Profile for John HOLLAS > Reviews

The Inbetweeners - Series 1-3 - Complete [DVD]
The Inbetweeners - Series 1-3 - Complete [DVD]
Dvd ~ Simon Bird
Price: 10.00

3.0 out of 5 stars A guilty pleasure. But I am appalled that standards ..., 10 Sep 2014
A guilty pleasure. But I am appalled that standards have fallen so low that this series, with so much crude language, was ever produced.

The West Wing: Complete Season 5 [2001] [DVD]
The West Wing: Complete Season 5 [2001] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Martin Sheen
Price: 9.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good quality used DVDs, 13 Mar 2014
These "used" DVDs are in very good condition. As with previous seasons of The West Wing I have enjoyed the fifth just as much as previous seasons. Superb acting, excellent story lines. My only problem is understanding the american language, particularly references to sport and, of course, to many aspects of politics. I use subtitles all the time but even they don't help very much. I just let a lot of the language flow over me and try to gest the gist of what is going on.

Weather Live Free - Detailed Forecasts and Live Weather Conditions (Local and Worldwide)
Price: 0.00

1.0 out of 5 stars BBC weather is much better, 12 Mar 2014
I quickly deleted this app after I got it. I only had to see that the temperature is in Fahrenheit to be not interested. I deleted it so quickly that I may not have investigated it too deeply. I went straight to the BBC app.

ME22 Mono earphone
ME22 Mono earphone
Offered by Direct Discount
Price: 5.95

1.0 out of 5 stars Not the type I was wanting, 12 Mar 2014
This review is from: ME22 Mono earphone (Electronics)
I use a mono earphone with my radio in bed at night. Previously, I had, I think, Mercury earphones which clip onto the ear with the speaker in the correct position. This earphone does not clip onto the ear and I found it difficult, if not impossible, to get the speaker in the right position. Maybe this earphone is meant for another purpose but it doesn't suit me at all.

Mozart: Great Mass in C minor
Mozart: Great Mass in C minor
Price: 8.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Music that is not as well known as it should be., 12 Mar 2014
Mozart's Requiem is a great favorite, but not with me. The C minor Mass, a much more cheerful piece, is one of my great favorites. This version is very good indeed. Soloists, choir, orchestra, conductor could not be better. If you don't know this music, buy it!

Handel: Coronation Anthems
Handel: Coronation Anthems
Price: 4.99

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the best versions, 12 Mar 2014
I purchased another version, not on period instruments, and regretted it. This version is far superior, excellent singing and orchestral playing.

Fawlty Towers - Season 2
Fawlty Towers - Season 2
Dvd
Offered by Lovefilm UK Limited
Price: 3.99

5.0 out of 5 stars A classic episode, 12 Mar 2014
What more can be said about Fawlty Towers? Brilliant. They don't make them like that any more. I shall buy another episode.

The West Wing - Complete Season 4 [DVD]
The West Wing - Complete Season 4 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Martin Sheen
Price: 11.47

5.0 out of 5 stars Well up to the usual standard, 22 Jan 2014
I thought by the time it got to the fourth season I would tire of The West Wing. But the acting is so good and storylines so believable and relevant to today's White House politics. The only, and very real, problem I have is with the language (not bad language, thank goodness, which a British production would feel a necessity). The language has so many political references, acronyms, references to American sport, references to defence that I have to use subtitles to help me along. But, even then, I just have to let a lot of it just wash over me.

Downton Abbey: The London Season (Christmas Special 2013) [DVD]
Downton Abbey: The London Season (Christmas Special 2013) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Hugh Bonneville
Price: 5.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Up to the usual high standard, 22 Jan 2014
I enjoyed this Christmas Special, as I always enjoy Downton. The only complaint I have concerns the character of the footman (Mr Barrow?). He really doesn't ring true at all. There seems to be no reason for the rather evil nature of his character. In real life, he would have been sacked a long time ago.

Berlioz: Grande Messe des morts
Berlioz: Grande Messe des morts
Price: 6.49

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good replacement for the old Davis/Dowd recording, 22 Jan 2014
I purchased the old Colin Davis/ Ronald Dowd recording, which held sway for a quite a long time when there only very few recordings available. This is not an easy piece to record: the old recording was not of the best quality. Apparently, this new recording was made in St Paul's cathedral, not an easy venue, but the engineers have really pulled it off. As another reviewer says, the recording is better than many of those LSO Live recordings made in the Barbican. The Sanctus is really written too high for the tenor (who am I to criticise Berlioz?) making it very difficult to avoid strain in the voice. Barry Banks makes a very good attempt, rather better than Ronald Dowd was able to.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-20