Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Cakes to Celebrate Love and Life
Cakes to Celebrate Love and Life
by Callie Maritz

4.0 out of 5 stars Beautiful cakes and beautiful pictures...., 3 May 2011
Part of the reason I find myself adding to my baking book collection is the beautiful pictures in them, and I wasn't disappointed in this book. The way the cakes are designed are lovely. It has a variaty of recipes that can be used for many occasions, and I found plenty of ideas within it (which says a lot considering I have about 40 books devoted to baking!).

This book is set out into sections, grouping together similar recipes so that they are easy to find. All in all I would recommend this book if you are looking for something a little different, or if you just have a slight obsession with baking like myself.

Sense and Sensibility n/e (Oxford World's Classics)
Sense and Sensibility n/e (Oxford World's Classics)
by Jane Austen

5.0 out of 5 stars Very nice..., 3 May 2011
This is one of my favourite Jane Austen books, though I like most of them I have to admit. It's a sweet read, rather like Pride and Prejudice, in the same style with the same sort of characters. I find that it has less whit than Pride and Prejudice, with a lot of the characters being on the silly side, and unlike some of Austen's other books the smaller characters in Sense and Sensibility seem under-developed. If you enjoy this genre though I do think you will enjoy this book, it is a good read.

My Cousin Rachel (VMC)
My Cousin Rachel (VMC)
by Daphne Du Maurier

5.0 out of 5 stars Hidden depths..., 3 May 2011
This review is from: My Cousin Rachel (VMC) (Paperback)
I really enjoyed this book, and Rebecca is one of my all time favourite books.

I found that in first reading you get hooked on the books, and wish to read on. Du Maurier builds up the suspense in this book and it keeps going until the climax. I found that the characters were well written, but that the interpretation of them wasn't set - on a second reading I found my opions changing of them and it definatly leaves you wondering.

I would completely recommend this book if you are into chilling, exciting and stories that are full of suspense.

Beau Brummell
Beau Brummell
by Ian Kelly

5.0 out of 5 stars An Insight into Brummells World, 3 May 2011
This review is from: Beau Brummell (Paperback)
The book is not only a biography of the life of a man who could be called the first celebratly, but is also filled with insights into the world he inhabited. Kelly lets the people of Brummell's world, and the man himself, talk for themselves and in doing so lets us see the "Regency" world in all its glory. An excellant book that I would recommend absolutly.

The Talisman Ring
The Talisman Ring

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourite Heyers, 19 Jan. 2011
This review is from: The Talisman Ring (Paperback)
I really loved this book, and moreover so did my fiance! I think he liked it because it wasn't just a romance, it has a nice little adventure thrown in. Again it's full of Heyers wit and great characterisation, a must have!

Late Victorian Gothic Tales (Oxford World's Classics)
Late Victorian Gothic Tales (Oxford World's Classics)
by Roger Luckhurst

4.0 out of 5 stars A chocolate box of gothic tales, 19 Jan. 2011
As I said this is a chocolate box of gothic tales, some are good (think Oscar Wilde's "Lord Arthur Saville's Crimes") and some not so good (think Rudyard Kipling). But I would recommend this book to anyone who has a like of Victorian Horror Stories.

Byron: Life and Legend
Byron: Life and Legend
by Fiona MacCarthy

5.0 out of 5 stars An insightful biography, 19 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Byron: Life and Legend (Paperback)
This is a book that gives a real insight into the background and life of a man that fascinated and, more often than not, shocked and captivated the people of his time and continues to fascinate now. I only became interested in Byron after developing an interest into the regency and regency literature - and you can't study that period without hearing Byron's name mentioned many, many times. This book is a really brilliant chronical of a man who was known for his troubled family life and his poetry, I would recommend this 100%.

An Infamous Army
An Infamous Army

4.0 out of 5 stars Another great Heyer, but..., 19 Jan. 2011
This review is from: An Infamous Army (Paperback)
Again another brilliant Heyer book, my only criticism is that, unlike most of her other novels, this one is rather heavy going. I think that is probably just me though because though I did study history I rather prefer the books I take to bed to be light reading and not overly braing-taxing! I did enjoy this book though when I finally got into it, but not quite as much as I did some of her others - it was nice to see the return of a few old characters though!

Frederica
Frederica

5.0 out of 5 stars One of my favourites..., 19 Jan. 2011
This review is from: Frederica (Paperback)
This has to be one of my favourite Heyer novels, right up there with Venetia. Heyer has filled this with some of her greatest characters, and I don't think anyone can help really liking Fredrica herself, or laughing at Charis and Endymion. I would definatly recommend this book to any Heyer fan, or even someone who hasn't yet stepped into the world of Heyer's regency novels.

A Simples Life: The Life and Times of Aleksandr Orlov
A Simples Life: The Life and Times of Aleksandr Orlov
by Aleksandr Orlov

4.0 out of 5 stars A little giggle..., 19 Jan. 2011
I bought this for my fiance for Christmas as a little stocking filler, he loved it, and then insisted I read it. Ok, so it isn't a great novel, but some bits of it really make you laugh out loud and you can definatly here it in Alaksandr's voice. If you want a light read (and it won't take you very long) then I would get it.

Oh, and hats off to the creator of the [...] add campaign, they have done really well.

Page: 1 | 2