Profile for R. Wiley > Reviews

Wenger GA-7357-02 Carbon 17 Inch Mac Backpack - Black
Wenger GA-7357-02 Carbon 17 Inch Mac Backpack - Black
Price: 61.06

5.0 out of 5 stars Five Stars, 3 Aug 2014
This is a very sturdy backpack and should serve all my requirements. What's more it looks good too.

Pure Mathematics 1 (International) (Cambridge International Examinations)
Pure Mathematics 1 (International) (Cambridge International Examinations)
by Hugh Neill
Price: 13.24

1.0 out of 5 stars Avoid if possible, 2 Feb 2013
This book, along with it's sister books P2&3, M1, S1 etc are aimed at the CIE. My present job is teaching A level maths in China to Chinese students to whom English is an additional language. The approach of this book is far from international. It takes no account of the fact that many of it's readers will not be native English speakers. I have no choice but to use this book, as the school has already purchased it for the students. This together with the fact that there are few textbooks aimed specifically at CIE are the only reasons for using them. The CIE syllabus differs in a number of respects from UK based syllabi so a good textbook is needed. The language for a non speaking student is tortuous. The explanations are cumbersome and often unnecessary. I know it is good to have proofs etc but proofs per se are not examined at A level and the students can (and do) get bogged down with following the often poorly explained proofs presented here and miss the important points. There seems little logic in the order of the chapters, for example the chapters on differentiation are interspersed with unrelated topics. I find myself jumping form one chapter to another much later in the book, then back again. As previous reviewers have stated there are lots of mistakes in the examples and the answers, which is unacceptable considering the book is now in its second or later edition. The answers at the back are minimal, where a question asks for a diagram or sketch none is given and of course where the question is a proof or "show that" type, there is no response at all, which is of no use to students who self study. If, like me you have a job to do within a very short timescale (the international exams are held in early May) I would avoid this book and the others in the series. P2&3 is worse! Shop around there are much better books available. I can not recommend this book at all either for a class textbook or if you are studying alone.

Celibidache Edition - Bruckner
Celibidache Edition - Bruckner
Price: 34.50

4.0 out of 5 stars very personal and great interpretations, 14 Aug 2012
As a lover of Bruckner symphonies I would recommend whole heartedly these recordings.
If you are a newcomer to these symphonies then these recordings are NOT for you however they represent some of the greatest of all time.

There is so much written about Celi's slow tempi, yes he is slow in symphonies 7-9 but it works! Celi knew what he was doing and it is wonderful. There are many reviews about these symphonies and I don't want or need to add to them, suffice to say that for the money buy this set if only for symphonies 3,4 and 6. Number 3 is glorious in every way, the brass section is particularly wonderful. Number 4 is the greatest performance of a Bruckner symphony you will ever hear. When I first heard this I wondered if I ever knew the work!! The coda to the last movement is awesome indeed.

Symphony 5 is wonderful, the slow movement particularly is glorious. So often this symphony can sound four square but not in Celi's hands. It is not slow and is one of the best performances available. Number 6 is a rival to the great Klemperer recording. You need both I think. Celi is at his best in the slow movement - so gorgeous. It is in every way the equal of Klemperer except the last movement where Celi is a tad under par to my ears.

Enough has been said about symphonies 7 - 9 suffice for me to say I really enjoy listening to them. Comparisons are irrelevant and invidious. You love or hate these and I love them, Celi's interpretations work! Very serene, timeless. No-one else could ever bring off performances such as these. When I listen to them I wonder how they could be played any differently. That is the mark of great performances. These are live performances - I doubt any conductor these days would be brave enough to see into Bruckner's soul like Celi did.

In short - an absolute must buy if only for number 4, there is not a performance that goes anywhere near it!

Logia: Or Sayings of the Master
Logia: Or Sayings of the Master
by John Todd Ferrier
Price: 12.58

5.0 out of 5 stars The most important book you may read, 5 Feb 2012
It is not for me or anyone to comment on Our Friend's work, suffice to say if you are ready you will appreciate this book.

A Mysterious Disappearance
A Mysterious Disappearance
Price: 0.00

4.0 out of 5 stars Perfect bedtime reading, 24 Jan 2012
This is a delightful Victorian mystery, very easy to read and relaxing. I enjoyed it very much. I didn't guess the ending and there are some convincing "red herrings". A note about the kindle edition, it is fantastic value being free but I wonder about some of the American spellings seeing as it was written by a North Country Englishman!

The Brave Japanese
The Brave Japanese
Price: 0.77

5.0 out of 5 stars An amazing experience, 24 Jan 2012
I was attracted to this book partly because of my own father's experience fighting the Japanese on the front line, albeit in Burma. It is a remarkable book and I have nothing but admiration for such brave people as Harrison Snr and his comrades who surely went through a living hell. What is also admirable is his attitude towards his captors and the Japanese in general. It is to his great credit that he held no grudge, I can't imagine how difficult that must be. He really is an inspiration, he set aside his personal experiences and could view the nation objectively, such people are rare and should be treasured. A word on the kindle edition. I can't criticise too much because it is so cheap but the photographs are poor and difficult to see and also interrupt the text often mid sentence. However, that is a minor consideration and doesn't detract from what is a "must read".

Secondary Selection Portfolio: Verbal Reasoning Practice Papers (Standard Version) Pack 1
by Lionel Athey
Edition: Loose Leaf
Price: 6.50

5.0 out of 5 stars Simply the best out there, 14 Jan 2012
There are lots of 11+ practice papers on the market, spoilt for choice often. So, chose this one and any of the others published by Athey Educational. The questions are spot on and extremely good practice. As if this weren't enough the price is very competitive. Definitely recommended.

Breaking Bad: Season 1 [DVD] [2008] [2009]
Breaking Bad: Season 1 [DVD] [2008] [2009]
Offered by Sent2u
Price: 10.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Very more-ish, 3 Nov 2011
I wasn't too keen on the first few episodes but it grew on me and by the end of the series I really wanted to watch series 2. Series 2 is much better than series 1 and series 3 is better still, in fact that is outstanding. I can't wait to watch series 4!!

Advanced Maths for AQA: Decision Maths D1
Advanced Maths for AQA: Decision Maths D1
by Brian Jefferson
Price: 15.99

3.0 out of 5 stars good for exercises not for explanation, 19 Feb 2010
Like most of this series, this is a good book for extra resources, exercises etc but short on explanation. If you want to learn from this book then forget it, try a different series. It does, however, reflect the AQA syllabus very well

Bruckner: Symphony No.8
Bruckner: Symphony No.8
Offered by nagiry
Price: 5.55

5.0 out of 5 stars in a class of its own, 31 Dec 2009
This review is from: Bruckner: Symphony No.8 (Audio CD)
This simply has to be the greatest recording of Bruckner 8 ever. Not a note out of place and the slow movement is out of this world. My only slight niggle is that the finale lacks the power of Karajan's earlier recordings but that is a very small concession. If you have your doubts about Bruckner, listen to this - it will change your mind I am sure!!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Oct 13, 2012 3:44 PM BST