Profile for D. Stan > Reviews

D. Stan (U.K.)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6
Educa 16267 - Frozen - 500 pieces - Disney Family Puzzle
Educa 16267 - Frozen - 500 pieces - Disney Family Puzzle

3.0 out of 5 stars Review of: "Educa Borras Wooden Frozen Puzzle (500 Pieces)" ..., 14 Jan. 2015
Review of: "Educa Borras Wooden Frozen Puzzle (500 Pieces)"

A few misleading statements in the advert, enough to return it to the sender, however being a Frozen fan I kept it. Price/quality wise is OK, the end result is superb indeed.

1. It's not a wooden puzzle, it's regular cardboard pieces.
2. On the box it says "11+ years" - so it's not suitable for smaller kids.
3. "The puzzle pieces are larger than usual" - at lowest is 1.5cm and at highest 3cm (0.6inch - 1.2inch). It's not a larger format.

Horton Hatches the Egg: Yellow Back Book (Dr. Seuss - Yellow Back Book)
Horton Hatches the Egg: Yellow Back Book (Dr. Seuss - Yellow Back Book)
by Dr. Seuss

2.0 out of 5 stars This is a softcover, 4 Dec. 2013
I am not reviewing the story, which is what would you expect from Dr. Seuss (5 stars), but the actual print.

The book is a softcover, mind this small detail if your child doesn't know how to care and maintain books, this won't last long before it gets permanently damaged (as it happened in my case).

I have plenty of Dr. Seuss books, all of them hardcovers which got a lot of abuse and still holding up pretty well. This one got damaged after a few days. If you really like this story, try and get a hardcover print.

Jelly Belly 15217 3D Jelly Bean Air Freshener - Lemon Drop
Jelly Belly 15217 3D Jelly Bean Air Freshener - Lemon Drop
Offered by Car Spares Direct

1.0 out of 5 stars It doesn't last for long, 4 Dec. 2013
Unfortunately the scent won't last for long (a few days only). Other "flavours" from Jelly Belly seem to be way better.

I gave this one a try after seeing that they are in demand (only 5 in stock), however this may be just a gimmick to sell a freshener that doesn't quite deliver the quality I was expecting from Jelly Belly.

My advice: Jelly Bellies are the best, but skip the Lemon Drop. Literally, it's the smallest drop ever.

Grave Encounters 2 [DVD]
Grave Encounters 2 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sean Rogerson
Offered by Fulfillment Next Day

1.0 out of 5 stars Boring Encounters, 4 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Grave Encounters 2 [DVD] (DVD)
I enjoyed the first one, therefore I had to buy the continuation. With the exception of Sean Rogerson's time on the screen, the whole movie is boring and lacks the impact that the first one had. The main character is also empty as hell, even though the movie spends more than 30 minutes trying to build his profile for us. It's not believable, and I don't buy the "your typical youtube guy" portrait they are trying to make.

The first movie somehow made the asylum look endless, this one is pretty cramped and there is a lot of time spent in rooms or chatting about how big the asylum is, but not showing it anymore. They are also adding a surrealist dimension to the whole thing, when in fact it should have just been about tormented ghosts not finding their peace in the afterlife. Now it's all about parallel dimensions, a ghost that wants to make a movie and has the power to alter reality. Common Vicious Brothers, we've seen this before in Evil Dead, you cannot top that. It needs Bruce Campbell to achieve, not a bunch of youtubers.

Two police officers "requesting backup" after finding a guy walking in the middle of the road is hilarious. It's the lack of attention to detail that makes this movie bad and not worthy as a sequel to the first one.

I can go on... but my advice is to watch on Lovefilm/Netflix if available.

Grave Encounters [DVD]
Grave Encounters [DVD]
Dvd ~ Sean Rogerson
Offered by best_value_entertainment

4.0 out of 5 stars Good found footage horror, worthy for your collection, 4 Dec. 2013
This review is from: Grave Encounters [DVD] (DVD)
I discovered this horror gem in 2013, and I was glad that it is really cheap on Amazon.

When I first saw it the last 28 minutes of the movie seemed to pass really slowly, it was very intense. It has very good replay value, and when you re-watch it you can see that actually some of the intense scenes are quite funny.

I know it received poor critic reviews, but I've seen many movies being reviewed badly, that are quite good actually, so don't take the reviews as a guidance in this case. Buy, watch and return if you don't like.

My advice is: if you are after asylum based horror, ignore the "Asylum tapes" and go straight for this one.

Acting wise I can't fault it (as I did for Blair Witch Project, my fav. lost footage horror) - all the guys are good, especially Sean Rogerson who seemed to be born for this role.

It gets 4 stars mainly because there is no audio commentary, I was really looking forward to hear what the Vicious Brothers have to say about their movie.

