Profile for H. M. Hughes > Reviews

Content by H. M. Hughes

H. M. Hughes (Germany)

The What on Earth? Wallbook of Shakespeare: A Timeline Illustrating the Complete Plays of William Shakespeare
by Christopher Lloyd
Price: 17.50

5.0 out of 5 stars The boys love it, 3 Jun 2014
Christopher Lloyd suggests that if children have exposure to Shakespeare's complete works from the age of 5 they will be far better equipped to deal with the full spectrum of human emotions. During formal education children are rarely guided in how to deal with their feelings, and this may be a way we can help them. All Shakespeare's plays are presented briefly in pictorial form (as Christopher Lloyd says, the plays written to be looked at, not read) with short descriptions of the plot, in an A3 sized format that can be opened up and looked at like a book, or, if you have space, stuck on the wall (this would be good for schools). We also have his "What on Earth" wallbook, but this Shakespeare one has in particular completely captivated the boys' imaginations. Aged from 6 to 10, they can sit for ages trying to interpret the pictures or reading the stories, and have lots of questions which helps me to get thinking too (particularly about the gory ones: there are in fact some similarities to the Horrible Histories!). It works for us, and I would certainly recommend it.

The Decoy Bride [DVD] (2011)
The Decoy Bride [DVD] (2011)
Dvd ~ Kelly Macdonald
Price: 3.40

5.0 out of 5 stars Lovely!, 15 Mar 2013
This review is from: The Decoy Bride [DVD] (2011) (DVD)
If you are a David Tennant or Kelly MacDonald fan, or both, this can't really go wrong (especially if you are a girl...). He's just so tall and she's sooo beautiful! I'm really glad I bought it and have already watched it three times. Good for cheering you up. Sally Phillips has done a great job!

Well
Well
Offered by EliteDigital UK
Price: 21.95

5.0 out of 5 stars A great CD!, 10 Dec 2012
This review is from: Well (Audio CD)
I heard the Klezmatics and Chava Alberstein perform this in London in the late 1990s and it was a fantastic concert - I bought this CD on the spot. Original, full of life, joy and sorrow - I've listened to it lots over the years. So when a friend said she would like a klezmer CD for her birthday recently it was my obvious choice, and I ordered another after all this time.

CBeebies - The Ultimate Christmas Collection [DVD]
CBeebies - The Ultimate Christmas Collection [DVD]
Dvd ~ Cbeebies
Price: 3.74

5.0 out of 5 stars Christmas fun, 10 Jan 2010
We have no TV (by choice!) and DVDs have become an important resource for the bedtime hour! So I thought I'd treat the boys to a Christmas DVD and they just love this one. It was our first taste of The Tweenies and actually they are very entertaining! Tikabilla is just beautiful, with a lovely interpretation of the Christmas story, and I personally cannot stop myself from singing out "I wish it would snow" from Boogie Beebies whenever we go for walks... It's really worth adding to the collection.

Homeopathy for Mother and Baby: Pregnancy, Birth and the Post-natal Year
Homeopathy for Mother and Baby: Pregnancy, Birth and the Post-natal Year
by Miranda Castro

5.0 out of 5 stars A must have for the holistically-minded mother, 4 Feb 2009
A very clear guide on to how to use homoeopathy for physical and emotional problems encountered during pregnancy, birth and infancy. And much more besides, with all sorts of more general information and advice: the book has been an essential companion to me during my pregnancies and my children's early years. You won't be wasting your money!