Profile for Mr. Graham Cummings > Reviews

Content by Mr. Graham Cum...

Mr. Graham Cummings (Yorkshire, UK)
(VINE VOICE)    (REAL NAME)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18
Small Adventures in Cooking (New Voices in Food)
Small Adventures in Cooking (New Voices in Food)
by James Ramsden

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Cook book worthy of addition to my shelf, 23 Nov. 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I've cooked several of the meals in this book, and the recipes were accurate and very tasty. I look forward to his next book. There are also plenty of practical tips such as cleaning your workspace as you go along. Well recommended

Ultra-Fast ASP.NET: Building Ultra-Fast and Ultra-Scalable Web Sites Using ASP.NET and SQL Server (Expert's Voice in .NET)
by Richard Kiessig

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitive Guide to Optimisation! Awesome book!, 17 Aug. 2011
I've bought a few optimisation books now and read a multitude of optimisation articles on t'internet. I was almost expecting this to be a rehash of everything I've seen so far. While some of the information in this book can be found elsewhere, there's genuinely lots of fantastic optimisation info in this book that I've not seen elsewhere. The book covers optimising everything from Javascript through IIS to SQL server, and it has a proud place on my optimisation bookshelf.

It's not a beginner book, and is more aimed at seasoned developers, but if your website is running slow, or you take your optimising seriously, then you must buy this book. It's a properly hidden gem. I'd overlooked it a few times, but I used Amazon's 'Look Inside' option to view the contents, and that's when I decided to take a punt. I'm so glad I did, as it's an amazing book, and well worth the cash. Highly recommended.

Caravan Europe 2011: v. 2
Caravan Europe 2011: v. 2
by Caravan Club

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitive guide to caravanning around Europe, 15 Jun. 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
These are the best guides of this type I've seen. There's an incredible amount of information about many, many caravan and camping sites. Each site listing also contains details of all the amenities, although the abbreviations take a bit of getting used to if you aren't familiar with them. I guess that has been done mostly because the authors need to fit so much information into the book, and it's only a minor niggle. There's also excellent information about roads (the surfaces, conditions and how scenic the routes are), and the maps are clear and detailed.

I don't think it covers as many sites per country as volume 1 does, but all the same it still is an excellent guide.

All in all, an extremely good guide to take with you on your travels. This book covers Austira, Benelux, Central Europe, Germany, Greece, Italy, Scaninavia and Switzerland. Worth buying in conjunction with Volume 1 if you are serious caravanner.

Caravan Europe 2011: v. 1
Caravan Europe 2011: v. 1
by Caravan Club

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitive guide to caravanning around europe, 15 Jun. 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)

All in all, an extremely good guide to take with you on your travels. This book covers France, Spain and Portugal. Worth buying in conjunction with Volume 2 if you are serious caravanner.

Corel VideoStudio Pro X4 (PC)
Corel VideoStudio Pro X4 (PC)
Offered by Digitalville UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Very good video software for those on a budget but beware of crashes!, 24 May 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
This software isn't really a rival to software such as Adobe Premiere, but then it's probably a tenth of the price and is a good budget option.

Actually, for the price, you do get some surprising stuff, such as automatic advert removal (for those who want to process recorded TV), and there's other really useful functionality tech such as scene detection.

You can view your video project in a clip or storyboard view. The former allows you just to drop video clips into a sequence (if you don't need to edit anything) and the latter allows you to fully edit your tracks. You can overlay multiple video and audio tracks, and there's stacks of transitions and filters to alter your video as you see fit.

Generally, the user interface is very well laid out in a 3-step format, and it's easy to pick up. Also the colour scheme is very good, and easy on the eyes, which is useful because no doubt you'd be spending plenty of time staring at the screen as you edit your videos.

You can output to a variety of formats including DVD, DV, HD-DVD and BLURAY (which I guess are all variants of MPEG), and the software takes away all of the effort required to ensure your video streams are compliant with the chosen output.

I was also pleasantly suprised that it allows you to output your video in 3D, which seems superb (and it meant I could use the free 3D glasses that came with the software). I tested the 3D output against some professional footage I found on the internet to compare, and to be honest, I really couldn't make out the 3D on the video outputted from this software. So it seems a bit of a gimmick, but the free 3D glasses was nice, so I'm not too bothered about this. I'm not a massive fan of 3D anyway as it gives me headaches, so it wouldn't influence my choice, but for the people who it would, you may want to think twice if you're buying the software for this functionality. Saying that, it probably would be useful if you were using it with 3D-filmed footage, if you had a camera capable of doing it.

I tried a few different video formats too, and I found AVI to work fine, but the MP4 sources I used made the software crash furiously. Which was quite annoying. I didn't notice crashes elsewhere but I'd recommend saving your work regularly.

I think this software is good for beginners or those who want to train in non-linear video editing, who will later progress onto professional software such as Adobe Premiere.

If you simply just want to process your recorded telly, I would go with the free alternative AviDemux, and it allows you to easily copy streams if you didn't want to recompress, meaning you don't lose any further quality from your video.

