Profile for Martina Weitsch > Reviews

Content by Martina Weitsch

Martina Weitsch "Martina Weitsch" (Brussels, Belgium)

Page: 1 | 2
Selected Poems
Selected Poems

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 27 Nov. 2014
This review is from: Selected Poems (Kindle Edition)
Absolutely fantastic; one to dip into again and again.

Just Money: How Society Can Break the Despotic Power of Finance
Just Money: How Society Can Break the Despotic Power of Finance

5.0 out of 5 stars Very clear, insightful - everyone should read it, 21 April 2014
It is a book that explain how money works and why it's not a commodity but a social contract. If we all read and understood it, it could change the economy for the better.

In Times Like These
In Times Like These

5.0 out of 5 stars Her best yet! Read it and think., 2 Dec. 2013
I absolutely love the book. It is eloquent and erudite and alarming in equal measure. Once you've started, you won't be able to put it down. We should all read it and head the warnings.
Thank you, Maureen Duffy, for writing such a wonderful book at just the right time.

Critical Mass: V.I. Warshawski 16 (The V.I. Warshawski Series)
Critical Mass: V.I. Warshawski 16 (The V.I. Warshawski Series)

5.0 out of 5 stars It's very clever!, 13 Nov. 2013
This is a different approach from other V.I. novels; it goes into the past to illuminate the present and it demonstrates the time it takes - over generations - to go beyond past hurt. It's very engaging; a real page turner. I would very much recommend it to anyone - not just confirmed V.I. fans (among whom I count myself).

XXL LARGE Luxury Fleece Blanket Throw Throw Blue King 104x104" Bedspread or 3 Seater Throw

5.0 out of 5 stars Just what we wanted, 1 Oct. 2013
This was a purchase to keep the cat off the duvet but allow her on the bed during the day - she loves being there. She loves the fleece blanket (and got under it immediately); so in a way the purpose wasn't achieved, but the cat was happy. What more can you ask.

200% of Nothing: An Eye Opening Tour Through the Twists and Turns of Math Abuse and Innumeracy: An Eye-Opening Tour through the Twists and Turns of Math Abuse and Innumeracy

3.0 out of 5 stars Lots of it is pretty straight forward and the examples are a bit out of date, 20 Sept. 2013
I enjoyed it for what it is but it would be useful to have an updated version. Sure someone would be able to do that.

Half of a Yellow Sun
Half of a Yellow Sun

5.0 out of 5 stars Beautifully written; harrowing, 14 July 2013
I only remember the Biafra War vaguely; I was 14 when it started; I helped to set up and run a collection for the starving children in my home town.
Reading this novel brought the whole war, why it started, how it started; the awful reality of war; and the aftermath into stark focus. But the fact that the story was told through the eyes of ordinary people who had ordinary lives before the war, people who had hopes and fears; people who could see that their group was unfairly treated and who passionately believed something had to be done about it, made it absolutely riveting reading. I couldn't put it down and still, it took me quite a long time to finish it.
One moment in particular is in my mind: when one of the key characters - a middle class, educated woman who had a middle class educated life before the war - has to go to one of the stations where food rations were handed out; she was desperate for food because her child needs it. The wrenching realisation that life 'as we knew it' is no more, was just incredible.
Everyone should read it. If anyone has any doubt as to whether war is a good idea - this one will clarify once and for all: no, it isn't.

Ein Qušker-Ehepaar in Nazi-Deutschland (German Edition)
Ein Qušker-Ehepaar in Nazi-Deutschland (German Edition)

5.0 out of 5 stars A really interesting insight into the lives of two very special people, 14 May 2013
Whilst the translation of this book (the original was written in English) isn't perfect, it's a fascinating read. At this time, when we have a seemingly unstoppable drift to the right in today's politics in Britain, this book should be a must read for everyone. It reminds us how easy it is for a whole nation to be hood-winked by dangerous people. Once they have the upper hand, it may be too late.

Mens Bamboo & Organic Cotton Plain T shirt : XXL, lime green
Mens Bamboo & Organic Cotton Plain T shirt : XXL, lime green
Offered by Da Londra

5.0 out of 5 stars It's just want I wanted, 13 Mar. 2013
Very comfortable fit and the material feels almost as good a silk. I would certainly recommend this as an alternative to cotton.

Trains and Lovers: The Heart's Journey
Trains and Lovers: The Heart's Journey

4.0 out of 5 stars Very different from his other books, 21 Feb. 2013
This is very engaging but not in the mould of any of his other books. And it is not likely to lend itself to making it a series.
It's very interesting; it's very surprising in some aspects and it is an easy read. I would recommend it.

Page: 1 | 2