ARRAY(0xa6a5fee8)

Profile for A reviewer called > Reviews

Content by A reviewer called

A reviewer called "buyeruk03" (London England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4
Collateral Damage [DVD] [2002]
Collateral Damage [DVD] [2002]
Dvd ~ Arnold Schwarzenegger
Price: 2.75

3.0 out of 5 stars Hmmmm......great if you like Arnie!, 11 Jan 2006
This movie is not impressive. Classic Arnie movie, high body count, but a thin script, slightly far fetched action (which most of us love from time to time) After watching this film I was left with a feeling of "seen it all before". What was good about this film? Well its a good movie if you like light entertainment with some heavy action scenes, and dont want to exert your brain cells. Very much the John Wayne effect at work here - same man, same part, but different story in each film. A must for all your Arnie fans, indifference or pass it by if you expect higher things from your DVD entertainment viewing! But if you love the Arnie genre then its definitely for you, and guaranteed not to disappoint.

Shed Men
Shed Men
by Gareth Jones

5.0 out of 5 stars May the Shed be with you!, 1 Jan 2006
This review is from: Shed Men (Hardcover)
As a dog needs a basket so man needs to have his shed!
I bought this book along with "Men and Their Sheds" by Gordon Thorburn.
From weekend newspapers, internet chatter and magazine articles, one thing is beyond doubt. Sheds are on the increase because they offer such potential to do anything you want to do, be it book reading, business or simply collecting bricks (yes someone actually does that!)
Shed Men (published later) humourously shows how diverse people can be when it comes to having a place of their own to get away from it all. A haven of peace and quiet, or a headquarters of frantic entrepreneurial activity, the quirkiness and individuality is clearly shown page by page.
Shed Men is a second offering that captures the imagination showing even more diverse men with increasingly unique sheds! Im sure that after reading this book, you too (if you dont already have one) will want to have a place of your own for whatever reason you wish. So read, have a laugh and let it tweak your imagination. I think thats it...there is nothing more to be shed!

The Best of Dick Emery [DVD]
The Best of Dick Emery [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dick Emery
Price: 6.18

5.0 out of 5 stars A Guaranteed Laugh!!, 26 Dec 2005
This review is from: The Best of Dick Emery [DVD] (DVD)
I remember when Dick Emery was standard Saturday night viewing. This DVD will bring back the memories instantly. Good clean old fashioned (even slightly innocent) humour of a sort that represents a by-gone age along with a generous sprinkling of 1970s fashions.
Dick Emery is truly one of the comedy classic geniuses of our time. Sad that they do not mention him as he too has his place in the BBC Comedy Hall of Fame, along with Morcambe and Wise, Two Ronnies, and Dads Army. I found it hilarious! I showed it to my sister and brother-in-law and they found it hilarious too!
Im normally very picky about buying comedy videos as once youve seen them they cease to be funny. Not so in this case as I watched it at least 3 times. There is also a menu where you can select your favourite sketches and all the familiar characters are there....Sexed Starved Hettie, Toothy Vicar, and not forgetting (my personal favourite) Gaylord with his familiar "DA-AAAAAAD, I THINK I GOT IT WRONG AGAIN!!!!!
I suspect the BBC released this to see how the market place would warm to a DVD release. I will definitely be getting a follow up version when, and if, the BBC decide to release one. I know from having watched the original series there is plenty more excellent material gathering dust somewhere! So buy it and enjoy, because you will be very glad you did.

Men and Sheds
Men and Sheds
by Gordon Thorburn
Price: 6.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Men and their Sheds - a great british institution., 9 Dec 2005
This review is from: Men and Sheds (Hardcover)
A book about men who have their own private den. A retreat away from the cares of life where they are free to engage in their hobbies be it a home made office, lab, workshop or simply a store for collecting things. A snapshot about life itself, showing diverse buildings and the many uses which people put their sheds to. One very minor gripe is that I would have preferred colour pictures which would have brought out a more individual feel, so characteristic of every proud shedder

Day of the Triffids [DVD] [1981]
Day of the Triffids [DVD] [1981]
Dvd ~ John Duttine
Price: 5.85

5.0 out of 5 stars A well written roller coaster ride for a drama., 27 May 2005
I watched this whole DVD in one sitting and found it to be excellent. I havent read the book so I cant judge how true the drama was to the original story. However I can definitely say that a 1960s version of this film is a poor comparison when compared to this outstanding offering by the BBC. So whats good about it? A powerful and compelling piece of drama. Extremely thought provoking and guaranteed to keep your attention rivetted. What it lacks in special effects and props it more than makes up for by really grabbing your thinking by the scruff of the neck. It dwells on the baser side of human nature - the immediate priority of self preservation at the expense of ones fellow man. Attempts by human groups to preserve some sort of moral code when the very fabric of human society is breaking down before ones very eyes. Another excellent feature is the roller coaster story line that revolves round Bill (John Duttine) as he is flung from one situation into another. What's bad about it? Lacking in special effects as I said earlier, (I know I am nit picking a little here but the Triffids dont look very threatening to me) but this really is an example of when less is actually more, and the quality of the storyline highlighting the sheer desparateness of their situation, more than offsets this.

