Profile for Peter Taylor > Reviews

Content by Peter Taylor

Peter Taylor (London UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7
Venus on the Half-shell (Panther Books)
Venus on the Half-shell (Panther Books)
by Kilgore Trout

5.0 out of 5 stars Want to discover the meaning of life ? Why not., 13 July 2014
One of the funniest books you are likely to read. It preceeds hitchhickers gttg and has the same basic theme.
A minor classic and well worth a read - if you want to discover the meaning of life that is.

Wooden Incense Stick Holder with brass inlay
Wooden Incense Stick Holder with brass inlay
Offered by best deal 4 u
Price: 0.70

3.0 out of 5 stars Makes a good shoehorn, 24 Jun 2014
Not long enough for standard length incense stick but at total cost of less than 1 pound - well its quite well made and useful for a shoehorn.

Sealey PW2500 170Bar Pressure Washer
Sealey PW2500 170Bar Pressure Washer
Price: 219.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Jet washer with some real power., 24 Jun 2014
Genuinely powerful unit. Won't remove really sun-baked litchen from concrete pavers quickly but will shift just about everything else and great on brickwork. Unit is very heavy and mine was delivered damaged with cracked handle and case which I had to fix with tape because I needed to use the unit immediately in a weeks vacation so loses a star. In use there is quite a bit of vibration so best to wear thick soft gloves or can be uncomfortable on long stints. There doesn't seem to be a standard extra for a rotary patio cleaner which is a pity but I'm investigating this with third party suppliers. In my case wouldn't work with my auto circuit breaker socket outlet which kept tripping out so had to use a non circuit breaker socket as with some lawn mowers. This could be an issue if you don't have this option, although it may be my garden circuit breaker is set too sensitively.
I find the roll up hose reel quite good and there is a built in holster for the gun which is also handy. I've been using the rotoblast nozzle most but the standard adjustable head nozzle is almost as good for normal cleaning and gives less vibration. I find the design and colour of the unit professional and quite pleasing with nice big wheels which makes it easy to pull up steps.
Warning - This unit delivers a very fierce jet of water so take precautions, wear eye protection and don't let your kids loose with it without proper instruction. Bottom line - glad I bought it and it satisfied expectations but that cracked case - Grrrrrrrrr!!!

Adaptation [DVD] [2003]
Adaptation [DVD] [2003]
Dvd ~ Nicolas Cage|Meryl Streep
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 3.77

4.0 out of 5 stars In a class of its own, 7 Oct 2013
This review is from: Adaptation [DVD] [2003] (DVD)
I bought this film in a charity shop never having heard of it for a pound. Like 'Magnolia' this film does not conform to any known genre. Like life itself it sets out on a course it can never follow and the whole point of the film is the path of necessity that nature follows to fulfill its ends, whatever they may be. You may, as I did find the ending rather disappointing since it finally veers into standard 'rational' thriller pulp fiction, having been a quite profound observation on the evolution of human behaviour, but disappointment is also part of the theme and in my view it's definitely-definitely worth a watch. Great performances by Streep and Cage - who proves he can actually act. 4 stars because DVD transfer was only 'good' and ending was too scripted and didn't reflect quality of the original book but still the best pound I've spent for years.

PhotoStage Free Slideshow Maker
PhotoStage Free Slideshow Maker
Price: 0.00

1.0 out of 5 stars So near but so far., 27 Aug 2013
I wasted a whole day with this product. At first I thought it would be great. It does everything I wanted from a slideshow maker. Loads music, stills and movie clips from most formats and has all the tools, transforms, effects,text, zooms etc. I need for my projects, and a range of output formats. The interface is very well thought out and intuitive, perfect I thought, but after I'd loaded several pictures things started to slip. I got my first lockup after loading a fairly large image so reduced it and reloaded. As I loaded more images the lockups became more frequent. Bottom line, by halfway through a five minute presentation it was unusable. It locked up at almost any image manipulation and also locked up when test exporting to wmv or avi in mid production. I was forced to give up after several hours work. This is a terrible shame because the interface design is excellent. In its current bug ridden form however its worse than useless unless you want to do really small simple presentations. Technical note - I'm running a fairly new Windows 7 desktop with 2GB RAM.

