Profile for Dave H > Reviews

Content by Dave H

Dave H (United Kingdom)

Page: 1 | 2
Mpow® Phantom Wireless Bluetooth Headphones Headphone, Built in Mic Hands-free Calling, 3.5mm Audio Input, No ANC
Offered by Patox

4.0 out of 5 stars The build quality is really good for the price - very impressive, 26 Jun. 2015
I was sent these headphones to review and am committed to an honest and fair review.

These arrived quickly and were really well packaged. The build quality is really good for the price - very impressive.

They paired immediately to my phone and sound quality was good. This improved considerably with a bit more use - as is often the case with headphones.

They come with a 3.5mm lead to enable them to be used without bluetooth, which is handy.

The only downside for me is that the voice quality during handsfree phone calls is not brilliant. However, this really isn't the primary purpose of headphones like these so its certainly not a big deal for me.

I previously had a set of Bose headphones that cost 10x what these do. They were not 10x as good!

[Apple MFI Certified] Anker Lightning to USB Cable 3ft / 0.9m with Ultra Compact Connector Head for iPhone 6 6Plus 5s 5c 5, iPad Air Air2 mini mini2 mini3, iPad 4th gen, iPod touch 5th gen, and iPod nano 7th gen (Black)
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars Probably not the most exciting product in the world but ..., 22 April 2015
Probably not the most exciting product in the world but. importantly, it just works. I've purchased many non-Apple leads and Anker's are the only ones that I have found to be reliable.

iPhone 6 Battery Case [Apple MFi Certified] Anker® Premium Extended Battery Case for iPhone 6 (4.7 inch) with 3100mAh Capacity / 130% Extra Battery (Black)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent case, 7 Feb. 2015
This case attracted me because I sometimes have long working days with lengthy train journeys. Often, at the end of these days, I have very little iPhone battery life left.

The packaging is really nice - Anker seem to have a similar philosophy to Apple in that they want the unboxing experience to be something you remember. The solid cardboard box box is substantial and ‘fits together’ really well. This doesn’t really make a great deal of difference to the end product but its a really nice touch - and it would take a lot of bad treatment in transit for the contents to be damaged in any way.

My initial reaction on opening the box was that the battery didn’t seem very big. The battery section is probably slightly thicker than iPhone 6 so once fitted, the whole thing is around twice the thickness of the standalone phone. While this sounds a fair bit, I don’t have to go too far back in my life to remember the days when I’d have loved a phone this thin.

Fitting the case is really easy. The phones slips into the case and then the top section is clipped on. Once fitted, the case just feels part of the phone. The first couple of times I removed the case, I found it quite tight and difficult but it quickly eased up a little and is now absolutely fine.

With the case fitted, the whole thing is obviously bigger than a standalone iPhone 6. However, it very quickly becomes ‘what you’re used to’ and I stopped noticing the size. The case has a nice rubbery feel which is good for grip and, I imagine, would give good protection from dropping.

There’s a few things to point out about using the case:

1) It works! I fully charged the phone and case 36 hours ago. Since then I have used the phone as I usually do. It has not been switched off once. I have made a few calls, regularly checked email etc, used for about an hour and a half of satnav (TomTom) which is usually a big battery drain, 2 or 3 hours of listening to music and 3 or so hours of watching video. 36 hours on, the case battery is flat but the iPhone still has 65% battery remaining. It will easily get to 48 hours. If I hadn’t used the satnav and video, then I expect I’d have got 72 hours of battery life.

2) The case has a clever system of ‘piping’ sound from the speakers to the front of the case because the speaker holes are blocked by the case. This works really well and, to my ears at least, I think it has increased the volume from the speakers

3) The headphone jack is embedded deep in the case. Anker provide a short extension and this works really well. Personally, I would have really liked the extension to be manufactured into the case - I use two different sets of headphones and so it means having to remember to keep the extension with me. I expect few people use different headphones so I may not be a typical user in this regard. Maybe a second extension could be included though if that wouldn’t add much cost?