Ray Mears Extreme Survival Series - 1 And 2 [2003] [DVD]
Ray Mears Extreme Survival Series - 1 And 2 [2003] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Ray Mears

5.0 out of 5 stars This is what I call quality TV at its best!, 31 Jan 2005
I love this series not only because of the fantastic places he visits and how to survive in the wilderness, but also how he brings out an enormous awareness and respect for the environment - to take as much as you need to support your existence and nothing more. One of the things which rubbed off on to me is his emphasis on having a positive mental attitude at all times. That alone has made these worth watching and a great source of joy as a prized part of my private DVD collection.

The Prisoner: Volumes 1-5 [DVD] [1967]
The Prisoner: Volumes 1-5 [DVD] [1967]
Dvd ~ Patrick McGoohan

3.0 out of 5 stars Two thirds brilliant one third disappointing., 29 Jan 2005
I have to take issue with people who lavishly praise The Prisoner as some sort of panacea of unassailably wonderful TV. Yes its good - but not that good. Good points? Fantastic music (the tune really gets into your head) Love the car he was driving: Amazing 60s fashions too that help to recapture the spirit of those times, plus 13 out of the first 17 really top of range TV episodes, where McGoohan held prisoner (number 6) in the village,has to use all his cunning and skill to pit his wits against his main captor (number 2). I will leave it to others to outline the plot and surmise whether or not this is a sequal to Danger Man, who he is and why is held prisoner. Now for the bad part...The stories start off very well, some brilliant acting on the part of the Patrick McGoohan and the supporting cast, however the story lines descend into becoming zany and surreal. What starts out as a really first class series later changes tack and becomes disappointing. It becomes zany for zaniness sake, which I suppose was a feature of many sixties programs. Sometimes when you have a great idea which is very good and you have reached the top, where do you go from there? Bear this in mind when you buy this DVD. Still worth getting though, but in my book gets only a three star rating instead of five.

The Men Who Stare at Goats
The Men Who Stare at Goats
by Jon Ronson

2.0 out of 5 stars Muddled and Confused, 15 Jan 2005
This book was a golden opportunity missed. There are bizarre things going on in the world that are rewriting the very nature of what our existence is, and its hard enough trying to fathom out how much credibility these things have if any without the writer becoming too caught up in trying to show off a dry sense of humour, so that you are never quite sure when he serious and when he is joking. This book could have been much more absorbing if a more objective approach had been applied in determining the validity behind some of the ideas. As a read as it gives a hint of the possible shape of things to come and the framework on which the book has been written is somewhat disquieting. Style of writing is good. The beginning of the book promises exciting and compelling content but ends up delivering mainly superficial content coupled with a touch of blandness as well. An ideal book for reading if you are looking for sources of material along with a few nuggets of interesting information

Danger Man: The Complete Series 1 [DVD]
Danger Man: The Complete Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Patrick McGoohan

5.0 out of 5 stars Truly amazing TV!!, 30 Oct 2004
With television of the 21st century rapidly giving way to "reality tv" (which is anything but real) coupled with umpteen repeats on cable and satellite, I decided instead to spend the subscription money on some good quality DVDs, and when I bought "Danger Man", I was not disappointed. Pre-dating James Bond by a couple of years Patrick McGoohan is definitely in a class of his own. With his reassuring manner and matter of fact approach to his job, it is easy to see how Danger Man was catapulted into what is known today as Cult TV. This 39 episode box set has strong story lines, a good plot with suspense guaranteed in every episode. I was too young to remember "Danger Man" when it was first shown on TV but I am delighted with what I have seen. It really is a must for anyone who is a James Bond fan. Dont be put off that the episodes are only 30 mins long and in black and white. In some ways its much better as a result, being more compact, fast moving and definitely no filler. This collection will certainly be an all time favourite in my rapidly expanding DVD collection. Roll on the next series please, I am waiting!!

Medion MD41059 Multi-region DVD Player
Medion MD41059 Multi-region DVD Player

5.0 out of 5 stars An excellent buy for a very reasonable price., 1 Oct 2004
When I bought this player I didnt expect too much, having read very mixed reviews of an either love or hate nature. But from my own experiences, I have to say it has performed way beyond expectations. The picture has been of excellent quality and the player has performed perfectly. I like the remote control which is small, stylish but comfortable and easy to use. The buttons on the player itself feel very solid and the player looks good too. Another feature which attracted me to this particular model was the multi-region feature for playing DVDS from all over the world (something I havent tested yet) It was also very easy to install simply plug in the scart socket, turn on and the DVD channel would be instantly established and ready for play. I have two TVs and I am tempted to buy another similar player for my other TV set. I dont know how long this player will last but I have to say that I could not ask anymore from this player even if it was a top of the range model and brand. For the money I really do think anyone buying this machine has very little to lose and stands to get many hours of quality viewing at a bargain price.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4