scart to RF Aerial TV Modulator Converter - Freeview DVD
Offered by CableFinder

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well if you understand what you need, 21 Aug 2014
If you need to convert a digital signal to an analogue one, this device does it. My new Sky box had no output that could be fed to the coax cables which take an analogue signal to four TVs around a large house. (The older Sky boxes did. )

Now I was able to take the Scart output from the new Sky box, connect it to this converter device, and then feed from the RF output of the converter into my coax cables. I also connected my digital TV aerial input to the converter, and ended up with digital TV feeding into my coax, plus analogue Sky. Next I made all my extra TV sets retune their channels, and each of them got its full quota of terrestrial TV channels and one analogue channel carrying my Sky signal.

You need a clear understanding of where your cables go, and it can be done. By the way, if you need that Scart signal elsewhere, the converter has a pass through output for Scart.

The suppliers, Cablefinder, provided very fast delivery.

Vibe FLI Over-Ear Headphones with In-Line Microphone - White
Vibe FLI Over-Ear Headphones with In-Line Microphone - White

5.0 out of 5 stars Headphones with great appearance, performance and value, 21 Aug 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First impressions were not misleading. The excellent packaging of these headphones and their bright white finish were exciting. If I got these as a present I would be delighted. What a refreshing change from plain black gadgets. The glossy white surface is embossed with Vibe symbols, and these do not show up much. On each side is a bright red, and thankfully small, Vibe logo. Maybe, as on expensive cars, there could be a "debadge" option. The very soft earpads are pale grey, and the overall look is luxurious, with a perfect finish. You can also get these headphones in red and blue -- nice and bright, like Lego blocks. Some high-quality branded phones come with greedily high prices but these Vibes prove you don't have to fork out anything like that much.

A soft, flat ribbon cable plugs into the headphones at one end and into your audio device at the other. Near one end is a small microphone, so if you have plugged into your phone, you can take a call without struggling. The headphones are large, and I would not care to walk the streets or use the gym with them on, but maybe you would. Wearing comfort is excellent. The big, soft pads fit around your ears, so although the phones seem to grip your head firmly, I found that well over an hour's use did not feel at all uncomfortable.

And the sound? Don't be misled by the "Extreme Bass" claim -- I did not experience exaggerated bass boost. What it turned out to mean was a very wide frequency response, so that bass notes were accurately reproduced. At the other end of the spectrum, treble response was sharp and clear. I tried a range of musical types from mp3s, Spotify, and other web sources - rock, blues, pop, classical, solo piano, violin sonatas, Queen, Kate Bush, Imogen Heap and more. Plus plain speech. An hour or so later, I was still very, very impressed. All this time I had been trying out different EQ settings on the iPad that was doing most of the playing, and the phones responded with clearly different sound, so I think you will be able to get the kind of playback you like.

Over years of enjoying a wide variety of music, I've owned quite a few sets of phones. Little earpieces are convenient and light, but none come close to the quality of good earphones, and these Vibes are the best, though not the priciest, I've had.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18