It plays on the Mac (I bought many DVDs from Amazon who had Windows autoplay installers and didn't play on my Mac, so it worth mentioning)

The Blair Witch Project [DVD]
The Blair Witch Project [DVD]
Dvd ~ Heather Donahue
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars If you haven't been lost in the woods, now is the time, 6 Nov. 2013
If I am not wrong, this is the movie that set up the "lost footage" trend, so comparing a 1999 movie with the heavyweight champions of the genre is a bit unfair. But this movie shows you nothing, and delivers everything - and this is very rare these days. At least not without special effects and careful staging of every scene - a luxury which The Blair Witch Project never had.

The audio commentary on the DVD was good, but it spoiled the ending for me, because they confirm what is in the last frame of the movie.

I totally get this movie, mainly because I've been lost in the woods before, in the night, and it was the most terrifying experience of my life. Every crack, every noise, every shadow were creeping us out. Phone batteries were almost dead, the GPS coverage on my SATNAV was poor. If you think this movie is boring and unrealistic, wait until you live the experience for yourself.

It gets 4 stars instead of 5, mainly because some of the acting was poor, especially Joshua Leonard. Watch the "I kicked the map" scene, and you'll see what I am talking about.

Sunshine [DVD] [2007]
Sunshine [DVD] [2007]
Dvd ~ Cillian Murphy
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Top sci-fi movie, with loads of extras on DVD, 2 Nov. 2013
This review is from: Sunshine [DVD] [2007] (DVD)
It worth buying this DVD just for the audio commentary by Dr. Brian Cox. Enough said he was a science advisor for the movie and the character Capa is modelled after him.

You have also: 2 audio commentaries (Dr. Cox and the director Danny Boyle), which are excellent; deleted scenes, web production diaries (23 short movies), and two independent unrelated short movies.

Watching the extras, listening to the audio commentaries, made me appreciate this film even more than before.

This DVD is a worthy addition to any sci-fi enthusiast movie collection.

The No-Cry Sleep Solution: Gentle Ways to Help Your Baby Sleep Through the Night
by Elizabeth Pantley

1.0 out of 5 stars Breastfeed and forget this book, 18 Oct. 2013
In UK the ante-natal classes are still the best way to get real life solutions from experienced mid-wives.

Easy to spot a not so experienced mid-wife, she will always redirect you to a book or NHS leaflet.

I bought this book mainly because of its good reviews and low price, I was desperate. Most of the parents (including myself) do not have the time, the patience and the clear head - after sleepless nights - to deal with the child calmly, without panicking and getting fed up with the situation. Especially if it's your first child.

Me and my wife were facing the dilemma: how to put the baby to sleep without letting her cry for more than 1 minute. The solution was simple: breast feeding. No formula milk, no letting your child cry till he/she eventually falls asleep, no pacifiers.

This book is too technical, and a stressed and tired parent won't find the time and energy to memorize the routines in the book (that may not work in your case), repeat, try and test the different scenarios and routines from the book and do a "Ten Days Prebedtime Routine Log". Those 10 days will turn into months of experimentation, and when you think you finally got it, your child will go back to square one - trust me, that happened to me. You will feel, as we did, that we wasted our time trying the routines in this book. The "Exact bed time routine" theory from the book didn't work for us either, every single time it was different, no matter how hard you try to enforce it.

Just go with the flow, breastfeed (this will create the bond with your child), and everything will get way better soon. THE BOND is what you need, and no book in the world will give you a routine for that.

Above the age of 2, "good cop, bad cop" works like a charm.

Good luck! And remember, "A person is a person, no matter how small" - don't treat your precious one as a broken record that will stop eventually after 10 minutes of playing.

ENDUROSHIELD AUTOGLASS - HIGH PERFORMANCE RAIN REPELLANT AND GLASS PROTECTION.
ENDUROSHIELD AUTOGLASS - HIGH PERFORMANCE RAIN REPELLANT AND GLASS PROTECTION.
Offered by Enduroshield UK Ltd

1.0 out of 5 stars Not impressed, 18 Oct. 2013
I used another similar product before (sorry I can't remember the name), so do I know that there are products that do the job, but not this one. In my case I ended up with:
- loads of haze on the windows after the very first rain hit
- the windscreen and the rear screen (I didn't apply it on the side door windows) haze and get steamy like never before, while the side windows stay clear.

England is a windy place, try to use this product which has a spray applicator outside, and you will probably end up by wasting half of it.

If you want dirty and steamy windows, this is the perfect product. It may work well in a testing lab, but outdoors, real life beats it.

Tom And Jerry - Complete Volumes 1-6 [Collector's Edition Box Set] [DVD] [2006]
Tom And Jerry - Complete Volumes 1-6 [Collector's Edition Box Set] [DVD] [2006]
Dvd ~ Tom and Jerry

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent, 18 Oct. 2013
I won't comment on the content, as there are plenty of reviews about it already. What I would like to mention is two things:
- the packaging is poor, I had to take the DVDs out and put them in separate DVD cases to avoid them constantly falling off.
- the DVDs are dual side layered, that means that they will get have more chances to get damage. Add the poor packaging on top of that, and you will end up with a short life product. This is not what you would expect from a "Collector's edition".

Of course the price went down straight after I purchased, typical for Amazon third party sellers.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6