Profile for Mr_Peeks > Reviews

C# in Depth
C# in Depth
by Jon Skeet

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastically Well Written, 10 Dec. 2010
This review is from: C# in Depth (Paperback)
C# in Depth 2nd Edition is the most well written book on C# I've read. The author manages to explain some difficult concepts in clear, meaningful ways with useful examples. I could always understand where and why I'd utilise certain aspects of C#.

I don't think the book is targeted at beginners ('in depth' gives that away) but the friendly, sometimes humorous language is always engaging - it sometimes felt like I was reading a novel which is a real credit to the author.

The author's expertise in the language shines through and I found the book answering each and every question I had - usually in the next sentence. I found the section of generic and interface variance particularly useful as it's a topic I've tried to understand previously - but failed. I was slightly disappointed to find there was nothing on the Task Parallel Library but it's understandable given that it's part of the .Net library not the language itself.

I'd recommend this book for any C# developer wanting to up their game by appreciating a deeper understanding of the language features that are often underused or misunderstood.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 18, 2010 11:00 AM GMT

Practical Numerical Methods with C#
Practical Numerical Methods with C#
by Jack Xu

4.0 out of 5 stars Very useful starting point for numerical methods, 8 April 2010
I was sceptical about buying this book because there's not a lot of information about it, in particular which version of C# and .Net it was targetting. But I took the leap and didn't regret it. The author has written the code in Visual Studio 2008 and makes occasional reference to C# 2.0 features but the vast majority of the code uses plain old arrays.

The chapters were exactly what I wanted (curve fitting, linear systems, calculus etc) and each topic was very well introduced with the formulae and background information followed by the realisation of the maths in code. This is the books slight fault for me. It's simply a translation between maths to code. There's no attempt to use some of the advanced features of .Net (such as LINQ) so I think the book is more language agnostic than aimed at C#, and no method of alternative algorithms that may be faster than a direct translation from the maths.

Overall it's a great starting point and once I understood how the maths works I was able to adapt them to use LINQ, generics etc. I would recommend it to anyone with a interest in numerical methods but not if you're interested in algorithm design for mathematical methods.