Overall, I would say this software is perfect for beginners or people who don't need the professional tools found in more expensive software. A decent performer.

Curry Easy
Curry Easy
by Madhur Jaffrey

5.0 out of 5 stars Totally superb book for curries! You don't need to buy another curry cookbook, 11 May 2011
This review is from: Curry Easy (Hardcover)
I absolutely love this recipe book. I've made a number of the meals in this book including the Kerala-Style Chicken, Bangladeshi White Chicken Korma, South Indian Potato curry, Gujarati Tomato Sweet and Sour curry to name a few. It's the cookbook I use the most in my kitchen (Bill Grainger's Bill's Basics is the second), and if you are intimidated by the idea of making a curry, don't be, it doesn't get any easier than this to make an authentic and healthy curry. The recipes are really easy to follow, but they can go wrong if you don't do enough preparation, as some of the recipes have lots of ingredients. I tend to make enough for four people (as most of the recipes are for this amount of people) then freeze three portions and eat one straight away.

There's some top-notch advice too, on simple things like preparing and cooking rice. I follow Madhur's advice on preparing Basmati rice, and it comes out beautifully every time. The rice just crumbles in your mouth.

What I love so much about this book is that you can make genuinely authentic food, and you feel like a cooking genius when it all goes right and you have an awesome curry to reward your effort. My cupboards are absolutely chock full of spices now due to this book, and it's really fired my enthusiasm for cooking.

Don't bother buying any other curry cookbook, you only need this one. Go on, you won't regret it! Highly, highly recommended.

Fellowes Fabrik Mouse Pad / Wrist Support Sapphire
Fellowes Fabrik Mouse Pad / Wrist Support Sapphire

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent quality and really comfortable to use on a daily basis, 5 May 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I really like this mouse mat. It's really comfortable to use with ergonomic wrist support, and my wrist aches much less now when using the mouse. Until I got this mat, I didn't realise how much stress using the mouse applies to your wrist. I'm also safe in the knowledge that no little beasties will lurk on the surface of the mat after long-term use, because of the micro-ban technology that prevents the build up of germs. I've seen normal fabric mouse mats like this look amazingly grotty after relatively normal use (my mouse mat at work being a good example). There's also a high-quality non-slip surface underneath to ensure that the mat doesn't slip around your desk when you are using it.

Well designed, and high quality material too. Highly recommended if you need a new mat.

ESET NOD32 Antivirus (2009)/PC/1 user/1 year/Boxed product
ESET NOD32 Antivirus (2009)/PC/1 user/1 year/Boxed product

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent antivirus solution - fast and effective, 27 April 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I know that the product's title contains 'Anti-Virus', but it's just important to point out that this product is not an entire security suite and only provides antivirus protection in addition to another package that covers other internet security needs (e.g. firewall).

The software is an excellent choice and deserves to be award-winning. It's fast when scanning for viruses and has saved my PC's skin on a couple of occasions already.

Highly recommended.

Modern Cookery for Private Families (Classic Voices in Food)
Modern Cookery for Private Families (Classic Voices in Food)
by Eliza Acton

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent cookbook (but not in simple recipe format), 27 April 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
It's important to note that this cookbook is not in a simple format, so you are going to have to read the instructions for each recipe much more closely than you would do with a modern cookbook. You are also going to have to use the conversion charts quite a lot too, because modern measurements aren't used in the recipes (well I guess it is a collection of re-prints after all).

A lot of the recipes are strikingly modern though. If it weren't for the writing style and language used, you'd struggle to know that these had been written many years ago. I've cooked a few of the meals suggested in the book, and with a little bit of effort on my part, they tasted really nice, so this is a cookbook I can heartily recommend.

AVG Internet Security 2011, 4 Users, 1 Year Subscription (PC)
AVG Internet Security 2011, 4 Users, 1 Year Subscription (PC)

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent protection and great value!, 27 April 2011
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
I have been an AVG user for many years, however, for a change I decided to give a rival (to AVG) Internet Security package a go. While for an initial period this rival package seemed to deliver the goods, it did so at a cost. It really slowed my machine down, to the point I had to close it down when running some software.

Anyway, I've moved back to AVG, and I really love this new version of their Internet Security package. It's a piece of cake to install, and is basically transparent. I don't notice it running at all even when running CPU intensive applications. Just ensure you activate your copy by going online, otherwise your licence will time out after thirty days. I love the attention to detail AVG have applied. I was impressed that shortly after install, AVG asks you if you want to run a scan to make sure that your system hasn't been compromised whilst AVG was being installed.

For people who don't want to get involved in the nitty-gritty detail of configuring security, AVG provides a simple route through setting up your security, where you don't have to do anything bar answer a few simple questions.

For geeks like me, I can configure security to the nth degree and match my exact requirements (e.g. setting the firewall to allow connection to my machine from an external point via Remote Desktop).

Highly recommended and great value because you can protect 4 PCs for a year.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18