Profile for lizmag > Reviews

lizmag

Dark Places
Dark Places

3.0 out of 5 stars Indeed dark and a bit dirty, 13 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Dark Places (Kindle Edition)
I gave this book three stars because I honestly couldn't put it down, but I had to skip some pages because it was just revolting. I suppose anything that hinges around a murder of several people and its aftermath is going to be far from joyful but I wanted just a little glimpse of something other then darkness and horror. Thinking back on it, I rather wish I hadn't read it, but it is yuckily compulsive. If you don't like going to dark places in the human psyche, don't read this.

Game Control
Game Control

5.0 out of 5 stars Thought provoking, 23 Aug. 2013
This review is from: Game Control (Kindle Edition)
What I found most interesting about this book were the wildly politically incorrect opinions voiced by Calvin. Is this the reason it went out of print? Population growth is clearly a thorny issue and the conflicting standpoints were extremely well depicted - I was also fascinated to see that Dan Brown has picked up on the theme in his latest novel, Inferno. In my view, he does it rather less well than Lionel Shriver.

Life After Life
Life After Life

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent, 3 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Life After Life (Kindle Edition)
This is an extremely thought-provoking book which made me exclaim out loud several times as I was reading it - either from surprise, dread or the ever-present undercurrent of déjà-vu. It seems to embody such a sense of might-have been, if only... and explores very adroitly indeed how we are fashioned by our circumstances. I loved it and have been singing its praises far and wide.

The Mistake
The Mistake

2.0 out of 5 stars More of the same, 18 April 2013
This review is from: The Mistake (Kindle Edition)
I think I must have read too many of Mr Kennedy's books as I had a very pronounced feeling of déjà vu when I read this story. Highly clever people recovering, more or less, from fractured relationships - in Paris, where else? There were also a lot of typos which added to my frustration - I'd really love him to write something about M. or Madame Tout-le-monde, a more everyday tale of everyday folk. But it was free!

Leaving the World
Leaving the World
by Douglas Kennedy

3.0 out of 5 stars A bit of a letdown, 9 Aug. 2012
This review is from: Leaving the World (Hardcover)
I've just finished this book and was quite relieved to get to the end of it which was a pity as I've liked all the other DK books I've read. Jane just seemed a profoundly exasperating character - no doubt she was highly intelligent (one was constantly reminded of how erudite she was by all the literary references), but there seemed to be an underlying judgemental tone what with the deeply irritating references to 'third-rate universities' and less able students. Jane might be a highly qualified blue-stocking type and was rewarded for her intellectual prowess with job after job falling into her lap - but that doesn't make for a good read.

In short I didn't like Jane and found the various parts of the book rather dislocated from each other. It was almost as if she'd been reincarnated in each section - mistress, academic, librarian, detective... - but most irritatingly always came back as the same person, albeit dressed in different clothes.

I will read more of DK and adored The Woman in the Fifth and State of the Union. But this, in my view, is far from his best.

State Of The Union
State Of The Union

5.0 out of 5 stars Very readable and thought-provoking, 5 Aug. 2012
I thought this was a very good book and stayed up late to finish it. On its analysis of the human condition, its strongest point was how your actions, attitudes and beliefs in the past shape your future decisions whether in terms of politics or religion. But I was also left with a greater understanding of just how success-driven life is in the USA and how large a role the car plays in their everyday life - things we all know, of course, but in Mr Kennedy's unfolding of the everyday and the sometimes banal, he gives us Europeans a really well-written glimpse of what life, sometimes, is like on the other side of the Atlantic. It's a good read and I recommend it.