Profile for Mr. Jody Shelley > Reviews

Content by Mr. Jody Shelley

Mr. Jody Shelley "J Shelley" (England)

Page: 1 | 2
Fisual 0.75m Pro Install Series Digital Coaxial Cable
Fisual 0.75m Pro Install Series Digital Coaxial Cable
Offered by AudioVisual Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Great value cable., 27 Jun. 2013
I don't need to write too much regarding this product.

It does it's job extremely well. I wanted a small cable to go from my soundbar which sits in front of my TV, to the back of my Blu-Ray player without any excess trailing, and it does so perfectly.

The sound clarity is excellent and I've noticed no degredation whatsoever. I have my Sky+HD box hooked up with a TOSLINK cable and every now and again, there will be a minute blip in sound (nothing major - but in comparison with the coaxial cable, it's not as perfect).

Overall - great product and great value.

You DON'T need to spend excessive amounts on 'big name brand' cables. So DON'T!

Joker Face T-Shirt
Joker Face T-Shirt
Offered by SOCKE Limited

1.0 out of 5 stars Shapeless and poor quality., 26 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Joker Face T-Shirt (Apparel)
Poor quality t-shirt and ill-fitting.

I wouldn't recommend this to anyone. Also, the design on the front is far too big.

Yamaha YAS101bl SoundBar System with Built-In Subwoofer - Black (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by Direct savings

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Soundbar!, 26 Jun. 2013
What more could I install for a title than exactly what the product is? It is a brilliant piece of kit at a very good price (I purchased it for £168.00).

It looks superb, sitting in front of my 40 inch LED TV and blends in beautifully. It was very easy to setup and currently, I have it plugged into my SKY+HD box via the included optical cable, and attached to my Blu-Ray player via a purchased Coaxial cable (offers the same quality as the optical - I can't tell the difference).

The sound is awesome - it really is. I bought it as a simple step up from the lacking speakers in my TV. I didn't want or yearn for anything Earth-shattering, but something that would allow me to watch my movies without constantly having to flick the volume up to hear what the characters were saying, and then turning it down when there was a on screen explosion or gun fight...my TV speakers were 'ok', but that was it.

...What I got, was something (that to me anyway) was quite simply, amazing. The sound is crystal clear!

I couldn't wait to test out one of my blu-rays, so I banged Transformers into the tray and fired it up...WOW! Just, WOW! The sound was brilliant. The first scene where the air force base gets attacked by the Transformer/Helicopter is phenomenal, and it just snowballs from there. I also watched The Dark Knight Rises, and again, I was blown away by the sheer clarity and atmosphere created by the soundbar. The bass that thumps out of it, is also very, very impressive. I read through a few reviews that mentioned the possible need for an external sub-woofer attaching to the soundbar, but (1) I definitely don't need one as the inbuilt sub-woofer on the device is way more than ample and (2) If my neighbours aren't annoyed already...then they would be with an external sub powering it's way through the walls.

The virtual surround sound that I read about was something that I was a little dubious of at first, but on reflection, it does indeed work. I find myself watching TV and then all of a sudden, I'll be like "what was that?"...and looking around the room attempting to discern where the sound was coming from. Only to find it was indeed the soundbar, using the virtual surround sound (Air Extreme) perfectly.

Overall, I can't recommend this enough. I've demo'd this to a couple of friends, and already they are sold and thinking strongly about getting one.

I can't compare it to a full surround system, but as a soundbar, it works absolutely perfectly, and looks great to boot. A solid piece of kit that will leave you very impressed if you're wanting a good step up from the poor sounding speakers in your flatscreen TV.

Oh - the little remote that comes with it is also a nice, solid little device with all the buttons it needs, and just the right size.

I can't say this is perfect, because I don't know what perfect is (but it can't be far away...), so I'll give this 4.5/5

Reservoir Dogs (2 Disc Special Edition) [1993] [DVD]
Reservoir Dogs (2 Disc Special Edition) [1993] [DVD]
Dvd ~ Harvey Keitel
Offered by Todays Great Deal

5.0 out of 5 stars Rich, witty, eclectic. Classic!, 27 July 2011
This was actually Quentin Tarantin's third movie. He'd already written the scripts for Natural Born Killers and True Romance, however, due to not getting the funding to go ahead and shoot the movies, he chose to go 'Guerilla' and shoot Reservoir Dogs. It proved to be instrumental in his breakthrough.

He was offered the chance afterwards to shoot the two movies he'd previously written, but declined and allowed them to move into the hands of Oliver Stone and Tony Scott respectively. The rest is history.

Reservoir Dogs is the story of a jewel heist gone terribly wrong. The beauty of the film is in its excellent camera shots, and it's rich, eclectic dialogue, which Tarantino has now become famous for.

Even though we don't get to see too much of the actual location that the film is shot in (it's mainly all shot in a warehouse), I get a weird, 'homely' feel, similar to what I get when I watch Pulp Fiction, that simply draws me in and allows me to really picture the location and get a good feel for it.

The cast is diverse and quite simply, brilliant. From Harvey Keitel to Tim Roth to Quentin himself, it's a brilliant film that defined a genre. The dialoge is fast paced, witty and chilling, and the film overall is a real pleasure to watch. Do be warned however, it's very graphic in places and is not for the weak stomached.

Afterwards, everytime you hear 'Stuck in the Middle with you'...you'll always remember the scene from the film, which I won't mention hear so as not to spoil it.

Enjoy!

Bicycle WSOP Plastic Coated Playing Cards - 1 Red Deck Poker Size Regular Index
Bicycle WSOP Plastic Coated Playing Cards - 1 Red Deck Poker Size Regular Index
Offered by Now That's a Deal!

