Profile for M. R. Dangerfield > Reviews

Content by M. R. Dangerfield

M. R. Dangerfield (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Storytone
Storytone
Offered by MediaMine

1.0 out of 5 stars Try before you buy, 15 Jan. 2015
This review is from: Storytone (Audio CD)
I read a review of this album, where it was described as Neil Young`s Blood on the Tracks"; more like "I cut my finger please can I have a plaster" .Although his voice remains free from the ravages of a rock and roll life, the same cannot be said of his powers as a lyricist, nor his overall judgement in releasing this so soon after the indulgence of A Letter Home. Neil Young was, sometimes still is, an artist that can wring a great deal from very little, just listen to Ramada Inn from the wonderful Psychedelic Pill, and try not to be blown away. I did have the foresight to listen to this album, and I would recommend anyone else to do the same.

Things We Left Behind
Things We Left Behind

5.0 out of 5 stars See my review of are you ready for my thoughts ..., 20 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Things We Left Behind (Audio CD)
See my review of are you ready for my thoughts on this band. Again, I sourced a second hand copy of this album, but I now see that a new copy is cheaper than the second hand. There is a subtle change in the texture of some of these songs, in that keyboards are the lead instruments, providing a subtle texture that recalls the Nasville sound of Blonde on Blonde, although the final track, the mighty Venus Rising, is dominated by an ominous and majestic, lead guitar.

Are You Ready
Are You Ready

5.0 out of 5 stars I sourced a second hand copy in excellent condition. It was delivered, 20 Oct. 2014
This review is from: Are You Ready (Audio CD)
I first heard this band a few years ago on Bob Harris Country a few years ago, and made a mental note to investigate
further, but was put off by the prices, as they were mainly imports. However, after hearing a track recently, I sourced a second hand copy in excellent condition. It was delivered, from America while I was on holiday, and I still get an adolescent buzz out of seeing the import stamps. Like most music these days, it got it`s first play in the car, and I thought it was ok, but nothing special, but after a few more plays, the beauty and craft of these songs, and the musicianship, was revealed. It is timeless music, with a country heart, but there are other sources here as well, that shape the work in the most subtle of ways.

Official Release Series Discs 1-4
Official Release Series Discs 1-4

5.0 out of 5 stars A Bargain of Rare Quality, 12 July 2014
Just a brief review to comment on the value of this set rather than the content. Excellent value for money, and what a difference the re-mastering has made, particularly to the first album which I had not heard since the original vinyl release. The content is, of course, exceptional, with each album being a different shade of genius.

Central Park Concert
Central Park Concert

2.0 out of 5 stars One album was enough, 17 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Central Park Concert (Audio CD)
I have to be honest, and say I bought this album because it was very cheap, and the reviews were good, although there was some criticism of the sound, which I did find a little muddy. The first album I bought was Live In Italy, which, in the main, I really like. The songs are better, the sound is excellent, as is the musicianship, the band, and songs benefiting from the guitarist who was not in the band at the time of Central Park. This may well be a personal preference, but to my ears, it is a far more interesting proposition.

Fisherman's Box: The Complete Fisherman's Blues Sessions 1986-88 [6 Disc Box Set]

5.0 out of 5 stars Reaching for the Stars, 23 Dec. 2013
I have always liked the Waterboys,and Mike Scott`s vision of the "big music". The original Fisherman's Blues album was like a breath of fresh air blowing through the sterile air of 1980s synthesizers, although Room to Roam rather passed me by. When I saw that there was an anniversary tour, I bought tickets and also this box set, and was completely blown away by the concert and the unreleased music. Many 're-releases, are padded out with repetition of the familiar, usually at an inflated price, and are rarely bought out after the initial burst of curiosity, but this is a treasure trove. The scope is staggering, no less than 6 albums all running over 70 minutes. Although there are versions of songs from the original album, there is a vast amount of outstanding material, both original and covers, that has been gathering dust for all those years. The only comparison that comes to mind, is The Bootleg Series, and I can think of no higher praise. As Mike Scott said in Birmingham, " The original album was only a sampler";how right he was.

