Profile for johnc > Reviews

Content by johnc

johnc

More Time for Politics: Diaries 2001-2007
More Time for Politics: Diaries 2001-2007

5.0 out of 5 stars Another fine book. Despite not always agreeing with his views ..., 11 Mar. 2015
Another fine book.Despite not always agreeing with his views I regard Mr Benn as a sincere and committed politician.Twenty years ago my daughter was working on her GCSEs and had to give a reasoned view of Harold Wilson's surprise resignation.I told her to write to Tony Benn and within days she had a detailed personal reply from the great man.My big regret is never writing to thank him.

Family Britain, 1951-1957 (Tales of a New Jerusalem Book 2)
Family Britain, 1951-1957 (Tales of a New Jerusalem Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars Great looking back, 30 Dec. 2013
Having been born in 1951 it was fascinating to read about prevailing political and social situations in those early years.Easy to see why we were not an obese society in those days of rationing and frugality!

Survivor on the River Kwai: The Incredible Story of Life on the Burma Railway
Survivor on the River Kwai: The Incredible Story of Life on the Burma Railway
by Reg Twigg

5.0 out of 5 stars A remarkable man, 17 July 2013
Reg was my wife's uncle and I had the pleasure of knowing him for the past 40 odd years.He was a remarkable man who had no real interest in material possesions and always seemed at ease with himself.He loved the countryside,biking and camping.He was great with children,a sort of pied piper character.I can recall him playing football with my grandkids when he was well into his eighties.
After he retired he used to do gardening jobs,mainly for pensioners, and would often tell us about 'the old dears' that he did work for,most of them were much younger than him but he was still a kid at heart.
He died in May,a couple of weeks before this book was published.At his funeral it was evident how many peoples lives he had touched.This book is a remarkable story of a simple,generous and amazing man.