Profile for JohnnyR > Reviews

The War File: The Story Of The Spitfire [DVD]
The War File: The Story Of The Spitfire [DVD]
Offered by bobs-dvds

4.0 out of 5 stars Very watchable, 26 July 2015
I thoroughly enjoyed watching this video and learnt a lot about the Spitfire, though admittedly I didn't know a lot to start with! Good narration and informative. The only criticism is as noted by another reviewer that there are too many shots of air show rolls and passes. but this won't stop me from watching it again on another wet Summer's Sunday afternoon like today.
Recently learnt that it was the Hurricane which was the workhorse but doesn't seem to get enough credit, as the Spitfire seems to have stolen the show. Admittedly, they are different generation planes which is probably one of the reasons the Spitfire is viewed as more 'sexy' if it's not too perverse to label a war machine as such.

World War II: The Battle Of Britain [DVD]
World War II: The Battle Of Britain [DVD]
Dvd ~ World War 2
Offered by best_value_entertainment

1.0 out of 5 stars Shallow American documentary, 26 July 2015
I have had this DVD for sometime but have only just got round to viewing it - wish I hadn't bothered. It is an American documentary I assume for the Americans. Don't know when it was made but the (American) voice over is very poor quality and sounds really old. It says on the cover its an Award Winning Documentary, but doesn't specify which award. Possibly the worst ever war documentary award! Its going straight in the bin, I won't even insult the charity shops by donating it. Yesterday I watched The Story of the Spitfire DVD (see my other review) which is in a completely different class and I can highly recommend it.

Rentokil PSBN804 Rat Killer 1kg
Rentokil PSBN804 Rat Killer 1kg
Offered by LightingandMobileAccessoriesUK

1.0 out of 5 stars Doesn't work!, 14 July 2015
The rat in the garden (I assume only one) keeps coming back for more, seems to love it! Perhaps I've got one of them super rats that I've heard about?

A Sting in the Tale
A Sting in the Tale
by Dave Goulson

5.0 out of 5 stars Our little stripey friends and tomato soup, 11 April 2015
This review is from: A Sting in the Tale (Paperback)
Having caught the back-end of an interview with the author on Radio 4, was sufficient to pique my interest enough to seek out his book. I am not an aficionado of insects per se, but do appreciate their role in the 'order of things' and especially bees and the great debt we owe them. Like most people, I have over the last couple of years been woken up to the disappearing bee and the consequences through the media, where it has been generally portrayed as a mystery. However, after reading this book it seems there is little mystery at all but simply the consequence of modern farming methods and the dwindling of their natural habitat. The bee has been around a lot longer than us (around 30M yrs vs. 200K yrs) but it is likely it won't be around for much longer unless the policy makers wake-up to the dire consequences of a bee-less World.

A 'chatty' and engaging style of writing which is very easy to read yet at the same time imparting a massive amount of information. So much so, that this year I will be dedicating some of my garden to bee friendly flowers and herbs. Last year I got a bumper crop of tomatoes, thanks to the little stripey fellas so the least I can do is give a little back, albeit in a very small way. Thanks to this book I shall never look at a bee, or tomato for that matter, in the same way ever again.

From Ration Book to ebook: The Life and Times of the Post-War Baby Boomers
From Ration Book to ebook: The Life and Times of the Post-War Baby Boomers

4.0 out of 5 stars Let's twist again..., 23 Mar. 2015
Being one of the post war baby boomers referred to in this book was my reason for reading it. I was perhaps hoping for too much from it, in terms of insights of why things were the way they were, but it is sadly lacking in any substance. It is little more than a catalogue of material possessions, trends and fashions for each of the subsequent decades since the end of the war. I am not sure of the target audience for this history, since I can remember most of what it covers, although it did correct some of my time-frames. I would suggest it would be of value if you are interested in what everyday life was like for your parents or grandparents if they are of the post-war baby boomer generation.

So why have I given it a four star rating? When reviewing a book, I believe you should always judge it by what the author was trying to achieve rather than what you are looking from it. In this case the author has created a reasonable trip down memory lane for those whose memory needs jogging, but an in-depth social history it is not. Sadly lacking are illustrations of the products and fashions mentioned in the text for those not familiar with the same. There are however around thirty plates at the end covering street and work scenes over the decades covered. The author has seemingly wrung good milage from the subject matter as he has written around seven books which all appear to cover the same ground judging from their titles, although I must admit this is the first of his books that I have read but it has not engendered me to go on and read any of his other titles.