4) Charging is via micro usb so you need to have one of these with you if you want to charge the case. I tend to have one anyway for other devices so its not an issue - and a lead is supplied by Anker with the case

Overall I am really pleased with this. I won’t use it every day as I don’t need the extended life every day but I will definitely be using it whenever I am commuting by train. And, for a weekend away, I will no longer need to take a charger with me.

If you’re looking for this kind of product then I would highly recommend considering this.

iPhone 6 Case, Zolo Tough Case for iPhone 6 (4.7 inch) by Anker® DROP TESTED Magnetic Connect Design [18-Month Warranty] (Carbon)
Offered by AnkerDirect

5.0 out of 5 stars A great case but even more interested in the growing concept, 1 Nov. 2014
This is a fascinating concept and I am really looking forward to seeing how the systems develops.

I recently started using a different very thin and light Anker case for my iPhone 6 which I really like as it adds so little additional bulk.

Then this one came along and I think that Anker have come up with a really good idea with the magnetic aspect.

The case itself is an excellent fit and is focussed on providing really good quality protection rather than being the thinest it can be. That is not to say that it is big at all - it just adds a mm or so compared to the very lightweight case that I've previously been using.

Where the idea is fascinating is with the magnetic aspect. Anker are promising a number of accessories that I think could be really interesting to pair up with the case. However, you don't actually have to use the Anker accessories. I immediately tried putting my phone onto my fridge and, yes, it worked. Now I have no idea why I would want to mount my phone on my fridge but that's not really the point. I'm interested in the idea of having a small metal bracket in the car that is discretely mounted and simply allows the phone to be placed on it.

I've used a number of Anker products before and they do come up with some interesting ideas - I'm really looking forward to seeing this one develop. And, until then, it's a really good quality case!

Anker® [2-Pack] Ultra Thin Soft TPU Transparent Cover Cases for iPhone 6 4.7 inch (1 Crystal Clear + 1 Space Grey) [18-Month Warranty]

5.0 out of 5 stars Recommended, 28 Oct. 2014
I'm adding to this review as I have recently been using another of the Anker cases on this page. My previous review is below.

Anker® Ultra Protective Case With Built-in Clear Screen Protector

I generally prefer a very thin cover (see my review below for the one I use) but I also wanted to have something a bit more substantial for times when the phone is a bit more at risk - cycling, out in the snow, etc.

The Ultra Protective case arrived with really good quality packaging. The case comes in two parts and there are basic instructions on how to fit it - not complicated at all but still useful to have the explanation for the first time.

You first fit the phone into the front section (which has the built in screen protector) and then that section fits inside the back section. This means that there is overlap of the front and rear sections around the side, adding to the substantial protection.

Once fitted, the case does add a little size but not as much as I thought it might. It certainly doesn't cause any issue in use - still fits nicely into my pocket. Very quickly I stopped noticing any difference.

I wasn't sure what to expect from the built in screen protector but it's works really well. Its a really good quality plastic and doesn't affect the use of the screen. The only thing I'd point out is that it is important to ensure your screen is clean before fitting the case - any bits of dirt could scratch the actual screen if stuck between the screen itself and the screen protector. Fairly common sense though.

All the controls are easy to use. There are good quality covers over the headphone and charging port and these will be very useful if I drop the phone in snow.

The actual feel of the case is really nice. It feels very grippy and the back has an almost soft feel. Really nice.

In summary, I will definitely be using this case when I need more protection - and its so easy to use that I suspect it may just stay on a lot of the rest of the time as well. I still like the very thin case that I also use (below) but this is going to get plenty of use.

Really pleased with it.

OTHER REVIEW BELOW

Anker® [2-Pack] Ultra Thin Soft TPU Transparent Cover Cases

I just received this today. When I pre-ordered my iPhone I also ordered a cheap'n'nasty case that did the job but added bulk.

These Anker cases are really nice. You get both a smoked grey one and a clear one. I prefer the clear.

The case adds very little extra size to the phone and is made out of a softish plastic that should have a little more 'give' if I do the stupid thing and drop it.

There are cutouts for lightning port, speakers, microphone, mute switch and camera lens & flash. The volume controls and power button have molded plastic over them - this is much better than cutouts for these buttons as cutouts make them harder to press. A really good but of design.

