Profile for Avid Cyclist > Reviews

Page: 1 | 2
The Tokyo Express
The Tokyo Express

5.0 out of 5 stars An immersive and enjoyable read, 3 Mar. 2015
This review is from: The Tokyo Express (Kindle Edition)
I greatly enjoyed reading "Tokyo Express". The writer weaves a bi-cultural and cross-generational tale with panache. The plot comes to a satisfying and unexpected resolution, terrific writing.

Just After the Fall (From the tChip of EJO Book 3)
Just After the Fall (From the tChip of EJO Book 3)

5.0 out of 5 stars Great tale!, 18 May 2014
I don't often give 5 stars, but this was a very good read. I was totally there and could imagine each scene with ease. The writing was vivid and the plot was clever. It was a page turner and it made me think in new ways. The whole story stitched together beautifully and even though it was part of a series, I didn't feel lost with the story. I'd recommend it for a read, especially if you are into Sci Fi, religion or politics.

Frankenstein
Frankenstein

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic tale, but plot holes abound, 17 May 2014
This review is from: Frankenstein (Kindle Edition)
Classic tale, but full of obvious plot holes. Beautifully written, but overwritten at times and underwritten at plot twists that were more critical. I often missed what just occurred and had to re-read passages.

Heart of Darkness
Heart of Darkness

1.0 out of 5 stars Mercifully short, 9 April 2014
This review is from: Heart of Darkness (Kindle Edition)
This is a commentary on many of the evils of the world: colonisation, exploitation and racism. But, it was a drudgery to read, the plot was thin and tediously slow. I was wishing an arrow might reach Marlow and end his flow of conscience ramble. I hated this book. It contains beautiful words and language, but the structure is awful.

Treasure Island
Treasure Island

5.0 out of 5 stars Adventure writing at its best, 8 April 2014
This review is from: Treasure Island (Kindle Edition)
I loved reading the book that has inspired so many others and films besides. Masterfully written and I have learned many a seafaring term in the process.

The War of the Worlds
The War of the Worlds

4.0 out of 5 stars Classic!, 3 April 2014
Short but gripping read. An influential classic of sci-fi it is a must read for those interested in the future of our quest into outer space.

Dracula
Dracula

5.0 out of 5 stars A must read, 31 Mar. 2014
This review is from: Dracula (Kindle Edition)
I loved the multiple narrator perspectives that kept the story fresh all the way through. This is a more thoughtful treatment of the subject than many of the movies and books that have followed in its wake. It feels very modern, especially with references to a Kodak camera. There is so much to get from this book even though it deals with superstition: psychology, good vs evil, the nature of human beings etc. Read it - it is worth the phrase!

Crime and Punishment
Crime and Punishment

4.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking, 20 Mar. 2014
A very long book, a bit repetitive, but thought provoking. A look into the mind of the guilty expertly unpacked.

For The Night (Luna Book 1)
For The Night (Luna Book 1)

5.0 out of 5 stars This story rocks!, 9 Mar. 2014
I read it with audio narration and I loved it. I never quite got how Tobias didn't recognise Luna's alter ego, a bit like the Clark Kent/Superman thing; it felt like a gaping plot hole, but that didn't matter, the story and how it was written rocked. It was a real page turner and I raced through it. It really cuts to the chase, the description is fantastic and the plot carries you along. The characters felt real and their back stories believable.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Mar 9, 2014 12:40 PM GMT

The Man Who Cycled the Americas
The Man Who Cycled the Americas

4.0 out of 5 stars A good read, 8 Mar. 2014
I enjoyed this book. With any adventure, there is invariably some deviation from the original plan and this was no exception. I'm glad Mark took greater time out to meet people, as I think this makes for a better story. After the last mountain climb, there was bound to be something of an anti-climax, but Mark's determination to complete the journey is what real adventure is made of.

Page: 1 | 2