Profile for Ben Thurston > Reviews

How I Escaped My Certain Fate
How I Escaped My Certain Fate
by Stewart Lee

5.0 out of 5 stars A deadly serious, hilarious book., 29 July 2010
This book is perhaps the funniest book I have ever read. Stewart Lee has consistently been one of the funniest comedians in the country and his apparently arrogant yet always self-deprecating style has been brilliantly realised on the page. He shows a thoughtfulness and integrity that puts previous controversies about his work into context and also provides a fascinating peek behind the subjects of his stand-up set to reveal complexity, planning and yet more humour behind them.

One of the things that stands out about his stand-up work is how much of it he does to amuse himself, and how he is well aware and largely in control of alienating and regaining his live audiences.

The transcripts of his live sets are really interesting as the copious footnotes give them new depth, but they read pretty well too - although probably better for having watched the sets on dvd. I can't recommend this book highly enough for anyone interested in Stewart Lee in particular or stand up in general. It will make you laugh.

One thing, if you're easily offended, then I would urge you to read this book - you'll be offended, but it raises a lot of ideas about why you might be offended, and why Stewart Lee has bothered to offend you.

Why Freud Was Wrong: Sin, Science and Psychoanalysis
Why Freud Was Wrong: Sin, Science and Psychoanalysis
by Richard Webster
Price: 16.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 27 Jan 2009
This is a great book, really gripping and interesting and, for anyone with any knowledge of Freudian history, absolutely full of insight. Frequently I have found myself nodding at his analysis of a flaw in Freud's thinking that had entirely escaped me. Freud was a master of appearing to provide new and complete answers and it takes a very sharp thinker to accurately pinpoint the gaps and inconsistencies. Richard Webster has achieved that in this book. Highly recommended.