Profile for Mr. T. J. Phillips > Reviews

Content by Mr. T. J. Phillips

Mr. T. J. Phillips "timjphillipsuk" (UK)

The Rough Guide to Sci-Fi Movies
The Rough Guide to Sci-Fi Movies
by John Scalzi

4.0 out of 5 stars Time for a new edition., 27 Feb. 2011
A Scanner darkly, Serenity, Sunshine, District 9, Moon, Star Trek.

Just a few of my favourite Sci- fi films since 2005.

I came on line to check if there was a new edition of this book which I have really enjoyed. No such luck.

If you agree with me say so and maybe we can pursuade John Scalzi and roughguides to update for 2012, maybe?
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 7, 2011 3:47 PM GMT

Moon [DVD] [2009]
Moon [DVD] [2009]
Dvd ~ Sam Rockwell
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars Good old fashioned Sci-fi, 27 Feb. 2011
This review is from: Moon [DVD] [2009] (DVD)
An excellent homage to the classics. 2001, Solaris, Silent running, Alien, Solaris again, Sunshine, and now Moon. I hope this tradition of clostraphobic, psychological thriller, space opera, style films continues.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 4, 2011 8:27 PM GMT

1.8m UK Mains 'Kettle' Lead with Right Angled Connector
1.8m UK Mains 'Kettle' Lead with Right Angled Connector
Offered by CDL Micro

5.0 out of 5 stars Less stickyouty., 22 April 2010
It sticks out slightly less than a normal kettle lead, allowing things that need kettle leads, to be pushed slightly closer to other objects.

Exactly what you need if your desk is 2cm too short for your PC.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars 10 years excellent service, 28 Nov. 2007
Before the new Sony Ericsson Walkman-phone series of headphones, I could not wear the traditional round hard plastic in-ear headphones that used to come free with personal stereos. But the MDR-W08L sits comfortably, weighs very little and delivers excellent quality sound. Which is why I have worn, and worn out 4 pairs of these headphones over the last 10 years. Which doesn't mean that after a couple of years they break! I've beaten them to death by constant use. And although I currently use my MDR-V900HD more often I am keeping a brand new pair of MDR-W08Ls in storage against the day when I realise you can no longer buy them. Another true classic from Sony.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 20, 2007 12:05 PM GMT

Sphere [DVD] [1998]
Sphere [DVD] [1998]
Dvd ~ Dustin Hoffman
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars I won't spoil it but Oh boy, 17 April 2006
This review is from: Sphere [DVD] [1998] (DVD)
Everyone has made good arguments for this films plus points and the parts which hold it back. The cast is unquestionably of excellent quality. The effects aren't too shabby either the central idea is pretty interesting. And belive me the thought of being trapped on the sea bed with a demented S L Jackson makes this a pretty scary Sci Fi thriller. But if you can arrange to get called away 5 minutes from the end you will never find out how bad this film is. I was told in creative writing lessons at the age of 6 that ending stories this way was cheating. After I saw this film I felt totally wronged! Buy Event Horizon and the Abyss instead. Watch them one after the other, you'll get the same film done 50 times better.

Contact (Special Edition) [1997] [DVD]
Contact (Special Edition) [1997] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jodie Foster

2.0 out of 5 stars Not worth the wait, 17 April 2006
I'm sure other reviewers have made the same point but if I make the point again maybe more people will be warned. The film starts quite convincingly with an intercept of a signal from space, jumps headlong into a naff conspiracy/political space race and winds up with the biggest let down of any first contact film you can name. If close encounters was "close" this encounter is light years away from being satisfying. I won't spoil it because you might watch it on TV but dont buy it.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 18, 2010 12:09 PM BST

All Calm in Dreamland
All Calm in Dreamland
Offered by uniqueplace-uk

5.0 out of 5 stars Spellbinding, 29 Jan. 2006
This review is from: All Calm in Dreamland (Audio CD)
I bought this album from Katie and got it signed when I saw her in TC's in Selly Oak. She had the whole room captivated with her beautifully soft voice and touchingly honest lyrics. An excellent gig, she played all the songs on this cd which themselves have the quality of a top rate live performance.

Fraggle Rock [DVD]
Fraggle Rock [DVD]
Dvd ~ Jim Henson

3.0 out of 5 stars Beware, 19 Nov. 2005
This review is from: Fraggle Rock [DVD] (DVD)
Just in case you can't tell from the listing, I thought I'd point out that this is not the ever so long awaited complete first series of Fraggle Rock. If you only plan to buy one Fraggle Rock DVD in your life and you want it now, buy this one. If you want to see the first episode first and relive every fabulous episode in order hang out for a new release.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 2, 2010 2:13 AM BST