Profile for D. Currie > Reviews

Silverline 380981 Open Ended Spanner 30/32mm
Silverline 380981 Open Ended Spanner 30/32mm
Price: 2.99

4.0 out of 5 stars OK for job, 2 Aug 2014
It's a spanner...I got it for connecting gas bottles and it does the job...

Foundations and Concrete work (For Pros, by Pros)
Foundations and Concrete work (For Pros, by Pros)
by Editors of Fine Homebuilding
Price: 14.61

4.0 out of 5 stars Very informative, 2 Aug 2014
Plenty of useful info for anyone tackling a major project using concrete.

Griffin Slim Folio GENUINE Real Leather Case Cover Wallet with Flip Multi Position Stand for Apple iPad Mini 1st Generation & New iPad Mini 2 with Retina Display. Full Front & Back Protection. (Black Textured Leather)
Offered by iZilla
Price: 29.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Good value, 2 Aug 2014
Excellent product for the price paid (under 4 order add on). Purchased for mk2 mini retina model and all necessary cutouts inplace.

Kosnic Energy Saving GU10 Led Lamp 6w Warm White/830/3000K 60 degree Angle 50w Light Output 4 Led Lamp PROMOTION PRICE 8.99
Offered by What Watt?
Price: 6.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Bright and good spread of light, 26 Feb 2014
Happy with these 6w LEDs as they are bright and give a good spread of light fitted into standard GU10 downlights. However, whether they will last an average of 35,000 hours remains to be seen!!

These are not the cheapest 6w LED on the market so only time will tell if the extra money I've spent proves worthwhile. Assuming they are used for 5x7x52 then expect a further comment in around 19 years...unless, of course one fails :)

Satina Chrome 5 Tier Large Shower Caddy
Satina Chrome 5 Tier Large Shower Caddy
Offered by Norwood Trading Ltd
Price: 34.85

3.0 out of 5 stars OK. However watch out for bent shelves..., 12 Dec 2013
This item is OK for the price. Mine arrived with the bottom shelf bent due - I believe - to poor packaging. If this was a one-off incident I might have given the caddy another star. However, there have been other reports of units arriving with damaged shelves - and yet it appears nothing's been done by the supplier to prevent such damage. Of course the shelves could have been bent whilst enroute from the manufacturers. Either way such damage means disappointment for the customer...

Oki C301DN A4 Colour Laser Printer
Oki C301DN A4 Colour Laser Printer
Offered by Printerland
Price: 145.10

4.0 out of 5 stars Good printer but one toner ran out, 29 Aug 2013
I like the printer. Solid build. Handles both paper and card well and duplex is handy for quick double-sided printing. The only downside is that the printer is supplied with small toner units. My cyan unit ran out within 350 pages. Oki replacement toner - which has a higher capacity than those supplied with the machine - is quite expensive. However, there are alternatives available from third party suppliers. The cyan T.P. unit I bought as a replacement works OK...

The Avalanche Handbook
The Avalanche Handbook
by David McClung
Price: 15.25

4.0 out of 5 stars All You Need to Know!, 16 Feb 2013
This review is from: The Avalanche Handbook (Paperback)
If you want a definitive book on the subject...buy this and you won't be disappointed! Just try not to bore your friends with the wealth of info contained within...

Chalky White's, the 7 Secrets of Skiing: A Proven Systematic Route Into the World of Advanced Skiing
by Chalky White

3.0 out of 5 stars Great info...but convoluted writing style makes extracting the 'secrets' harder than it need be..., 14 Feb 2013
I've been skiing for many years. However, there's always room for improvement - in a holiday skier - so after a great deal of reseach I decided to buy an up-to-date 'how to ski' book.

During my research I came across Chalky's book on Amazon's US site. I found just a couple of critical review for Chalky's book. One was so pompous I felt I had to defend Chalky and posted the following:

I've just ordered this book. As a journalist, by trade, I'm not expecting the author to be the master of syntax. I've been skiing for over 30 years...and although I can ski any terrain I know there's still plenty of room for improvement. So, I will forgive Chalky if his writing isn't up to Tolstoy's standard...as long as he forgives me for not reaching his standard of skiing - despite 30 years' worth of effort trying to master the white stuff.
p.s. Would I be right in thinking the two 66-year-old ("educated" sic) reviewers are retired schoolteachers?

