Profile for Mr. Craig E. Laycock > Reviews

Content by Mr. Craig E. L...

Mr. Craig E. Laycock (Guildford, Surrey)

Mastering Unreal Technology: v. 1: Introduction to Level Design with Unreal Engine 3: A Beginner's Guide to Level Design in Unreal Engine 3
by Jason Busby

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic. Everything I wanted and more., 6 Sept. 2009
Mastering Unreal Technology v1 is without a doubt the best resource for getting ahead in Unreal Engine 3. As the owner of a good many "how to" books on a range of different subjects, I have rather a good idea of what makes a good tutorial book - and this one ticks every box.

The tutorials are designed with practical examples in mind to work towards, and are cleverly divided into chapters which tackle specific areas. First of all, you run through a hands-on primer, which handholds you through creating a simple level which touches on most of the features of the Unreal Editor.

Later, the book goes into more depth with individual chapters devoted to each element of the editor - with sections on detailed brush geometry, static meshes, textures and more. It even encompasses areas of 3ds Max.

I can't recommend the 3D Buzz guys enough, I'd already had a bit of experience with them before thanks to the Unreal Tournament 3 Collectors Edition DVD, so I knew they'd be quite good - and off the back of this book I'm going to buy the next two in the series, as well as their 3ds Max tutorials.

If you want to get ahead, you don't need to look much further. 5 stars all the way.

Canon EOS 300V - Body only
Canon EOS 300V - Body only

5.0 out of 5 stars Cracking, 24 Mar. 2004
If Canon were a man, I'd run up to him and give him a great big kiss on the lips for manufacturing this camera. And I'm not even 'that' way inclined. You see, the EOS 300 is not just a bit good, or even a lot good - at this price it's the best.
I'd consider myself a photograpic enthusiast with a good 150 rolls of SLR film behind me, and this was my starting camera - a fantastic tool for the beginner, and I still use it occasionally now.
It takes a wide range of lenses (for example, I currently have 35-80mm, 100-300mm and 18mm lenses) and operation is really smooth.
Picture quality is fantastic, and with Velvia film loaded this camera really shows it's true colours.
Top marks, Canon. Pucker up.

Red Dwarf: Series 8, Byte 2 - Krytie TV [VHS]
Red Dwarf: Series 8, Byte 2 - Krytie TV [VHS]
VHS
Offered by RED-JET Movies Music & More

2.0 out of 5 stars Red Dwarf 8 - The End, 14 Mar. 2004
If Red Dwarf's series 1-6 were our own sun, and if 7 were it's last breath then this, series 8, is the supernova debris left after it's explosion. And it's not beatiful. Or colourful. Or anything particularly good. It's a cold, dark place with frequently poor gags and atrocious plots. The tagline to this series should really be "a poor man's porridge in space." I almost shed a tear at the first three episodes of this series. Avoid if possible, and keep series 1-6 in your mind. Here's hoping the movie restores my faith in Red Dwarf.

Dave Gorman's Googlewhack Adventure
Dave Gorman's Googlewhack Adventure
by Dave Gorman

5.0 out of 5 stars Whack-tastic, 8 Jan. 2004
In his latest paper-based outing, Dave Gorman goes to the ends of the Earth on an insane, yet highly commendable challenge: To find a chain of ten "Googlewhacks" before his next birthday.
As you delve further into the initially whimsical appearance of this book, you begin to understand the importance of this challenge to Dave. It's all about the winning. Experience his highs and his lows as he meets people from incredibly diverse backgrounds - all held together by a fragile chain of 'whacks.
Dave genuinely amuses with his refined wit - springing inspired comical observations upon you at every turn. The characters Dave bumps into on his travels will have you in hysterics, and their generosity will restore your faith in human nature.
Thanks to Gorman's intuitive style of writing and sturucturing of 'Googlewhack Adventure', you're always kept on your toes, wondering what may lie around the corner for the author. Surprisingly, for such a light read, Gorman is even able to introduce complex concepts - informing his readers about subjects such as Creationist beliefs while still entertaining thoroughly.
The author never leaves the audience in doubt about his emotional state, and is remarkably honest about how he feels at all stages of this tale of woe, intrigue, competition and humour.
All in all, Dave Gorman's Googlewhack Adventure comes highly recommended, whatever your level of technological literacy. A fun excursion into the mind of a jetset without a cause.

Microsoft Blue Optical Mouse
Microsoft Blue Optical Mouse

5.0 out of 5 stars Drop your balls. The new mouse is in town., 17 Feb. 2003
A sequence of events inspired me to purchase this glowing beast. I broke my standard wheel mouse in a moment of frustration having missed a putt on Tiger Woods Pro Tour 2003. I headed off to my local PC World (I wouldn't normally), as it was quite urgent that I found a replacement.
I found a cheap Packard Bell cordless mouse. "How novel!", I thought - until I got it home and realised that it was slow, unresponsive, hideously adorned with a packard bell logo and it ate batteries like there was no tomorrow.
Disgusted with myself (and having 'swished' my flatmates optical mouse around) I stumble accross this wonderful little thing .... Bargain, they said! They were right.
Responsive. Smooth. Perfect for FPS games, and damn attractive too. Buy now - reap the benefits for years (or, at least until you next get frustrated at PGA Tour).