Profile for FJG > Reviews

FJG "Frances" (UK)

Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 - The Missing FAQ
Adobe Photoshop Lightroom 5 - The Missing FAQ

5.0 out of 5 stars Highly recommended, 1 Jan 2014
Victoria Bampton's Lightroom guides are the only ones that I find readable - her straightforward, conversational style hits the spot with me. The book starts with a basic "getting started" guide, covering all modules (which, incidentally, you can download from her website for free), followed by chapters going deeper into each one in turn. These chapters are constructed as sets of question and answers, a technique that I find to be engaging and useful. She has a gift for explaining complex ideas in a way that's easy to understand, without being bland and boring. Other technical guides that I've tried have made my eyes glaze over, but I actually enjoy picking up this book and browsing through it.

If you buy the physical book, you get free access to an electronic copy via Victoria's website. The pdf version is more colourful and attractive than the one designed to be read on Kindles, so even if you choose to buy the Kindle version alone, I would recommend visiting her website and downloading the pdf version for use on a tablet or computer. The printed book itself is in black and white, but is still attractive and the lack of colour doesn't detract much from it in my opinion. It is apparently designed to be used in conjunction with the electronic version, and I find it useful to have both the pdf version on my Ipad and a copy of the physical book for browsing.

Finally, Victoria seems to offer everyone who buys her products fantastic personal customer service and support. I have emailed her a few times myself with queries and she has always responded quickly in person. Her website also contains tons of additional information on Lightroom.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 14, 2014 7:37 AM GMT

Emartbuy® Apple Ipad Air Ultra Thin Tough Durable Smart Gel Skin Cover Black - Compatible with Apple Smart Cover For New Apple iPad Air
Offered by emartbuyuk

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant value, 11 Dec 2013
This minimalist cover fits an ipad air very well and fully protects the back and 3 of the sides without adding too much bulk or weight. The holes are all very precisely cut out and don't block access to any of the buttons, speakers or other sockets. It works really well with a smart cover. It's not a premium product - the edges are a tiny bit "ragged" in places, but for the price it's pretty darn good and it doesn't detract too much from the ipad's appearance. I bought the clear one, which looks fine on the grey ipad, but the dark version would have been equally as good. It's easy to put on and take off, so it would be feasible just to use it on occasions when the back is liable to get scratched or mucky.

I had a similar one for my ipad 3 which cost £10, so this is a bargain. Overall I'm very pleased and would highly recommend it.

AMAZON KINDLE FIRE/ KINDLE KEYBOARD 3G + WiFi - BLACK NEOPRENE CARRY POUCH CASE BY SHOCK SOCK

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy this cover!, 29 Mar 2012
I've been happily using this cover for about 9 months now and have really liked it - it has provided simple protection for my Kindle when in a handbag etc.. However, I have just turned my Kindle over and seen that the back has a large red stain running from side to side, in the shape of the cover's red piping. The slightly rubbery material on the back of the Kindle is clearly porous and has absorbed some of the red dye. Neither the Kindle nor the cover has been wet at any time. Nothing I do will remove the stain, and I'm extremely disappointed that an item that I bought to protect my Kindle has actually defaced it! My advice is to avoid the black and red version of this cover at all costs.

Canon BU-20 - Print server - USB - Bluetooth
Canon BU-20 - Print server - USB - Bluetooth

1.0 out of 5 stars Don't buy without trying a cheap generic dongle!!!!, 10 Feb 2011
Please don't pay this crazy amount of money for a bluetooth dongle without trying an inexpensive generic one first! I popped an old £5 Belkin mini dongle in my Canon MP610's usb slot and my iMac paired with it instantly. I can now print wirelessly for free! How on earth Canon can get away with charging these crazy prices for a ubiquitous bluetooth dongle that you can pick up for next to nothing really beats me..... If an ordinary dongle doesn't work for you, then I apologise, but it's surely worth a try.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 28, 2011 12:36 PM BST

LG GD510 Pop Unlocked Mobile Phone
LG GD510 Pop Unlocked Mobile Phone

4.0 out of 5 stars Cute little Pop, 5 May 2010
I really feel I have to come to the defence of this little phone. I've been using mine for about four months now, having got it free with a very, very reasonably-priced monthly contract including a data bundle. As it is such an inexpensive phone, I had rather low expectations which have, on the whole, been exceeded. Here are my impressions:

On the plus side:
* It's tiny, well-built and attractive * The screen is reasonably bright and sharp and appears to resist scratches * Call quality is excellent * Despite being 2G, it's perfectly possible to read and send emails, especially if you download a GMail mobile app * While surfing the net is a bit slow, it's certainly possible, and it's fine for reading the news on the BBC mobile site or for checking train departures and the like * The little radio app is nice to look at and works well * The camera takes surprisingly detailed, well-exposed and sharp pictures (and I'm a bit of a photography freak), despite having a fixed-focus lens. I've taken some great pictures with it and emailed them on to friends. There are plenty of camera controls to play about with. I'd keep it for the camera alone.

On the minus side:
* The headphones are cheap-looking and uncomfortabe, althought they work and sound OK. There's no standard headphone socket and I haven't managed to find an adaptor that actually works yet. Micro USB adaptors fit but don't work
* As with most inexpensive touch-screen phones, inputting text is rather laborious. I find I don't send half as many texts as I did with my old Nokia. A stylus helps, though.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 17, 2010 5:55 PM BST

Envirosax Botanica 2 - Leaves Reusable Shopping Bag - Great Stocking Filler!
Envirosax Botanica 2 - Leaves Reusable Shopping Bag - Great Stocking Filler!

5.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant little bag!, 19 April 2010
I bought one of these bags last summer while browsing in a little gift shop in Wigtown in Scotland on a very wet day. The lady behind the counter said: "You won't regret buying this bag" and she was right! The problem with re-usable bags is that you never have one handy when you need one, but not so with this one. It's made of very fine but strong nylon, and folds up into such a tiny package that you truly don't notice it in a handbag or pocket. It's surprisingly capacious, is very well made and the handle is just the right length for putting over a shoulder. My bag has proved to be very durable and after several months of almost daily use and a couple of machine washes it looks as good as new. The only problem I have encountered was in choosing which one to buy in the first place - the colours and patterns on offer mean that they are all very stylish and appealing.