Very pleased with this and the price is really competitive.

Anker® 3-Pack Ultra Clear High Response HD Screen Protector for iPhone 6 (4.7 inch) "XTREME Scratch Defender"[Lifetime Warranty]

5.0 out of 5 stars Simple product that just works, 23 Oct. 2014
I have tried various screen protectors over the years for various devices and my experience has been that the Anker items are better than most. This is partly because they include all the 'extras' you need (stiff plastic for removing bubbles, sticky tape for removing dust, lint free cloth) but, even more importantly for me, the screen protector itself is really high quality. They are perfectly cut and the actual material is excellent - no ripples or discolouration that I've experienced with other protectors.

This item is no different to previous Anker protectors I've tried and I'm very pleased with it. It was easy to apply (3-4 minutes) and fits perfectly. The shape of the iPhone 6 screen is slightly rounded at the edges so the screen protector can't go all the way to the edge. They seem to have got the size just right though so that all of the flat part of the screen is protected, without the risk of edges lifting because of the curvature.

I'm very pleased with this and would recommend it.

JETech® Apple iPhone 6 Case 4.7" Bumper Cover Shock-Absorption Bumper and Anti-Scratch Clear Back for iPhone 6 4.7 Inch Release on 2014 (4.7" iPhone 6 Case, Black)
Offered by JEDirect UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 22 Sept. 2014
Really pleased with this case. Adds very little bulk to the phone but offers good protection. Highly recommended.

Remember to Forget
Remember to Forget

5.0 out of 5 stars What a thought provoking read, 1 May 2014
This is a local author to me but I don't know him and I had no idea what to expect. However, a couple of pages into the book and I was hooked. This is a relatively short book but the thought provoking story takes many turns along the way.

It is entertaining as a read but also 'got inside me' and left me thinking. It drives many emotions in the reader.

Very highly recommended.

Mastering the Nikon D610
Mastering the Nikon D610

5.0 out of 5 stars incredibly useful, 20 April 2014
I rarely review but this book really opened me up to using my D610. I'm a semi competent amateur and it has made a huge difference to have this book.

Huge thanks to the author.

Anker® Bluetooth 4.0 Wireless ( Light Hi-Fi ) Stereo Headsets for All Bluetooth Devices

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 23 July 2013
Before I start, I have previously bought Anker products and, on this occasion, I was supplied a sample of these headphones for test and evaluation provided I promised that my review is fair and honest

By way of background, I am a bit of a headphone fan with a variety of in ear and over ear headphones ranging in price from £5 to £300. I therefore in a reasonable position to make comparisons.

The Anker bluetooth headphones are really light and very comfortable to wear. Being so light, the Anker phones feel a little fragile but they seem very well made and I don't feel uncomfortable just stuffing them in a pocket.

The controls work great with volume adjustment on the headphones, along with track skipping. They also have a built in microphone but I haven't made use of this as no-one has phoned me. Perhaps a few more friends are needed.

Wearing wireless headphones is great. I use an iPhone and it is so nice when commuting to not have a cable connecting me to the phone. I tend to be carrying a bag and am regularly using a tablet or laptop on the train. Not having a cable really makes a difference. I also cycle a fair bit and they are great for that - lots of volume and, being so light, they don't fall off.

The instruction manual is very clear and the headphones paired immediately with my phone. After they are switched off, when switched back on later they connect very quickly. Other bluetooth devices that I have are far less reliable.

I can leave my phone in one room at home and carry on listening to music in another but the signal does drop occasionally when in a different room. Having said that, I'm probably not being fair as these are designed to pair with a phone that is in a pocket. When my phone is close to me the sound is great. The sound quality is definitely better than some wired headphones that I have that were considerably more expensive and do not have bluetooth. I am very impressed with sound quality. They stand up very well against other models that are in a similar price range.

Overall, I would recommend these for someone who is commuting or doing sports. For the ultimate audiophile, they may not be the best choice but for those of us who enjoy music 'while doing real life' they are fantastic. They have become my headphones of choice on most occasions because they are so convenient. Definitely recommended.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 17, 2013 12:26 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2