Profile for >KārK< > Reviews

Global Game Gear GGG0009 Controller Extension Cord, 10 Feet, for Nintendo Wii
Global Game Gear GGG0009 Controller Extension Cord, 10 Feet, for Nintendo Wii
Offered by SortedBits

1.0 out of 5 stars Didn't work, 11 Jan 2014
Very Shoddy. Worked for about 30 minutes, after a lot of fiddling, and then gave out completely. Fortunately, Amazon's service was impecable as usual and they refunded me immediately.

The Dragon Masters and Other Stories
The Dragon Masters and Other Stories

5.0 out of 5 stars Indispensable Magic, 16 Jan 2013
I can but echo D. Greer's opinion. This is a must-read for any Vance enthusiast, and also an ideal starting-point for anyone wondering what all the fuss is about. These three stories (The Miracle Workers, The Dragon Masters and The Last Castle) whisk you away into effortlessly created worlds where somehow the most extrafalarious scenarios are just another day for the equally extraordinary societies therein.

"The Miracle Workers" was for me the unexpected delight of the day, with its Hoodoo Jinxmen settlers and spumescent indigenous lifeforms. "The Dragon Masters" carries us to a land where local dragon-breeders would do well to put aside their quibbles in the face of a more ominous threat. Finally, "The Last Castle" starts a tad on the over-explicative side, but turns out to be a worthy comrade to the other stories herein. Yes, I'm being deliberately vague - I would hate to spoil this for anyone!

My sole complaint is that, although actually fairly long as far as short stories go, all good things must come to and end - and this is no exception.

Buy this immediately.

The Complete Lyonesse: Suldrun's Garden, The Green Pearl, Madouc (Gollancz Black Books)

5.0 out of 5 stars My Kindle's Raison d'źtre, 15 Jan 2013
Having been totally mind-boggled by the Dying Earth series, I yearned for more of Vance's inimitable fantasy work. Unfortunately, there is not much else to choose from, the vast majority of his work being Science Fiction - albeit in a fairly broad sense of the word - but I digress...

Before jumping into a hefty £25 and an even heftier 1000-page hardback, I read up on this, and was almost deterred by widespread reports of "Lyonesse" being awash with Arthurian Legend. I tend to shun historical fiction (no matter how loosely applicable the term) and look for that deeply escapist experience provided by, amongst others, The Dying Earth, but at last I could hold out no longer and took the plunge. Thanks be to Vance that I did.

So the book arrived, and I gasped at the size and weight of it. I read in bed, so for me this was not a good thing, but it is very well presented and does feel special. To cut my long story short, I decided to buy the Kindle version instead (and a Kindle to read it on!)

After a fairly brisk lead-in, the adventure launches into full swing and does not look back for an instant...

Jack Vance masterfully intertwines heroic adventure with capricious fairytale, wistful dreamscapes with cold-blooded power-struggles and cut-throat banditry with intensely intimate insights into the characters' minds and hearts. "Lyonesse" is at once dark, hilarious, poignant, frivolous, touching and summarily cruel. Everything I longed for is there - the colours, smells and flavours, the rogues and blackguards, the dreamlike escapades into impossible worlds. But perhaps more awe-inspiring still, "Lyonesse" is a work of literary malabarism, juggling so many characters, locations and storylines that it seems impossible when finally, after one thousand pages over three volumes, each and every juggling-ball falls deftly into place (including some that you never even knew were there!)

"Lyonesse" comes to a spectularly sculpted end in a manner rarely seen in Vance's work. This is not a slight on his other work, merely an observation. Arthurian and other historical references are very few and far between, and "Lyonesse" retains at all times the right to be classed (at least in my opinion) as a true paragon of High Fantasy.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 12, 2014 11:04 PM GMT

Rockport Men's Admiral Place Boat Shoe
Rockport Men's Admiral Place Boat Shoe
Offered by dress-for-less

5.0 out of 5 stars A good buy, 21 July 2011
After umm-ing and ahh-ing for a couple of weeks as to whether or not to buy these, Amazon went and dropped the price by 40 quid, so I was in. And a good thing too. These shoes are surprisingly lightweight and very comfortable. They are boaty enough to be not overly sporty, and sporty enough to be not overly boaty (if you catch my meaning) and can be worn with virtually anything from Dockers to G-Star. A quick change of laces (not included) would reduce their boatiness still further and turn them into a pair of "Fashion Sport" shoes.

Breathability was put to the test the day I got them, at a rock concert in sweltering Spanish heat, and the result was fairly favorable - with a noticeable airy feeling around the mesh areas - and a car wash the next day left them pretty much unscathed. Grip is good on wet and dry surfaces.

Durability has yet to be established, but I'll update the review if they don't live up to my (high) expectations of Rockport.

So far so good, and great value for money at the reduced price.

Sony TDM-IP10 Digital Media Port Dock - Digital player docking station
Sony TDM-IP10 Digital Media Port Dock - Digital player docking station

4.0 out of 5 stars Simple and effective, 11 July 2011
All I can do really is corroborate the other positive reviews here. It's elegant, discrete and does exactly what it says on the tin. You can charge up your iPod without having to switch on the receiver, and navigate through the menu with the receiver remote or the touch wheel.

