Profile for I. A. Robertson > Reviews

Autobiography
Autobiography
by Morrissey

3.0 out of 5 stars Page turner yes, are we much the wiser, no, 8 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Autobiography (Paperback)
It started well enough, I really enjoyed his formative years which gives further context, if it were needed, to the early Smiths songs.

So much seems to have been left out though, for instance, I'd like to have known what inspired him to become a vegetarian, as he certainly influenced me - I still am.

I found the courtroom repetition and obsession over chart position uninteresting. I laughed at how he used so many of his own lyrics (we've all done that right?), but couldn't help wonder where he was going with the spewing list of Morrissey gigs that made up the final pages, other than to awkwardly assert that he's doing all right without the need for the Smiths to reform thank you very much (makes me wonder if that will last now Johnny's solo career has kicked off in earnest).

This is far from a bad book. There are interesting parts that any fan of the Smiths or Morrissey will enjoy, like the strange ghost experiences and the likes of Sandie Shaw climbing through his kitchen window or the welcome he received at the family home of James Dean for the Suedehead video, only to be chased off once they realised he was the writer of the James Dean is Not Dead book - that family had vision; he should have learnt his lesson.

Page turner yes, are we much the wiser, no.

False Idols (Amazon Signed)
False Idols (Amazon Signed)

5.0 out of 5 stars New Maxinequaye? No, but maybe Nearly God, 5 Jun. 2013
I've followed Tricky from Maxinequaye through to his latest. There's been highs and lows throughout his career. Of late, he's been back on form and this is a further step forward following the really rather good Knowle West Boy.

There's a familiar feel to the sounds on this, particularly the percussive beats of Valentine, with echoes of Poems from Nearly God.

Tricky has borrowed and covered songs many times, this is no exception with excerpts of Patti Smith's version of Gloria on the opener Somebody's Sins. He even pics out lyrics from his own back catalogue.

If you've liked Tricky in the past, buy this, you won't regret it. I'd also recommend seeing him live, but that's another review.

You've Gone Too Far This Time, Sir!
You've Gone Too Far This Time, Sir!

5.0 out of 5 stars Who couldn't relate to this?, 4 July 2011
I took a punt on this as a Kindle recommendation and had no prior knowledge of him or his adventure. Danny is an endearing character and demonstrates great courage on this trip of a lifetime. I was gripped from start to finish; it made me feel very fortunate to live in our comfortable western world, as he travelled through some of the toughest physically and emotionally challenging landscapes and cultures anyone could imagine. I highly recommend this to anyone who's ever cycled to the shops and wondered about venturing further.

Monsters [DVD] [2010]
Monsters [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Whitney Able
Offered by DVD Overstocks

5.0 out of 5 stars People, Not Monsters, 8 May 2011
This review is from: Monsters [DVD] [2010] (DVD)
This is more a road movie than sci-fi genre film. It shows the development of characters with a backdrop alien story of a classic human show of force instead of understanding. I think the simplistic title is the root of reviewer's disappointment; so if you're looking for an "Aliens" type film, don't watch this, but if you're looking for developing characters and an incredibly impressive approach to film making, you will be blown away.

As a rule, I don't watch DVD extras but simply had to given what I saw versus what I had been told about the film, I had to find out how they made it so well with no elaborate sets, green screen or Hollywood budget. The DVD extras demonstrate just what a game changer this film may prove to be in the long run; an utter triumph that should inspire young film makers.

Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II Lens
Canon EF 50 mm f/1.8 II Lens

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it, you won't regret it., 25 Oct. 2010
Lenses are notoriously expensive and most of us can only window shop for really decent ones. This lens is a real gift to any Canon user; I wouldn't be without it in my bag. It is excellent for portraits, but I often take it out for a day to push myself a little by the discipline of a prime; finding the right view point is crucial.

The build is what you pay for, but the up side is it is very light and it hasn't let me down yet after a lot of use. The lenses and wide aperture is truly excellent. Buy it, you won't regret it.

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars For all occasional or avid readers alike - welcome to a new era in reading, 23 Sept. 2010
Reading a book on an electronic device seemed like a non-starter to me, but when you see the Kindle, you'll see why this isn't a problem - it is equal to the page of any paperback. Because there is no backlight, reading is relaxing.

I was also worried about the flickery transition I'd seen on a Sony reader. This does exist on the Kindle, but is quicker than a page turn and not noticeable as your eyes move up to the top of the page.

**Experimental Features**
Part of my reason for buying this, I admit, was for the free 3G browser, but previous reviews explained limitations so I knew what I was getting. If this were a touch screen it would be better to navigate, but that would put the price up.

**Overall**
Every other feature is beautifully simple and flows perfectly. Emailing a PDF is excellent and removes dependency on reading on a VDU or printing off. I love the access to plenty of classic FREE books that I'd not necessarily want to take a chance on paying for.

I'm so impressed with this simple device and highly recommend it to all, whether you are an occasional reader or avid reader, you don't need to be technical at all either.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 21, 2010 4:43 PM GMT

The Spinning Top
The Spinning Top
Offered by uniqueplace-uk

4.0 out of 5 stars Live Performance in Hertford, 8 May 2009
This review is from: The Spinning Top (Audio CD)
I saw Graham's trio last night in Hertford. He only played tracks from this album and it is more of a mellow affair, but still with some kick to it. It may be a cliché these days, but the sound was evocative of Nick Drake in places; intricate acoustic guitar pick, double bass and effortless vocals. Great to see him break into an unexpected alto-sax (?) on one track. He declined requests for older music, like Freaking Out as he claimed he couldn't do it justice because "Mr. Gibson" was at home. I'm glad he resisted the urge, he's clearly proud of this and so he should be. Looking forward to the album.

The God Delusion
The God Delusion
by Richard Dawkins

3.0 out of 5 stars Good point, but too many scores to settle., 25 Feb. 2008
This review is from: The God Delusion (Paperback)
I enjoyed most of this book, but couldn't help feeling that it could have been written in half the number of pages. Richard Dawkins seems almost obsessed with settling old scores or boosting his ego, which sadly undermines the books importance. But if you are willing to oversee his ego, plus his numerous forward and reverse references to placed in this and his other books, there is true value in this book.

I've enjoyed picking this up again as a light point of reference. It was useful after hearing a young woman re-use Pascal's wager (if you must write prose in poems, the words you use should be your own, don't plagiarise or take on lone). I wanted to remind myself of Dawkins way that he handled it - I bet he's good at chess.