Profile for Oldromola > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Discovered Again [VINYL]
Discovered Again [VINYL]

5.0 out of 5 stars This is a 5 star album!, 3 Nov 2012
This review is from: Discovered Again [VINYL] (Vinyl)
I know I am not the only person in the world who possesses two copies of this in its original LP format - one to play frequently and a 'special' mint copy to play on my birthday and on Christmas Day. Everything about this project is just right from the gentle contemporary feel of the music to the superb sound of the disc itself. I know one should rate the music rather than the technical competence of the sound engineers behind the recording, but with these recordings Sheffield Lab almost certainly set a standard that has never been bettered. If you still have a decent turntable then go for the vinyl, but I believe the CD version is almost as good.

dancing on the edge of the world LP
dancing on the edge of the world LP

4.0 out of 5 stars New to me and much enjoyed., 3 Nov 2012
Again I am grateful to Amazon UKs inveterate reviewer Julian Stevens who suggested I might like to try this one. I was lucky in that I was able to purchase a copy on a near mint vinyl LP (good vinyl played on quality equipment is better than CD isn't it?). I am not familiar with the Kit Walker entourage, but I have greatly enjoyed this recording. Highly recommended, I am giving it 4 stars, but would award 9 out of 10 were it possible to do so.

Beyond the Clouds
Beyond the Clouds

4.0 out of 5 stars An amazing group!, 3 Nov 2012
This review is from: Beyond the Clouds (Audio CD)
Quite an amazing group. Obviously Jim Walker is a superb flautist but so is Mike Garson a superb pianist and arranger. A most varied programme including classical, bebop and the Beatles. I enjoyed every track, but if I had to choose a favourite it would be Mike Garson's virtuoso bebop arrangement of Cole Porter's 'What is this thing called love?' I am rating this 4 stars, but would award 9 out of 10 stars were it possible to do so.

The Last Dance of Mr.X
The Last Dance of Mr.X
Offered by playanywhere

5.0 out of 5 stars A wonderful album, 3 Nov 2012
This review is from: The Last Dance of Mr.X (Audio CD)
I bought this following a recommendation from Amazon UK reviewer Julian Stevens, and I'm highly delighted I did. Please see Julian's expert review for fuller details. If you are a jazz enthusiast like I am, you may wonder what interest you might find in a recording by a pop guitarist. The answer is plenty. The first 'heavy metal' type track (Big Thing) reminds me of my favourite heavy metal album - John McLauglin's `Trio of Doom'. There is no better. I like all the tracks, but my number 1 has to be his wonderful improvisation on the Mingus tune `Goodbye Pork Pie Hat' at the end. Deeply felt and lovely to listen to. A 5 star no brainer.

I Left My Heart In San Francisco
I Left My Heart In San Francisco

4.0 out of 5 stars Ok but not so good as the Basie recordings, 3 Nov 2012
Most of us have known and loved this for a life-time, and I have just replaced my old mono LP for the CD version. At the same time I have been playing my 'Tony Bennett and Count Basie' LP and I had forgotten just how very good the latter was. However, feeling rather sentimental for 'San Francisco' I shall give in a 4 star rating.

The Hissing Of Summer Lawns
The Hissing Of Summer Lawns

5.0 out of 5 stars In France they kiss......, 1 Nov 2012
Although I have known the 'Big Yellow Taxi' song and the Mingus album for decades, it is only since reading `Girls Like Us: Carole King, Joni Mitchell, Carly Simon---and the Journey of a Generation' by Sheila Weller and Susan Ericksen, that I started to listen to other of Joni Mitchell's albums. I think this and 'Don Juan' are my very favourites - they are both simply brilliant.

J.S. Bach: Brandenburg Concertos 1-6
J.S. Bach: Brandenburg Concertos 1-6

5.0 out of 5 stars Period instruments? - rather nice!, 1 Nov 2012
I have taken some persuading to go along with the period instrument movement. For example, I still prefer the big Bach organ works on an English romantic organ in a building with a decent acoustic. Ever heard the big B minor in an English Cathedral? - it's simply thrilling! (I know, I am a Philistine) However, I love this disc and am playing it now in preference to my Mariner or Menuhin versions. Gorgeous fresh sound and , where appropriate, lively tempos.

Bach: Violin Concertos, BWV1041-1043 & 1060
Bach: Violin Concertos, BWV1041-1043 & 1060

5.0 out of 5 stars Bach Violin Concertos at their best, 1 Nov 2012
I suspect that many other reviewers of this disc have, like myself, several other copies of the Bach Violin Concertos in their collections. I have always loved Arthur Grumiaux's playing since I bought his Berg Violin Concerto on vinyl many, many years ago. Although these recordings date from the 70s I think everyone concerned got it just right and the sound is excellent. Not a romantic sound, neither too baroque! Full marks,

Music of Samuel Barber
Music of Samuel Barber

5.0 out of 5 stars Superb Samuel Barber disc, 6 Oct 2012
This review is from: Music of Samuel Barber (Audio CD)
I already have both the Dawn Upshaw and Kathleen Battle versions of 'Knoxville' but I have to agree with previous reviewers in that Silvia McNair, Yoel Levi and the Atlanta Symphony Orchestra do a truly excellent job. Miss McNair handles the vocal line with consummate ease, and her annunciation is a model of clarity. Is it a trifle slower than other versions? Not sure if it is but, whatever, the pace seems just right to my ears.

I bought the disc on account of 'Knoxville', but the Second Essay was a wonderful bonus. Altogether longer and more complex than the earlier 'Essay' it receives a first class reading (and recording) here. Thoroughly recommended.

The New Bossa Nova
The New Bossa Nova

4.0 out of 5 stars The New Bossa No, 20 Sep 2010
This review is from: The New Bossa Nova (Audio CD)
I have only come accross Luciana Souza and this lovely cd recently, and I completely agree with the comments made by other reviewers. These are all highly sophisticated songs - you won't find a sniff of anything remotely trite here - but I wouldn't recommend listening to this if you are prone to depression! Nearly all the songs are slow or very slow, and this is my one criticism of the cd. In my humble opinion the one brisker song - The Waters of March - is the highlight of the collection. Neither Miss Souza nor the musicians put a foot wrong here. A marvellous arrangement from start to finish. Because of the rather similar, slow tempi I am giving this very beautiful cd 4 stars.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5