Profile for Mr. A. Chandler > Reviews

Mr. A. Chandler

Smoke & Mirrors
Smoke & Mirrors

4.0 out of 5 stars Smoke and Mirrors - A mixed bag with some gems, 5 Aug. 2010
This review is from: Smoke & Mirrors (Audio CD)
In anticipation of Lifehouse's impending return to the UK in October I thought I would write a review for their new release Smoke and Mirrors. Having been a fan since their first release, No Name Face, it has been interesting to see them progress as a band and I thought it would be very difficult for the band to surpass their previous outing Who We Are. The album begins with a song that will get you hooked instantly. All In, their current single in the States, is a fantastic, knee-stomping song which you will struggle not to sing along to when you know the lyrics, it is superb. The other main stand out track for me is It Is What It Is, a stunning song which I would argue isn't really in the LIfehouse mould but it is delivered perfectly with Jason Wade's vocals sounding incredible on this heart-rending number. Some would probably disagree about my other favourite songs, Wrecking Ball, sung by Bryce Soderberg is a refreshing song which adds something a bit different to the album which we haven't seen before. It's, by no means, a groundbreaking song but it is a solid effort. The same can also be said for In Your Skin which possesses fantastic lyrics.
On the negative side, there are a number of songs on the album which don't sit well with me. Nerve Damage is a strange one which can get a little annoying. Had Enough is bland and doesn't really go anywhere. Smoke and Mirrors is also unfortunately quite a dull song.

On the whole I would definitely recommend buying the album if you are a hardcore fan or if you are not sure, buy individual songs.

What About Now / You Raise Me Up (Live)
What About Now / You Raise Me Up (Live)
Offered by Direct Entertainment UK

1.0 out of 5 stars Another cover, desicrating my favourite band, 26 Oct. 2009
I felt sick to my core seeing cover merchants Westlife absolutely maul what is a fantastic song from Daughtry, one of the US's hottest rock bands currently. If you are true music fans, shun this train wreck and support real music. The first and second Daughtry albums are both fantastic and should be in everyone's collections.

Valkyria Chronicles (PS3)
Valkyria Chronicles (PS3)
Offered by scaddingk

5.0 out of 5 stars A game of epic proportions, 4 Feb. 2009
Having played around 20 hours of the game but not yet completed it, I feel compelled to write a few things about Valkyria Chronicles. For me, this is what gaming is all about, a gripping storyline, gorgeous water colour graphics and an intuitive battle system make this a joy to behold. You follow the story of a young chap called Welkin and his adopted sister Isara as they are drawn into the 2nd Europa war, a fictional continant. Welkin quickly works his way up the ranks and becomes the leader of Squad 7 and this is where the best part of the game starts. You are able to tailor your squad of soldiers by having a selection of different fighting styles, scouts, shocktroopers and the Lancers for example. Each individual you select to be in your team is very different and there are brilliant characters who react differently on the battle field which is a nice touch. My personal favourite is the gay lancer Jann who 'gets lost in the muscles' when he is near to male comrades, particularly the main Lancer Largo. The battle system is brilliant, in brief terms you control your tank or soldiers as you see fit as your maneuvre around what can sometimes be very vast battlefields. Each battle requires thought and skill as you need to determine which class of soldier is most suited to a situation or whether you need a mix. You gain experience as the time goes on and weapons can be upgraded as well as the tank/s. All in all, i would have to say that this is probably the best game I have played on the PS3, do not hesitate to buy it if you are a fan of role-playing or strategy games or just love a damn good story led game.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 25, 2013 2:11 PM GMT

We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things.
We Sing. We Dance. We Steal Things.
Offered by best_value_entertainment

2.0 out of 5 stars We sing, We dance, we bore people...., 27 Jun. 2008
I am fairly dissapointed by this third studio album by Jason. His first, Waiting for My Rocket to Come was an album jam packed with tunes that could be listened to all the way through. This was followed up by Mr A-Z which in all honesty was a mixed bag only saved by the epic final track, Song for a Friend. We sing, we dance, we steal things is a strange offering from Mraz. I'm yours is clearly the standout track, absolutely love it. For me the only other highlight are the quirky Lucky and Butterfly. I read the back to see he had done a duet with James Morrison, another fantastic artist. An opportunity wasted, Details in the Fabric is a demure lifeless song. So much potential for such a collaboration! I think i'll stick with Mraz's live performances on Youtube, check out the perormance of I'm Yours to a Korean audience and a Sleep all day performance from 2003 are both phenominal.

The Inbetweeners - Series 1 [DVD]
The Inbetweeners - Series 1 [DVD]
Dvd ~ Simon Bird
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars I'm off to find the clunge!, 23 Jun. 2008
I didn't catch this truly hilarious show on its first outing on E4 but managed to catch it when all episodes were played back-to-back! Funniest few hours of my life!

This comedy is so true to life and makes me miss those funny years at Sixth form. More so because i can relate to the group flitting between the 'in-crowd' and the 'nobodies'. Every school has its social divides!

Personal highlight for me was Jay's 'new friend'. The ribbing given to him from the lads was hilarious and you knew he would break at some point. Jumping up and down on the bonnet on his 'new friend's' car and shouting expletives has to be one of the funniest comedy moments i have seen in a long time, rivalled some Alan Partridge moments. When Jay originally gave the thumbs up to his 'new mate', I cringed as I know I am guilty of doing the same thing almost all my life.

Also look out for Will's outbust to 'queue jumpers' at Thorpe Park, his most shameful moment!

This is a must buy DVD, throw it on when you are getting nostalgic about school but fancy something a bit more garish than Grange Hill!

Who We Are
Who We Are
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars I wouldn't have it any other way!, 10 July 2007
This review is from: Who We Are (Audio CD)
I was fairly dissapointed with the previous outing with the self-titled album only possessing a handful of great songs. However, Who We Are is an amazing return to form from the fantastic Lifehouse. I have had the album now since the summer of 2007 and it remains fresh and i'm sure it will do for the foreseeable future. My favourite songs include 'Broken' which i do believe to be Lifehouse's best song to date. I rarely hear a song that sends shivers down my spine but this certainly hits the spot, particularly as it reaches the latter stages. Amazing song! 'The Joke' is an absolute scorcher, rasping vocals from jason grab you immediately as the song starts. 'Storm' is a beautiful song to end the album, absolutely love it, Jason's tender and smooth vocals really pull at the heart strings. Only song i'm not too keen on is 'Bridges', doesn't quite fit in with the rest of the album. If only Lifehouse could gain some more recognition in the UK, people are seriously missing out by not hearing such amazing music. Or maybe Lifehouse will always be a niche band which may be a blessing in disguise as they progress over the years to come.