Profile for Amy Palko > Reviews

Content by Amy Palko

Amy Palko (Edinburgh, Scotland)

Sins & Needles (The Artists Trilogy #1)
Sins & Needles (The Artists Trilogy #1)

5.0 out of 5 stars Loved it! Loved it! Loved it!, 25 Jan 2013
This is Karina Halle's first paranormal fiction, and I, for one, fell completely in love with both Ellie & Camden. Karina's characterisation is always first class, but I particularly loved the depth and complexity of, not only her primary characters in Sins & Needles, but also her secondary. That said, her deft touch with characterisation does not detract from the pace of her plot which had me near breathless on occasion. I truly cannot wait for the next book in this trilogy!

The Fire Starter Sessions
The Fire Starter Sessions
by Danielle LaPorte
Price: 10.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Consider my fire stoked!, 1 April 2012
I am one of those who have followed Danielle on Twitter for a while now, subscribed to her blog and purchased The Firestarter Sessions when it was still only available as an e-programme. When I saw that she was bringing out The Firestarter Sessions as a book, I knew I'd buy it, but I didn't honestly expect it to be all the different from the programme I'd already purchased, read, re-read and recommended to anyone who would listen to me!

Danielle's described it as akin to the moment when Dorothy moves from black and white to glorious technicolor, and I would agree that the book is both the same as the original and oh so much better. Which is saying something, cos it was really excellent to begin with.

Here, we find the prose polished to a sparkling shine, the structure improved with a greater coherence and new anecdotes added and old anecdotes fleshed out and juiced up. Overall, I found her book accessible, exciting, inspiring and highly motivating. Seriously, if this doesn't get your mojo moving, nothing will.

The book is divided into 3 sections: Mojo, Moxie & Results covering everything from money & time to dreaming, fear, failure, desire and my personal favourite - the metrics of ease (What would your life be like if you did only what was easy?)

Oh, and the other thing I should say - The Firestarter Sessions isn't just for entrepreneurs - it's for everyone. Danielle will reconnect you to your inner flame with grace, humility, clarity and humour - a truly dynamic combination.

Birdy
Birdy
Price: 7.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Hauntingly beautiful covers & others, 11 Feb 2012
This review is from: Birdy (MP3 Download)
I generally shy away from albums of cover versions, but this is really excellent. Birdy's choice of songs from folk classics (James Taylor's Fire & Rain) to more modern classics-in-the-making (Bon Iver's Skinny Love and The XX's Shelter) is truly inspired, and she has such a fragile, tender delivery that I can honestly say that, in some cases (The District Sleeps Alone Tonight & White WInter Hymnal), her version is now my favourite. There is only one original song in this album (Without A Word), and I think it says a lot that it holds its own in the midst of more familiar favourites. I'm looking forward to future music from this bright young thing, especially to watch her continue to spread her songwriting wings. I think this must be my most played album of 2012 so far - I just keep coming back to it. And I think you might too.

Yoga and the Path of the Urban Mystic
Yoga and the Path of the Urban Mystic
by Darren Main

5.0 out of 5 stars Want to Deepen Your Yoga Practice?, 10 Jan 2012
Darren gives us such a gift in this book. Recommended by a friend, I bought this at a point in my life when I was just brand new to yoga, and it took my practice to a whole other level.

This book is not a 'how-to' as such, but it is a guide to integrating your yoga practice into your everyday. It explains some philosophical and esoteric concepts in easy to understand language, and there is much that I took from this book which continues to colour the way I perceive my life now.

If you're looking to deepen your yoga practice above and beyond a good way to keep supple and strong, then this book is definitely worth checking out. Oh, and I should say too, that I followed up this book by downloading the free workbook that accompanies Yoga & the Path of the Urban Mystic. I recommend you do too!