AS THE PRINTED BOOK WAS UNAVILABLE ON AMAZON UK I HAD TO PAY 40 - ELSEWHERE - FOR MY COPY. IT'S A LOT, I KNOW, BUT NOT WHEN COMPARED WITH HIRING A SKI INSTRUCTOR FOR AN HOUR'S ONE-TO-ONE. WELL, IT MADE SENSE TO ME! HOWEVER, HAVING NOW READ THE BOOK I HAVE JUST POSTED THE FOLLOWING REVIEW ON THE US SITE:

Having written a comment prior to reading the book - I would now like to apologise to reviewer RLP for my disparaging, personal, comments.

After buying a (printed) copy I can confirm that this is a very poorly written book. That's not C.W.'s fault ...unless he refused the services of a sub-editor.

The communication of key facts is lost in long-winded meandering sentences. I don't doubt C.W.'s knowledge and skills in teaching people to ski. However, he's received poor support/advice from his publisher as it's his personality that prevails throughout the copy - not the ski advice.

It's a classic case of where the author's overwritten due to lack of experience. Simple as that. However, a good sub-editor could (and should) transform this book - by sifting out C.W.'s 'golden nugget' secrets from amongst the spoil heap of excessive words...

What's needed by today's skier (in my opinion!) is a pocket-sized concise version of Chalky's book - plus a DVD linked to specific chapters...and we'd have the Holy Grail of : Learn to Ski guides.

TO SUM UP. READING THIS BOOK IS A BIT LIKE LEARNING TO SKI. YOU NEED TO PERSEVERE - BE PREPARED TO WADE THROUGH PAGES OF UNNECESSARY SENTENCES - AND YOU WILL LEARN CHALKY'S 7 SECRETS TO BECOMING A BETTER SKIER...FROM A LEGEND IN THE SKI INSTRUCTORS' WORLD.
Comment Comments (9) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 19, 2013 1:33 PM GMT

Skiing Skills #4: Off Piste & Freeride [DVD]
Skiing Skills #4: Off Piste & Freeride [DVD]
Price: 19.99

3.0 out of 5 stars OK...but COULD have been SO much better..., 18 Jan 2013
I bought the Off Piste & Freeride DVD...based on a review of the 'box set'...which gave the DVDs a glowing review based on camera skills and content.Unfortunately, after buying the 'Off-Piste DVD' I have to say that - as a BBC trained cameraman - I found the camera work rather amateurish; editing so-so.And there are a few continuity issues thrown in for good luck. So, what about the content?

Well, if like me you are buying the DVD to improve your off-piste ski technique then be prepared for around 50% of 'padding' - from the presenter - and you won't be disappointed!

As the expert Sean Langmuir offers clear, positive advice. Unfortunately, there's just not enough of it. If he'd been allowed - as the expert - to present straight to camera (as if speaking directly to his pupil) then he could have delivered the content without any dilution. However, for some strange reason he's forced to present his advice via a third party...Peter Hart. Why?

Every time I'm skiing I see people like amateur Peter Hart. No problem. But I don't study them in order to see how I can improve. Instead I watch the experts. So, why would I want to waste time on a self-help DVD watching him ski? And there's worse to come...as you are forced to listen to his inane ramblings - which IN MY OPINION add NO value to the DVD.

On this particular DVD you will see Sean performing effortless turns through the powder, crud etc. It's a real Master Class and he delivers easy to understand, sound advice. But, Sean isn't given a great deal of time to present to camera. As for some reason P.H. hogs the camera for his droning narrative...

Then we see Amanda Pirie. Great skier on piste...but off-piste she switches to muscle-draining jump turns (usually reserved for couloirs these days?) - which reminded me of off-piste skiers from Ali Ross' days. Maybe, her turns look rather laboured simply because Sean skis with effortless fluid efficiency - without the need to do the high jump at every turn!

I paid 14 for this video and think it's worth a tenner of anyone's money. But for 20 it's way overpriced. Given all the various companies' logos everywhere on the DVD's cover I think this would be best given away as a freebie - or sold to you for a fiver by your BASI instructor!

A Practical Manual of Beekeeping: How to Keep Bees and Develop Your Full Potential as an Apiarist
by David Cramp
Price: 10.49

4.0 out of 5 stars Sound step by step practical advice..., 15 Aug 2010
Comprehensive coverage of most aspects of bee keeping. Written in a laid-back style, without dogma, yet set out in a logical format.

I would recommend as an excellent reference book for beginners. Those keen to expand their apiary or simply gain a refreshingly different perspective on the subject - which generates more personal opinions than you can shake a stick at - would also benefit!

Page: 1 | 2