Beyerdynamic DT 231 Headphone - Closed Back design
Beyerdynamic DT 231 Headphone - Closed Back design
Price: 35.04

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality sound but limited life earpads and cable, 16 July 2013
I've bought two pairs of these now. Really like the sound quality and they are comfortable but in both cases the padding in the earpads collapsed after a couple of years and in one case cable became inoperative after getting caught in chair wheel. Now looking at alternatives.But sound quality is really good while they last.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 10, 2014 11:28 PM GMT

Plastic Ono Band - Classic Albums [DVD] [2006] [DVD] [1970]
Plastic Ono Band - Classic Albums [DVD] [2006] [DVD] [1970]
Dvd ~ John Lennon
Price: 12.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Essential Lennon Viewing, 24 Mar 2013
This is all based on Lennons first solo album but anyone interested in Lennons life in general will also be fascinated by this. Gives great insights into his musical and philosophic aspirations and hangups too with plenty of interviews with those most closely involved with this album and lots of footage of Lennon himself which I had never seen before. Quality of DVD is top mrate and there is a great bonus section with mixes and deleted sections from his original masters. Highly Recommended.

King Lear [DVD]
King Lear [DVD]
Dvd ~ Paul Scofield

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable - but not for the uninitiated, 22 Dec 2012
This review is from: King Lear [DVD] (DVD)
I came to this not knowing the story. I'm a great fan of Scofield in film who was so brilliant in A Man for all Seasons and the Train. I was however soon feeling dismayed because the film is shot in black and white and is very grainy and with very poor quality lighting. Also at the opening Scofield speaks in old English as you'd expect but mumbles to the extent where its difficult to follow of the plot. Not having seen King Leer before or read it I found this quite distressing. The story is quite depressing as you probably already know but the sets emphasis the tragegy and are, especially at the latter part of the film, full of dark grimy scenes with raggedy people dragging themselves around in the mud. The whole effect was certainly not inspiring. I dislike writing negative reviews which often attract negative comments and have since read the scope of the play in modern english and will undoubtedly enjoy it more on a second viewing but I would suggest this film is more for the Shakespearean expert rather than the novice.

The World Of The Children Volume 4
The World Of The Children Volume 4
by Stuart Miall

5.0 out of 5 stars A real gem, 9 Dec 2012
My parents bought this book for my brother and I as children. Its a real gem and full of useful articles and illustrations on art science and almost every subject imaginable.Its an old book so not much on electronics or computers but for its era a wonderland of easy to read and well illustrated articles which definitely influenced my development in a positive way.

Collateral - 2 Disc Collectors Edition [DVD]
Collateral - 2 Disc Collectors Edition [DVD]
Dvd ~ Tom Cruise
Offered by Jasuli
Price: 2.70

3.0 out of 5 stars Unconvincing, 9 Dec 2012
Quite an exciting film and worth a watch but wholly unconvincing. TC plays an extreme pychopathic hitman who forces an unwitting cab driver to take him around LA from hit to hit. The violence is extreme and gratuitous and Mr Cruise never seems completely comfortable in the part. My main objection however is that so many scenes and locations are taken out of the much better film 'Heat' made several years earlier by the same director, even down to using the same train station location and street scenes.A city the size of LA is surely big enough to find a few new street corners to film from. The conclusion is both inevitable and predictable and I found nothing in the film from which I could identify meaningfully with any form of normal human behaviour.
Disc 2 gives the 'how it was made story, which doesn't inpart much useful information except that the emphasis in preparation was all about combat training not acting ability. Still I suppose thats what you might expect from this kind of movie.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Aug 18, 2013 10:18 AM BST

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7