My only minor gripes are the following:

- I'd like the song title to be displayed on the receiver
- I'd like the cable to be a bit longer for easier placement
- erm...

All in all, a quick and inexpensive way to get all your iPod choons going through your home speakers.

GoldenEye 007 (Wii)
GoldenEye 007 (Wii)
Offered by Game Trade Online

3.0 out of 5 stars It's the Daniel Craig of shooters, 5 May 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: GoldenEye 007 (Wii) (Video Game)
If, like me, you just cannot get to grips with the blond, pouting, just-not-sexy James Bond personified by Daniel Craig, then you may also notice a similar lack of convincingness after playing Goldeneye on the Wii.

Don't get me wrong, the game itself as a 1st Person Shooter is pretty worthy of a place in the collection, as long as you paid 17 quid for it instead of 50, but really is neither innovative in any way, nor more importantly BOND-Like.

Comparisons are odious, but what did Activision expect when they brought out a game based on a film that had already had a game based on it? That's right, it's NOT a remake of the N64 game by RARE, but rather another game based on the film. But either way it's impossible not to make comparisons between this game and both its predecessors:

Compared to the N64 game this is bland, lifeless and almost entirely brain-free. No "what the hell do I do know" here. If you need to use a gadget somewhere you are told this, and all you need to do is point and shoot, effectively eliminating any sense of adventure or brain-wracking.

If we compare it to the film it's based on, it is drab, gutless and almost entirely talent-free. I think Mr. Craig did the voiceover on his teabreak while filming something else. I wanted to shout "Put some life into it, man!" The supporting cast were obviously the tea lady, the biscuit man and the chap who pours the milk, and even they did a better job than he did.

But I digress. Goldeneye for Wii has plenty of hours of fairly solid gameplay, nice long levels and several additional challenges that will (well, might) have you playing it through again, especially if you paid full whack. To be very honest for 17 quid it's worth getting, but at the end of the day as far as Bond shooters go, this is blond, pouting and just not sexy.

HP Deskjet F4580 All-in-One Printer
HP Deskjet F4580 All-in-One Printer

1.0 out of 5 stars An oversized paperweight., 4 May 2011
Bought this as a cheap replacement for my old Epson. Cartridge prices also seemed reasonable compared to other competitors. WiFi setup was actually very easy if a little longwinded. However, after the first print job the thing gave up the ghost and can no longer be detected even via USB. After ENDLESS uninstalls/reinstalls/updates/downloads/aspirins I have finally given up hope on it. I VERY much doubt I will ever buy an HP product again.

Timmy and Friends Posable Figures
Timmy and Friends Posable Figures
Offered by Toys of England

5.0 out of 5 stars Very true to life... so to speak, 15 Nov 2010
I actually bought these for Timmy for my wife, who loves Shaun the Sheep, and gave the other two to my 2-year-old daughter who's too young to know what it's all about. They are now known as Doggy and Baa. The models are very true to the Timmy Time characters, having a nice smooth feel and appearance like on TV. They also feel nice and robust for kids (young and otherwise) to throw around and abuse. The only problem is that getting Timmy to stay on his feet is quite a chore, as he is very top heavy and only has little diddy hooves.

A good laugh, and well worth 4 quid!

Childrens Choice
Childrens Choice

3.0 out of 5 stars Something of a Let-Down, 3 Sep 2010
This review is from: Childrens Choice (Audio CD)
I, like so many potential buyers of this item, grew up with Wally Whyton's music so I positively leapt at the chance to get my hands on so many all-time children's faves all on one CD. I was especially surprised by the apparent value for money. However, I was somewhat disappointed to discover that the versions of the songs were extremely "mundane" and lacking the zest - the FUN - of the WW albums I used to have on vinyl. No hordes of kids chanting the backing vocals, very little in the way of artistic inspiration at all, and above all a veritable plethora of drably-sung nursery rhymes that left me feeling cheated of my right to nostalgia.

This set does serve as a great introduction to these songs, especially for children who may otherwise not get to hear them (kids who live outside of the UK or those of non-British origin). They are arranged in such a way that similarly-themed songs are all together on one track (skip one, and you'll miss the whole group!) and I'm grateful that it is available, but I just can't help feeling a bit like a child who's just been told that Father Christmas DOES exist, but that he's now retired.

Roxy Aka Ladies Analogue Stainless Steel Fashion Watch
Roxy Aka Ladies Analogue Stainless Steel Fashion Watch

5.0 out of 5 stars Looks better on., 7 Jun 2010
Yeah, sorry ladies, but I appear to have bought the last one for my missus. This is a great little watch for casual wear and even a bit of sport. So far seems very robust and reliable. It weighs just enough to feel good quality, but still feels light enough for everyday use. The best thing about it, though, is that it goes with virtually everything, thanks to those little coloured dots - you're almost guaranteed to find something to wear with it that will be complemented by one of your dots! May look a bit boring in the pic, but looks really great once you're wearing it.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3