Profile for Ste Jay > Reviews

Kam XY Pan and Tilt Scanning Red Blue and Pink Disco Laser
Kam XY Pan and Tilt Scanning Red Blue and Pink Disco Laser
Offered by Djs-Only-Store

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent laser for a reasonable price, 6 Jan. 2015
I'm designing some open source DMX control software, and a club we use regularly has an array of these (and their sister products which vary only in laser colour) so I had seen them in action before I bought one, and bought this one both as an addition to my existing setup and as a test unit so that I could perhaps demo the DMX capability of my software to the club owner.

You get DMX control over the following:

* Which pattern (shape) to use (from 28 pre-defined patterns such as squiggly line, spiral, box, star, etc)
* Which colours to use (Red/Blue/Both/Alternating/Rolling)
* How big the pattern (shape) should be
* Where the pattern should be centred (X-Y control)
* 3D rotation of the pattern

I do have a couple of annoyances with the DMX interface:

* The X-Y control is split, with 0-127 being x-y control and 128-255 making it "cycle" - this can be very annoying
* There is no way to position the laser before you fire - you can only set the X-Y position while the laser is shining. This means it is not possible for a pattern to "jump" from one location to another, you have to have it sweep across to it. This is my biggest concern with this unit, but this will probably not be an issue for the majority of users

Other than that this is a top bit of kit, and it has definitely added to my arsenal of lighting equipment - I haven't marked it down a star for my annoyances, as I feel they're the kind of thing that would only really be a problem for someone like myself doing very complex things rather than the majority of users who will simply plug it in and go.

Arduino ISP AVR Programmer
Arduino ISP AVR Programmer
Offered by Electronic Shop Luxemburg

5.0 out of 5 stars Cool, 6 Jan. 2015
Exactly what I was looking for. USB-ISP which is ready to go for the majority of AVR-based circuits, well made and cheap enough to leave in a project if it requires reprogrammability.

10M RGB LED Strip Light Chasing Magic Dream Color Controller Remote Addressable
10M RGB LED Strip Light Chasing Magic Dream Color Controller Remote Addressable

3.0 out of 5 stars taking photos of it and sending it back to china seems like way too much trouble considering I'm using the strips ..., 6 Jan. 2015
I've got very mixed feelings about these devices.

When mine arrived, one of the two 5M strips didn't work.

I contacted the seller, but digging my camera out, taking photos of it and sending it back to china seems like way too much trouble considering I'm using the strips with my own controller and can simply cut out the faulty parts of the strip.

A friend (who owns a club) also purchased two sets of these after seeing a similar strip I bought previously, and one of his strips didn't work too after he had to get the seller to re-send the order when it was lost in the post.

For what they are and for the price they are, I'd recommend these strips, but that's as a techie/hacker/geek type who is going to do things with them other than just plug them in to look pretty -- while they are great when they work, you have to balance that against the possibility you'll get strips DOA (Dead On Arrival) or that they will get lost in the already lengthy post from China.

Hope this helps!

PULSE DMX XLR 3 Pin Terminators Black [2 Pack]
PULSE DMX XLR 3 Pin Terminators Black [2 Pack]
Offered by kenable_ltd

4.0 out of 5 stars Does what it says on the tin - Use these ..., 5 Jan. 2015
Does what it says on the tin - Use these if your DMX circuit is over 10 meters or if lights at or the end of the circuit do weird things. Simply connect it to the free socket in the last device.

DM11 DYNAMIC MICROPHONE
DM11 DYNAMIC MICROPHONE
Offered by ARMCO

4.0 out of 5 stars Four Stars, 5 Jan. 2015
This review is from: DM11 DYNAMIC MICROPHONE
Cheap and cheerful - good enough for amateur use, but I wouldn't expect professional sound quality.

img Stage Line 38.6410 LED Spotlight
img Stage Line 38.6410 LED Spotlight

2.0 out of 5 stars Unreliable, 18 Nov. 2014
Unfortunately this unit was poor right out of the box. It is difficult to describe the problems, because they crop up at random, with no warning and seemingly for no reason. The most recent problem is that the white LED seems to be stuck on - no matter what DMX I send to it, the white stays on (and any attempts to control it is ignored) while the Red, Green and Blue function normally.

Other problems have cropped up where the unit refuses to go into DMX mode & refusing for a single colour to work. At the time of writing the review I have given up on the unit and shoved it on a shelf with the white LED stuck on - as the previous problems I've had, maybe this will have fixed itself by the next time I plug it in. In any case I cannot rely on this unit to use it as a part of my lighting rig.

The plastic facia panel that covers the switches and display came off at the first touch, and was seemingly attached with pritt stick, but that I can forgive for a low-cost unit -- the lack or reliability is a deal breaker though. While I'm on the subject, the panel is located in the worst place possible, meaning you either have to stretch to reach it or put up with it shining directly into your face while you desperately struggle to try and get it to listen to DMX along with the rest of the rig.

I only give it the extra star because my father did manage to find a use for it as a simple white spotlight for a performance in an old people's home (I kid you not), so my advice would be to avoid this unit or try the identical-looking ones you can get for a fraction of the price as I strongly suspect they are the same thing.

Torch Mount For Rifle, Airsoft, Paintball 30mm x 20mm Weaver OffSet Mount
Torch Mount For Rifle, Airsoft, Paintball 30mm x 20mm Weaver OffSet Mount
Offered by HawksTech

5.0 out of 5 stars Ace, 12 May 2014
Brilliant! Strong clamp, suitable for various devices (used mine for a torch/flashlight).

Would suggest using sticky-backed neoprene rubber around devices which are a few millimeters too small; works a treat.

I love the offset position; very cool, keeps everything out of the way and still in a good position - especially good for moving torches that bit further so the barrel doesn't cast a shadow in the torches light.

NuoYa005 New Arrival 20mm weaver base Picatinny G36C Standard RIS 20mm Short Rail 3 pcs
Offered by NuoYa005

4.0 out of 5 stars Brilliant, 12 May 2014
Bolted right on to my G36 - Now I have a spotlight, torch and laser added to my rifle.

Well manufactured, good and solid.

Took an age and a half to arrive; that's the only down side.

WWK Mens Camo T Shirt Camouflage Army Combat Cotton British Military (Medium, Urban Grey)
Offered by WWK

4.0 out of 5 stars I like it, 12 May 2014
Nice t-shirt, very comfortable.

Smelled feintly of fish when I removed it from the packaging - gave it a wash before wearing and all is well with the world again.

MFH Vest MOLLE Light Woodland
MFH Vest MOLLE Light Woodland
Offered by CamoOutdoor - The Sports & Camouflage Outfitters

5.0 out of 5 stars Nice Carrier, 12 May 2014
I bought this because I wanted a plate carrier in Woodland DPM.

I have another carrier which is much thicker, bulkier and stronger -- I bought this mainly for scouting roles where a more robust carrier would affect my freedom of movement.

This is very well made, and the zip/snap front fastening makes it much easier to take off and put on. There is more space for plates than I imagined there would be, and I am currently getting aluminium plates made for it. I wouldn't want to try loading it with heavy ceramic plates though, as the netting that holds the plates in place does not look as if it is strong enough, but then as a light carrier I wouldn't have bought it if I was planning on using ceramics.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3