Profile for dmr > Reviews

dmr (UK)

Ethos Gingham Bone China Mugs, Set Of 4 Assorted, In Carry Gift Box
Ethos Gingham Bone China Mugs, Set Of 4 Assorted, In Carry Gift Box

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but not great, 13 Aug 2010
I bought two packs of mugs. One of the mugs was broken, but that can happen in transit and I could have asked Amazon for a refund (which wouldn't have been a problem as Amazon are a very good company to deal with), but I've decided not to as the other mugs are okay and I don't really want the hassle of returning them.

The quality of the mugs is okay, but not great. The china is okay, but the gingham print isn't straight at the top and bottom of the mugs (it's as if the gingham print was put on a bit wonky when it was sealed onto the mug).

The mugs are perhaps a little on the small side, but big enough for a decent cup of tea or coffee.

Value for money? Yes, just. If the mugs had been any dearer, I might have come to a different conclusion.

Saturday Night Peter
Saturday Night Peter
by Peter Kay

4.0 out of 5 stars Worth buying, 14 Dec 2009
This review is from: Saturday Night Peter (Hardcover)
It's generally a funny book; perhaps not as many 'laugh out loud' moments as in the first book, but still worth buying. It could perhaps have been a bit longer and a bit funnier, but a good read.

Roy Keane: Portrait of a Legend
Roy Keane: Portrait of a Legend
by Stafford Hildred

2.0 out of 5 stars Not as good as the autobiography, 20 May 2009
Having read the autobiography a few years ago, I bought this book looking for a different angle to the Keane story. I didn't really get the sense that I was being informed of anything I didn't already know, which, added to the fact that some of the text gave the impression of being out-of-date, made this a slightly disappointing read.

Worth buying? Yes, but it could I think have been better.

Girl in Blue: How One Woman Survived Fourteen Years in the Police Force
Girl in Blue: How One Woman Survived Fourteen Years in the Police Force
by Anne Ramsay

3.0 out of 5 stars Not bad, 20 May 2009
A generally interesting book, but not as good as some of the other police diaries on the market. I would recommend those other books over this one.

The Crunch: How Greed and Incompetence Sparked the Credit Crisis
The Crunch: How Greed and Incompetence Sparked the Credit Crisis
by Alex Brummer

4.0 out of 5 stars A decent read, 20 May 2009
In my view, this book is a pretty good read. It sets out in easy-to-understand language how the credit crunch happened and fills in some of the detail the media couldn't report because it would have taken too much air time. An interesting read.

Behind the Back Page: The Adventures of a Sports Writer
Behind the Back Page: The Adventures of a Sports Writer
by Christopher Davies

3.0 out of 5 stars Not a bad book, 20 May 2009
On balance, I'd say this book is worth buying and reading. It's probably not the best book of its genre to be honest, but it passes the time and it provides a funny(-ish) insight into the life of a sports journalist, even if it doesn't tell us anything we probably already didn't already know.

God Bless America: Misadventures of a Big Mouth Brit: Diaries of an Englishman in the Land of the Free
by Piers Morgan

5.0 out of 5 stars Entertaining, 16 April 2009
Basically, if you liked his previous diaries, you'll probably like this one too. It's not a serious political or historical book, but then of course it's not meant to be. Taken for what it is, i.e. a light-hearted witty gossipy look at modern "celebrity", it's a very entertaining read.

Yamaha DGX630 - Digital Piano
Yamaha DGX630 - Digital Piano

4.0 out of 5 stars A very good keyboard, 16 Jan 2009
I previously bought a DGX-220 and it was very good, but I missed the weighty touch of the keys of a proper piano. I'd therefore pondered buying the 630 for some time (I'm always a bit sceptical about manufacturers' claims etc.), but the feel of the keys on the 630 is very very good indeed and I am not at all disappointed. It's expensive, but I feel it's worth the money, given the feel of the keys and all the sounds and connectivity options the 630 offers.

My only gripe would be that I feel the "default" Grand Piano option sounds a bit soft. I prefer the Bright Piano, but that's a matter of taste and there are so many piano sounds on the 630 that one of them is bound to fit the bill.
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 5, 2009 12:58 AM BST

The Home Stretch: From Prison to Parole
The Home Stretch: From Prison to Parole
by Erwin James

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 14 Oct 2008
I agree with the previous review that the first book was better, but both books were good to read and recommended. I found it a bit frustrating not being told what offence Erwin had committed as that would I think have put what he said in his books into context. Given the length of the sentence he served, and the fact he seemed a generally 'good' person, he presumably committed a very serious crime to end up in jail in the first place. A good book though.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: May 25, 2009 8:41 PM BST

Walking the Streets, the Book, Not the Blog
Walking the Streets, the Book, Not the Blog
by Bill Sticker

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay, but not the best book of its kind, 14 Oct 2008
Not a bad read, but not in my view one of the better blog/diary books around. For my liking, there weren't enough stories of day-to-day interaction between the parking enforcer and the public (although perhaps there aren't that many scenarios which could be set out in a book, i.e. driver gets ticket; driver abuses person issuing ticket etc.). Worth buying though.