Goddess Inspiration Oracle
Goddess Inspiration Oracle
by Kris Waldherr
Edition: Cards

5.0 out of 5 stars My Deck of Choice, 10 Jan 2012
This review is from: Goddess Inspiration Oracle (Cards)
I've dabbled with many different oracle decks, but when I got Kris Waldherr's Goddess Inspiration Oracle, I knew I'd found my match/ Beautifully illustrated, this is an extensive deck consisting of 80 goddesses ranging from Abeona (Roman goddess of departures) to The Zorya (a Russian trinity of guardian goddesses). You can probably tell just from those two, that this deck includes some really unusual goddesses and from a truly global perspective. Ukemochi (Japan), Ogboinba (Nigeria), Saci (India), Anuket (Egypt), Cimidye (Ticuna), Nyai Loro Kidun (Java) and Rhiannon (Wales) are all present along with some of the more well-known Venus, Isis, Freyja, Persephone & Pele.

Each goddess card has an image and a very short message, while the guidebook gives a longer description along with a few key themes associated with each goddess. There are a few suggestions for different ways to read the cards too.

All in all, this is by far my favourite deck to work with, and I find that their messages and stories really resonate with me. If you're looking to deepen your connection to the goddesses, then I highly recommend that you add these to your intuitive toolbox.

Lost & Found
Lost & Found

5.0 out of 5 stars Hauntingly Beautiful, 10 Jan 2012
This review is from: Lost & Found (MP3 Download)
Oh, how do I even go about telling you just how beautiful Liane's voice is? Smoky, smooth, soulful, silky... just gorgeous. And the songs? Well, No Room For Doubt was the track that I heard first, and it was on the strength of that track that I bought Lost & Found. The duet with Willy Mason is really unusual and one which I think works really well. Lost and Found makes me cry. Age makes me smile. Night School reminds me of Sade for some reason, and Final Form makes me long for a longer album.

Seriously one to watch, Liane so should have at least appeared in the Sound of 2011 shortlist - was shocked that she wasn't.

The Angel Code: Your Interactive Guide to Angelic Communication
The Angel Code: Your Interactive Guide to Angelic Communication
by Chantel Lysette
Price: 13.26

4.0 out of 5 stars Encouraging & Inspiring, 10 Jan 2012
The thing I like about Chantel Lysette's writing about angels, apart from her humorous heart-felt prose, is that she delivers her own experience of the angels without negating anybody else's. I've read a lot of books about angels, and so many of them try to fix their own experience to some kind of definitive understanding. Chantel doesn't do that. She wants you to have your own experience, and this book is written to help you do just that.

It's split into 5 sections (Introducing the Angels, Opening the Channels, Angelic Associations, Setting the Foundation, Angelic Manifestations) and there are 12 exercises with allocated space in the text to journal your responses. I would say that this book is a really good introduction for people who are interested in connecting to the angels on their own terms, rather than consuming more mediated experiences of the divine.

Ruby Slippers
Ruby Slippers
Price: 0.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Completely Absorbing, 26 Oct 2011
This review is from: Ruby Slippers (Kindle Edition)
A truly beautifully written story. I downloaded this story on my iphone while I was on the bus, and swiftly became so absorbed that I nearly missed my stop!

The Ruby Slippers tells the tale of a young woman who walks out of one life and into another, tapping into something I think we all find ourselves contemplating at some point in our lives. Sophie Nicholls' writing is deeply evocative - she has a clear love of language which comes through in the way she creates a whole world from her heroine's perspective.

An absolute must-read!

Just Get on with It!: A Caring, Compassionate Kick Up the Ass!
Just Get on with It!: A Caring, Compassionate Kick Up the Ass!
by Ali Campbell
Price: 7.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Future Personal Development Classic, 2 Jan 2010
Just Get On With It ticks all the right boxes to become a future personal development classic. It's well-written, motivational, inspiring, entertaining and accessible. As other reviewers have already noted, Campbell's voice is strongly present throughout the prose, which gives the sense that you are receiving a personal coaching session by one of the best in the business. His use of personal anecdotes results in entertaining metaphors, which are then explained and deconstructed in order to teach readers how to stop sabotaging themselves and their potential. My particular favourite chapters which demonstrate this technique are 'Do You Have a Gay Boyfriend, Too?' and 'Are You a Duck on the M6?'

What I also appreciated was Campbell's use of contemporary context; the credit crunch and its effect on the motivational malaise of 2009 is touched upon, making this book a must-read for all those seeking a 2010 brimming with positive change.