The Quarry
The Quarry

3.0 out of 5 stars 3rd Time Unlucky, 7 Sept. 2013
This review is from: The Quarry (Kindle Edition)
I suspect that the tragic cirumstances surrounding the completion of this novel, and it's subject, may have resulted in the somewhat subjective nature of the five star reviews. I found this book to be a dissapointment, mainly because it was the third re-write of The Crow Road, his undoubted masterpiece. The Steep Approach to Garbadale, and Stonemouth, all explored very familiar territory, namely the return of a prodigal son, and a mysterious family conflict/secret and the re-kindling of old relationships. He was certainly a very eclectic writer, and Dead Air was the sort of thing Martin Amis might have written if he had not been so pompous. 3 stars for manging to complete the final project, but give a listen to Warren Zevon's The wind for a last work of real quality under the same circumstances.

High Tide
High Tide
Offered by jim-exselecky

4.0 out of 5 stars High in the Sky, 20 Mar. 2013
This review is from: High Tide (Audio CD)
Many more years ago than I care to remember, I bought a sampler CD on the Liberty label, called Gutbucket, and long after it was gone, a couple of tracks still spun around in my head. One was called The Wall, and there was another by High Tide called walking down the outlook. A friend had this album, which did not include the aforementioned track, but did make an impression because of the interplay between the violin and the guitar. Jump foward 30 plus years, and I have a voucher burning a hole in my computer, So, risking great disappointment, I press the order button. Was I disappointed ? certainly not, what I got was what I expected. A somewhat tinny sound, interesting lyrics, rather weak vocals, but several instrumental passages that reach for the stars. The bonus tracks are, in the main alternate versions,, but are well worth having. If you are old enough to remember with fondness the music that shaped your youth in the psychedelic era, this music will neither embarass nor disappoint i may well now buy their other album, despite the lesser reviews.

Waging Heavy Peace: A Hippie Dream
Waging Heavy Peace: A Hippie Dream
by Neil Young

2.0 out of 5 stars Heavy Jelly, 13 Jan. 2013
This book, terms of value, is a con trick. Five hundred pages with an average of ten words a line, numerous small chapters with a half page gap at the beginning and end of each chapter. In a different format it would be half the
size, but then it would not look like a big impressive book with £25 price tag. Now I am well aware that
quantity does not mean quality, but the content is a woeful rambling mess. The whole thing reads like a stream of consciousness from someone who has decided tthat he will use his songwriting technique, which at times is truly inspired, as a literary tool. I love the music of Neil Young, see my review of his last album, and it is a wonder of the rock world that he his voice shows no signs of sgeing, but if he was really serious about writing an autobigraphy, he shouls have enlisted some help. The chronology rambles backwards and forwards, and then back again to repeat some trivial detail about cars or trains or how wonderful his wife anf family are. Now there is a place for these sort of details, but what is sadly missing is the music which is what made Neil Young who he is today. Perhaps he can't remember, but on the evidence of his archives, that seems unlikely, more like laziness.

Psychedelic Pill
Psychedelic Pill

5.0 out of 5 stars Almost Home, 5 Jan. 2013
This review is from: Psychedelic Pill (Audio CD)
Of all the legendary artists from the golden age age of music that are still practising their craft, Neil Young is perhaps the most venearble. Over the years, he has assumed many guises, flitted in and out of different styles, in a constant effort to keep his muse alive, but in truth, he has changed very little because he always comes back to where it all began. Like many people, some of his albums have left me indifferent, Le Noise was a recent example, but I was always curious to see what would be next. When I read the first reviews of this album, I knew that it could be a classic, but decided to add it to my Xmas list instead of making an immediate purchase. Opening an album with a 27 minute track is just another day at the office for Neil, and what a track it is. This is a song with extended instrumenatl passages, rather than a few throway lines as an excuse for an guitar solo. I have listened to it several times, and find that it sounds fresh and different every time, you don't have to look for significance or relevance, it finds you. Ramada Inn is the other key track. Again it is long, but the guitar and lyrics blend togrther seamlessly, and the chorus is both heartbreaking and uplifting at the same time. The guitar playing, of which there is a lot, sounds slightly more mellow to my ears, but it still takes you on a journey and brings you safely back home. I suppose that the subject matter of these songs, would have more appeal to people of a similar age, but although the subject tends to be looking back at a life, there is still a momentum and a drive that will continue, hopefully, for many more years.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4