Profile for Shaun Hinchy > Reviews

Shaun Hinchy

No Heroes
No Heroes

5.0 out of 5 stars The Best Converge Album Yet!, 27 Nov 2006
This review is from: No Heroes (Audio CD)
I've been following Converge for quite some time now and I've always loved it when they add an atmospheric, brooding dark sound to the tracks; which they do so well. They did it superbly with a lot of Jane Doe and for a while I hailed it as their masterwork. Then recently I picked up this; and I have to say that it has quickly become my favourite Converge album. It's still got the energetic frantic frenzy signature sound, but it also has a lot of slower dark melodies that they play around with; overall though it's a brilliant mix of the two. Standout tracks for me are To the Lions, Plagues and possibly my favourite converge song Grim Heart / Black Rose; which even has a bit of singing for good measure. If you're into either Energetic Hardcore or Atmospheric Hardcore defiantly check this album out.

Unknown Pleasures
Unknown Pleasures

2.0 out of 5 stars Unknown Pleasures!!!, 28 Dec 2004
This review is from: Unknown Pleasures (Audio CD)
I first learnt about joy division from a friend of mine; I was told many great things about both them and Ian Curtis. There constant praise and appeal by others, caught my interest and I decided I would take a look into there music. After a little research I decided I would buy 'Unknown Pleasures' as many hailed it their best work. On first listen it struck me straight away that the vocal work on this album was very bad. I passed it on as simple something that would take a little getting used to, but after many listens it remains the real down point benifactor of this CD.
I would first like to say that the music is fairly good and for it's time it was truely different. However it's Ian's vocals that really let this album down. To put it simply, he could not sing and it's a real shame because there is real pentential underneith. Unfortunatly it sounds like a tone-deaf drunk guy trying to sing over a rather well written instrumental piece of music. Many people tell me the lyrics were meaning-full and that he was trying to reach a certain mood. However there is a distinguishible difference between trying to create a certain mood and someone who is very bad at singing; it's pretty obvious that Ian Curtis is the later. So all in all, the music is well written and has some catachy well placed melodies but it's buried beneif a wall of dreadful, tone-deaf vocal work.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 31, 2012 5:33 PM GMT

Earthling
Earthling

5.0 out of 5 stars EART HL I NG RE VIE W, 24 Sep 2003
This review is from: Earthling (Audio CD)
If you are thinking of buying this album with the expectation of some classic Bowie guitar driven music, then think again (this is a far cry from space oddity). The best way I could describe this album would be to call it "Drum N' Bass Bowie"... This album takes a more industrial side to the music of Bowie, with many techno and drum n' bass drum loops popping in and out of the scene. It also shows just how much talent Bowie is, being able to create a genre he's not exactly known for and making songs better than most comparisable artists. For me the stand out track is 'Telling Lies' and fantastic piece which sees a transformation from drum n' bass to modern rock (it even contains two drum layers). I don't know why I love this album so much, maybe it's the great use of harmonics or melody, either way I would recomend this to any fans of Bowie's more modern music and anyone who's willing to expand there horizons...