Agent Zigzag: The True Wartime Story of Eddie Chapman: Lover, Traitor, Hero, Spy (reissued)

4.0 out of 5 stars If this was a work of fiction it would be implausible., 22 Mar. 2015
Fascinating insight into the world of a WWII spy Eddie Chapman, a double agent and the only British spy to be awarded an Iron Cross! If it was a novel it would be considered implausible. Chapman's story could not be told for many years because it was subject to the secrecy act. A well researched and written account. I read this as a Kindle edition and unlike some of the previous reviewers I found no or very few typographical errors so would assume these must have been corrected and reissued.

More Ketchup than Salsa
More Ketchup than Salsa

5.0 out of 5 stars Stop yer blinkin mithering..., 21 Feb. 2015
Back in the nineties I took 'er in-doors' to Tenerife just to stop 'er mithering about not taking 'er nowhere. Tenerife seemed like a safe bet based on what was said by my work-mates who had ventured there. 'Loads of cheap beer, guaranteed sun, bingo for the missus and none of that foreign muck' that is passed off as food. Well they were right to a point but did omit to mention a couple of things like cockroaches than could have passed as extras in Jurassic Park, and more timeshare salesmen than flies around &*%£ and just as smelly with all that cheap aftershave.

Sad to say that this book brought back all the memories of a holiday that I would rather forget. The tacky bars, the jumping over pools of regurgitated oily fish 'n chips and carrots, the crappy Elvis impersonators and pissed-up husbands who seemed to think that anybody was their best mate if they lived within a 50 mile radius of their home in Blighty or support the same footy team. "Bugger me, fancy that, you live in Bolton as well - what an amazing coincidence - is it still raining over there?" I don't remembering seeing the Smuggler's Tavern while there, but that was probably because of the beer glasses and the 5 deep timeshare salesmen blocking the view everywhere you went.

I must applaud Joe Cawley for managing to wring every last bit of comedy out of such dire material. Its not a short book and I finished reading it in just two sessions which is testament to the authors ability to engage the reader despite it not being exactly riveting subject matter.

Oh, and 'er indoors' is still mithering about not taking her anywhere - there is no pleasing some!

Kindle Unlimited : Don't Pay For It Until You Read This!
Kindle Unlimited : Don't Pay For It Until You Read This!

2.0 out of 5 stars What just happened?, 15 Feb. 2015
This is a difficult read as I suspect that English is not the author's first language. There's a lot of repetition and on completion I wasn't too sure of what I actually learnt from it except that it is clearly a badly construed sales pitch for the Kindle Unlimited program. As I am not subscribed to this service, I am not qualified to comment as to its value. I may be misinformed but I understand the vast majority of books within this program are fiction and erotica, which is one of the reasons I feel disinclined to sign up.

I read this booklet while it was free on promo but would have felt cheated if I had paid for it. But of course you could always read it for free on Kindle Unlimited!

How to Use LinkedIn to Sell More Books (Writer's Platform Book 2)
How to Use LinkedIn to Sell More Books (Writer's Platform Book 2)

4.0 out of 5 stars In my humble opinion..., 8 Feb. 2015
My reason for reading this booklet I must admit was out of curiosity rather than need, since I have no books I need to promote. My view on the usefulness of LinkedIn has always been uncertain, swinging from 'what's the point' to 'great professional networking tool'. My own interest being from that of a SEO perspective since LinkedIn seems to get a lot of love from Google search. That's the nub really, I've never thought of it as a platform for authors to promote themselves and their products, but this booklet clearly shows how this is possible.

There are no magic bullets it maintains as its all about the long haul, that is building up a network of relevant contacts and establishing yourself as an authority in your niche or genre so that people follow you and actually read your posts, particularly where Groups are concerned. As well as extending your network there is some good advice on building your profile to establish your credentials and promoting your books. As this is the first book I have read on the subject I do not have a yardstick with which to judge its merits knowledgeably, but what I would say as an interested layman is that after reading it I now have a fair idea of how to utilise LinkedIn to promote any books should the need arise.

How To Use LinkedIn For Business - A Practical guide for marketers, business owners and entrepreneurs - Special Edition

4.0 out of 5 stars A good & concise guide to LinkedIn for a business., 8 Feb. 2015
If you have never used LinkedIn before for your company this is good guide to get you up and running. Another reviewer has only given this a one star rating which is not a true reflection of its worth I feel, and probably more based on their stated feeling of the worth of LinkedIn rather than what the author has set out to achieve in this book. How you rate LinkedIn is down entirely to what you are trying to get from it and how active you are. From my own viewpoint as a web developer the SEO aspect is paramount since whether you like the fact or not LinkedIn is viewed as an authority by Google and as such must be a component of any successful SEO campaign.

I've always based my reviews on what the stated aim of the book is and what it claims to achieve rather than what I think it should and for this reason I rate this book as four stars with one codicil which is: this is the first on the subject I have read so have nothing to measure it against. It is well written aside from a couple of typos and not excessive use of waffle.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5