Profile for Paul ORSSICH > Reviews

Paul ORSSICH

Gubaidulina: Musical Toys; Chin: Six Piano Etudes; Ligeti: Musica Ricercata
Gubaidulina: Musical Toys; Chin: Six Piano Etudes; Ligeti: Musica Ricercata

4.0 out of 5 stars Sophisticated Toys, 14 Jun. 2013
I have always admired Gubaidulina's work, but on this CD its the "Six Piano Etudes" by Unsuk Chin that keep drawing me back.. Worth buying the album just for this.

Adam's Lament
Adam's Lament
Offered by Fulfillment Express

4.0 out of 5 stars Arvo Pärt never fails, 14 Jun. 2013
This review is from: Adam's Lament (Audio CD)
Fans of Arvo Pärt will not be disappointed. All his religion-inspired compositions express an unquestionable sincerity. "Adam's Lament" starts with the choir at full forte with minimal built up, giving anuncomfortable impression that one has started in the middle of the piece. But I keep coming back to "Beatus Petronius" (Track 2) and "L'Abbé Agathon" (Track 6) with delight.

Last Spring - Bugge Wesseltoft & Henning Kraggerud
Last Spring - Bugge Wesseltoft & Henning Kraggerud
Offered by skyvo-direct

5.0 out of 5 stars Refined chill out, 14 Jun. 2013
Bugge Wesseltoft's sensitive jazz influenced accompaniment to Henning Kraggerud is superb. The music is soft and gentle, perfect chill-out, but repeated listenings bring out the refinements. The more I listen to it, the more I like it. I urge you to try it, satisfaction guaranteed.

The Rest is Noise: Listening to the Twentieth Century
The Rest is Noise: Listening to the Twentieth Century
by Alex Ross

5.0 out of 5 stars Perfect Noise, 14 May 2013
Brilliant explanation of the origins of Modern Music, academic enough for the serious reader, light enough for the browser and full of anecdotes, historical and political context. Internet links to listen to musical clips illustrating the text. Honoured place on my bookshelf will return to it again and again

I Awake
I Awake
Offered by MasterDVD

5.0 out of 5 stars Sarah Blasko, 14 May 2013
This review is from: I Awake (Audio CD)
I bought the album after attending Sarah Blasko's concert at the Barbican. She performed 'Your oyster, your pearl' live with only her own simple piano accompaniment, there was nowhere for her voice to hide; brilliant and deeply moving. I have enjoyed repeated listening to the album. Her voice brings to mind a cross between Katie Mellua and Bats for Lashes; the full orchestral backing adds complexity. Loved the Bulgarian harmonies on track 3, reminded me of 'Les Voix Bulgares' album which came out a few years ago