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic playing cards., 27 July 2011
I bought these solely because I love playing poker, and I wanted some cards with the WSOP logo on them. However, I wanted to be sure that for the price, they were of good quality. Bicycle tend to make good, durable, lasting cards, so I plumped for them and I am not disappointed.

They look and feel great and are very easy to clean.

I played poker with my friends last week and they took a little bit of a battering during the night. (Greasy fingers, bending etc) and they still look good and retained their shape.

I would think they'd be pretty good for doing magic tricks also, as they slide around the deck very easily.

Overall - great card. A lot better than the cheap decks you can pick up from the local newsagents.

Hobo with a Shotgun [DVD]
Hobo with a Shotgun [DVD]
Dvd ~ Rutger Hauer
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best film, but definitely not the worst., 27 July 2011
This review is from: Hobo with a Shotgun [DVD] (DVD)
It's probably Rutger Hauer at his finest, that can be said safely as he turns in a stellar performance in this gore-fest of an exploitation film.

If you liked Planet Terror, then I'm sure you'll like this. It's cheesey, it's gore-littered and it's quirky. There is a real mixed bag of actors/actresses and the acting ranges from poor to genuinely good, with Hauer really grabbing the film with both hands and saving it from an all out bloodbath. The dialogue is at times good, and othertimes, sketchy but when it's good, it's damn good.

The cinematography is great. The opening scenes show Hauer riding into town on a train, soaking up the scenery and the sunshine, only for it to be wiped away in a flash as he hops off into 'Scum-town' and sees first hand the corruption, prostitution and drug dealing that is running amok.

You'll need a strong stomach, as some of the scenes are downright brutal.

Overall, the film is a decent watch. It's a good B-Movie and Hauer is great as the Hobo.

3 Stars.

Pulp Fiction [DVD]
Pulp Fiction [DVD]
Dvd ~ Quentin Tarantino
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars One of the finest..., 28 Nov. 2010
This review is from: Pulp Fiction [DVD] (DVD)
One of the best films ever made.

Fact? Maybe, in my opinion, and...about a million others; maybe more.

If you've never heard of Quentin Tarantino, then you're probably about 13 years old, and more than likely, stumbled upon this via 'a genuine accident'. OK.

This film is seriously, one of THE best films ever made. It's so absorbing, it's unreal. It's unforgettable.

I'm not one for giving the tale away. I'm one for letting people decide on themselves and get stuck in. If I had my way, I'd make sure DVD's had no cover, and no synopsis so people could appreciate a lot more films, purely on the word of mouth and recommendation of others.

THIS however, should need no recommendation. Up there with the elite. Pure brilliance.

5 stars.

The Hive [ 2008 ]
The Hive [ 2008 ]
Dvd ~ Kal Weber

1.0 out of 5 stars Not good at all., 11 Nov. 2010
This review is from: The Hive [ 2008 ]
I'm a big fan of horror films, and I'm willing to try anything and everything. I like to think I'm quite the horror enthusiast and will bend slightly to give something a chance.

This, however, is quite frankly, woeful.

It's cheap, it's tacky, the dialogue is something a five year old could muster up.

I'm not too fond of bringing down others work, but this really is poor. Maybe, maybe worth watching if you can get it for free somewhere, but seriously, don't buy this.

1 star is generous.

The Human Centipede [First Sequence] (Directors Cut) [DVD]
The Human Centipede [First Sequence] (Directors Cut) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Dieter Laser
Offered by bestmediagroup

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent horror flick., 19 Oct. 2010
I've been looking forward to seeing this film for quite some time now, and finally managed to get around to viewing it just yesterday.

It starts off a little cheesey, with some cliche moments (Car breaking down in the middle of nowhere; stupid decision making etc etc.) but gradually grows as the film plays on. Some of the acting is at times, sub par, but you can live with that as the guy who plays the evil surgeon puts in a great performance for me and really saves the film.

The film itself generates some really, really creepy moments. Silence is sometimes the only thing heard for quite some extended time, and it really does suck you in and get your heart racing. Some of the stuff in the film however is a bit silly and over the top.

I got a bit lost near the end, as quite a lot of the dialogue is in German and there are no subtitles, which I'm probably leading myself to believing is down to trying to create some desired atmospheric effect as you pretty much know what the people are saying, without having to understand them (if you get my meaning...)

Overall, it's a good horror flick. Not too scary, but with some gory moments and some unsettling scenes. Also has it's obligatory horror cliches and some silly moments.

Three stars from me - 'Watchable'.

The Ordeal (Calvaire) [DVD]
The Ordeal (Calvaire) [DVD]
Dvd ~ Laurent Lucas

4.0 out of 5 stars Highly creepy, yet, beautifully crafted., 19 Oct. 2010
This review is from: The Ordeal (Calvaire) [DVD] (DVD)
I've been getting into my foreign horror more and more of late, and got this through just a few days ago. After reading a few of the reviews, I got a general idea of what to expect, but nothing could have lead me to feel just what I felt after watching the film.

The setting is the misty, cold, damp, wintery forest of the Ardennes. This sets the tone straight away and immediately starts to send chills down your spine. I'll admit, it's not the scariest film I've seen, but it leaves a dark stain on your memory and for a few hours after watching, normality seems to have bent, just a little bit.

It's a psychological horror, and it does everything you'd want a psych-horror to do. Give you some uneasy, squirming moments and leave you thinking about it long after.

The only downside about this DVD, was that there seemed to be a little bit of a lag between the actors talking and their actual mouths moving, but you tend to forget about this as you get immersed in the film, so it's not too bad at all.

I enjoyed it, and am happy that I can say I've added it to my horror library.

If you're into psychological horror and/or foreign cinema, then you will like this.

Watch out for the dance scene - genuinely creepy and downright harrowing.

Four stars.