Profile for Diane H > Reviews

See You There
See You There
Price: 12.42

5.0 out of 5 stars A great collection, 28 Aug 2013
This review is from: See You There (Audio CD)
Have just received this CD today and on first listening, I really like the 'stripped down' versions of some of Glen's great songs. All the wonderful music backings I have grown up with and loved on all his previous recordings have given way to the barest of backings on many tracks, almost distorted and far away guitar accompaniments.

I really like Postcard from Paris and What I Wouldn't Give. The jury is still out on There's No Me Without You - I do like this version, but for me the Ghost on the Canvas version was a complete knockout. As a reasonable guitar player myself, the playing on this version of the song was amazing.

Glen's voice may be a little wobbly in parts, but this only adds to the complete charm of this selection. The talent is very much still with us.

Bobbie Gentry & Glen Campbell / Anne Murray & Glen Campbell
Bobbie Gentry & Glen Campbell / Anne Murray & Glen Campbell
Price: 10.67

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect duets, 28 Aug 2013
I have been hoping for a long time to add the Glen Campbell/Bobbie Gentry collection to my collection. Really like the duetting of this pair, lovely gentle songs, many of which are immediately recognisable, eg Little Green Apples, Gentle on my Mind, My Elusive Dreams, Scarborough Fair. I really like Sunday Morning and Let it be Me.

The bonus of having Glen Campbell/Anne Murray makes for a good all round selection. I saw these two many years ago in concert, so for me it was a trip down memory lane. In my opinion the best tracks are, I say a little prayer/By the time I get to Phoenix and United we Stand.

The Glen/Bobbie collection is the better of the two, if I have to choose.

TRY A LITTLE KINDNESS, THE GLEN CAMPBELL
TRY A LITTLE KINDNESS, THE GLEN CAMPBELL
Price: 12.36

5.0 out of 5 stars A good selection, 28 Aug 2013
I have all three of these albums on vinyl, and I rate it 5 stars purely for the Glen Csmpbell Goodtime album - in this country it was The Glen Campbell Album. I have always loved this album especially McArthur Park, Dream Sweet Dreams About Me, Funny Kind of Monday.

It is closely followed by Try a Little Kindness, my favourites being Where do you go, Folk Singer, Love is not a game
(probably the best song of the album), and, And the world keeps spinning.

Probably the let down of the three is The Last Time I Saw Her, which in my view has no real outstanding songs, even though Dream Baby was a big chart hit. When I purchased the album on vinyl a number of years ago, I immediately felt a lack of the 'real Glen Campbell.'

Still, all in all,a really good collection of songs and a must for all GC fans.

A Play on Words
A Play on Words
Edition: Mass Market Paperback

5.0 out of 5 stars A Deric Classic, 11 Oct 2012
Along with Diana's Story and Lost for Words, A Play on Words is definitely one of Deric's best. He is again at his wittiest and can find something funny in virtually anything. Having read Lost for Words and seen it a number of times on TV, I found it really interesting through this story how the drama eventually came to be aired. Nothing more to be said really - many laughs a minute around Deric and his observations on life - a brilliant read.

Diana's Story
Diana's Story

5.0 out of 5 stars Absolutely wonderful, 19 July 2012
This review is from: Diana's Story (Paperback)
Having at last just read the marvellous 'Lost for Words' by Deric Longden, I was compelled to read Diana's Story. I must have laughed till I nearly cried. To be able to inject such humour into a true life situation, when in reality life was far from a bed of roses, and was going increasingly downhill for Deric and Diana, is no mean feat. To be able to portray what must have been an awful time (to put it mildly)with so much hope and sheer devotion towards Diana, was wonderful to read. Of course, there had to be the inevitable ending - but even that felt like a fitting celebration of the life of a truly remarkable woman. Brilliant!

Lost For Words
Lost For Words

5.0 out of 5 stars Lost for Words - just brilliant!, 14 July 2012
This review is from: Lost For Words (Paperback)
Having seen at least 3 times the wonderful TV drama with Thora Hird and Pete Postlethwaite, finally got around to buying the book. Reading it, I was picturing these two wonderful actors as they recited word for word much of the story. This is a cannot put down book. I laughed so much when reading each page, despite the inevitable sad ending.

Oh, to have had a mother such as Mrs Longden - priceless. Have today received Diana's story and just got through the first chapter - hopefully another real treat.

The Boy in Me
The Boy in Me
Offered by EliteDigital UK
Price: 12.95

5.0 out of 5 stars Another piece of Campbell magic, 23 Nov 2011
This review is from: The Boy in Me (Audio CD)
I bought this CD, as a tape, a number of years ago in America and for many years have been trying to get it on CD. If you read my other reviews on Mr Campbell, you will see that I am a long-time fan.

Here the songs are quite different, many quite religious. The title song alone 'The Boy in Me' - is a lovely piece of reminiscence, and would not be out of place on Ghost on the Canvas. "I remember not so long ago........playing baseball and boxing with my shadow." Just lovely songs on an album that I do not remember getting much publicity, if at all. Well worth having in your collection.

Live
Live
Price: 10.26

4.0 out of 5 stars I remember Glen Campbell, 23 Nov 2011
This review is from: Live (Audio CD)
This is the Glen Campbell I remember seeing in concert many years ago. I also have an LP of a similar concert in London in, I think, 1969. The jokes may be corny, but the musical talent is undeniable. I have always thought the partnership of Glen Campbell and Jimmy Webb to be ideal and on this live recording, we have the beautiful Where's the Playground, Susie?, Didn't We and By the Time I get to Phoenix, as well as some of Glen's other more well known songs and even a couple I hadn't heard before. I did not think this was possible, as I have been an avid fan since Galveston, and thought I had about all of his material.

I will say I don't like For Once in My Life and Somewhere - to me they just don't seem like his type of songs. In this rare instance it could just be his interpretation, or I think it could be that I have never really liked these songs anyway. But the rest bring back great memories of when I used to rush to buy his latest vinyl offering.

Having played 'Live' and 'Ghost on the Canvas' back to back - this man still has the ability to interpret a song so that it brings a lump to my throat. Indeed, he has always been able to interpret a fairly mediocre song and make it sound pretty good or even better.

Finally, if anyone out there is listening - can we please have'Highwayman' re-released on CD. I have a very mangled tape and, for the title song alone, it must surely be worth putting out.

Ghost on the Canvas
Ghost on the Canvas
Price: 19.26

5.0 out of 5 stars Wow - what an ending to an incredible career!, 1 Sep 2011
This review is from: Ghost on the Canvas (Audio CD)
I have followed Glen since Galveston and the Jimmy Webb days. Seen him in concert and got most of his material. Have been waiting so long for Ghost on the Canvas. What a brilliant album. Thought 'Meet Glen Campbell' was exceptional and this one is definitely growing, growing, growing on me. In other words I love it! I only hope that it will NOT be his last album. However, should this be the case, I wish him a great retirement and thank him for his great voice and musical talent. A triumph yet again.