Profile for IzzyM > Reviews

Wrought Iron Log Basket with Leaf Design FG1070
Wrought Iron Log Basket with Leaf Design FG1070
Offered by Black Country Metal Works

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent log basket, 20 Nov. 2015
This log basket was the perfect size for the space available in my open fireplace. Am delighted with it, as I can now pile my dried wood neatly beside the fire, and off the tiling to allow the free-flow of air. I have a system where I place firewood directly in front of fire for a few days to dry out (I use a Stihl moisture meter to check it is ready for burning) and then add to the log basket ready for use. I mainly burn coal, but need logs and twigs to start the fire off and also at the end of the night, I can add a quick burning log instead of coal to keep the fire going should it threaten to die down too early.
I've got an art deco fireplace and was sorely tempted to buy the art deco design log basket from the same company, but I really like the leaf design.
Comment Comment | Permalink

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Stihl moisture meter, 20 Nov. 2015
This product does exactly what it says. It measures damp in wood or plaster. Checked my own house for dampness and none so far, but it's been a boon for measuring the dampness of the wood for my open coal fire.
Damp wood smokes a lot and even wood that looks dry can actually be pretty wet. Have a mixture of garden wood and shop-bought logs. My local supplier keeps his sacks outside in the rain and is often damp on delivery. Luckily my fireplace is big enough to leave an array of logs directly in front of burning fire to dry out. Generally just takes 2 or 3 days with frequent turnings.
The Stihl moisture meter tells me when it is dry enough to burn with little smoke. This is important because I sometimes suffer smoke blow-back into the room, depending on the direction of the wind.
I've not had it long enough to measure battery life, but it's getting used a lot these days now that winter is almost here.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Mesh fencing to keep dog in, 20 Nov. 2015
Bought this to add strength to a fence covered in chicken wire to keep the dog secure in the garden. Dog had already learned how to rip chicken wire off and escape. He's still confused as to how to rip a hole in this mesh fencing. Holding so far...

ClimeMET CM2000 Professional Wireless Weather Station Includes FREE Easy Weather Computer Software.
Offered by The UK Weather Store

3.0 out of 5 stars Anenometer Fail, 20 Nov. 2015
This weather station was fiddly to put together, but once in place can be moved around easily enough. I've now moved mine three times, trying to find the best position to catch the wind in a garden sheltered by large trees and shrubs. It's now secured to the top of a garden trellised archway, away from other tall structures as advised.

The wind sensor just does not work properly. The highest reading it has ever shown is 9.5mph. Yet the other day we suffered a storm with winds of 60 - 70mph. Leaves, twigs and even small branches were flying around horizontally. Trees bent over in the gusts and the anenometer was whirling so fast it was hard to see, yet the top reading was just 6.5mph! Maybe if I ignore the decimal point it might be accurate.

As for the other sensors, the rain gauge seems to be pretty spot on, except for the two months when it read zero despite the rain. Turned out a spider had built a web inside it. Once cleared out all was fine again.

I had to change the outdoor batteries after just 4 months of use, but those were the batteries that came with it and who knows how old they were.

The temperature gauge is too sensitive to sunlight, but that could be fixable with some kind of cover, else by moving the sensor to an area where sunlight does not reach. There is plenty of cable supplied to do so.

The reading unit is great. The barometer is accurate and the clock keeps excellent time. I love how it can connect to the mains.

All in all, I am fairly happy with this unit apart from the deep disappointment over the inaccuracy of the wind gauge which was what I really wanted to work as I already had an indoor/outdoor thermometer, a barometer and a rain gauge in the form of a tube to actually collect and measure rainfall.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 29, 2016 4:44 PM BST

Nescafe Alta Rica Coffee 150 g (Pack of 6)
Nescafe Alta Rica Coffee 150 g (Pack of 6)
Offered by E.U. Xtores

5.0 out of 5 stars Nescafe Alta Rica Multi-pack, 1 Nov. 2015
My favourite instant coffee at a good price. Lasted a year. Need to order more soon.
Ugh! Just saw current price and it has gone up by a lot!

Tusk Treadle Galvanised Feeder - 20kg
Tusk Treadle Galvanised Feeder - 20kg

3.0 out of 5 stars Treadle Feeder, 1 Nov. 2015
My hens must be extra-thick because they can't work out how to use it. I've had the feeder for a couple of months now and the feed I initially put in is still there along with a huge family of earwigs. I'm sure the hens would make a quick meal of those too given the opportunity. I've watched them pecking around it, and even though they are big, fat heavy hens, it takes two of them to stand on the treadle at the same time for it to swing open. I'd happily uprate this review to 5 stars if someone can tell me how to make it release easier. It doesn't seem jammed and easily opens if I press on the treadle. It's a good idea that is just not working out for me.

ScatterBox 45 x 45 cm Portia Floral Cushion, Wine Red
ScatterBox 45 x 45 cm Portia Floral Cushion, Wine Red

5.0 out of 5 stars Portia Floral Cushions, 1 Nov. 2015
These cushions are the prettiest things I have bought in a long time. Even visitor comment on how pretty they are. The fabric is heavy and solid and if you need cushions that offer support when sitting as well as being nice to look at, then buy these. Real quality!

SPOOL AND LINE A6481-XJ By BLACK & DECKER
SPOOL AND LINE A6481-XJ By BLACK & DECKER

5.0 out of 5 stars Black & Decker Spool and Line, 1 Nov. 2015
This is the real deal. A genuine Black & Decker spool and line. Had trouble locating a supplier because no-one locally sells them. I'm on to my third this year due to having a wide area of difficult terrain to keep under control. It's sloping and uneven and unsuitable for a lawn mower. The weed and grass were knee high, so it's been a huge amount of work. Have even got a spare spool and line ready for next season, bought from this supplier.

iRobot Roomba 780 Vacuum Cleaning Robot
iRobot Roomba 780 Vacuum Cleaning Robot

5.0 out of 5 stars Roomba 780, 1 Nov. 2015
I love my Roomba! I never bothered learning the timer settings because I am nearly always home but every other day Dolly, as I call her, just sets off on her own in her never-ending quest for dirt and returns herself to re-charge. It is possible the dog sets her off. All I have to do is empty the bin when the red light shows, and scrub out the brushes on a regular basis.
I've got a bad back and using the normal vacuum cleaner, a Dyson, hurts.
I still take the Dyson to the carpets for a deep clean, but weekly now instead of daily.
I've had Dolly (so-called because she is a bit dolly (daft)) for about 10 months now and wonder how I ever managed without her. She is so entertaining to watch as she makes her way around and gets stuck in odd corners, but keeps trying until she gets out again. Then promptly goes back in!
She's not especially noisy, quieter than most vacuums, but you really don't want her working away in the same room where you are trying to watch TV or listen to the radio, so it's best set her to work in another room until such time you are finished doing whatever.
Make sure you have no trailing wires or soft toys, or even empty plastic bags lying on the floor because she will have a go at cleaning them up too. If she gets entangled, she just stops and beeps for your attention and it's easy to disentangle her.
This has been a great buy, so much so I bought one for my daughter too!

Ridder 7824180-350 Terry Rug 70 x 120 cm 100 % Cotton Classic Terra
Ridder 7824180-350 Terry Rug 70 x 120 cm 100 % Cotton Classic Terra

5.0 out of 5 stars Ridder Towelling Rug, 1 Nov. 2015
Perfect for a wet room. Towelling rug is thick, heavy, absorbent and looks good too. Have bought several. They wash well and do not crumple like many rugs do.

Page: 1 | 2