Profile for Stephen DF Bailey > Reviews

Content by Stephen DF Bailey

Stephen DF Bailey (Nuneaton, UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Paris
Paris
Price: 10.42

3.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth buying if you're into this sort of thing. Nice, but not great., 10 Sep 2014
This review is from: Paris (Audio CD)
Well, it's OK, but it doesn't make you cry or make the hairs on the back of your neck stand up. Balsom chooses some nice rep, and the Guy Barker orchestra and others accompany her well.

There are some nice touches. The Piazolla pieces are beautifully arranged, but the recording sounds "over produced" to me. There is some remarkable virtuosity on show, but as a trumpet player you can't help but wonder how many takes it took for her to nail it, or whether chunks of it are spliced together by the producer). The slow stuff is nice but doesn't grab you like Chris Botti does. The Autumn Leaves track is played exactly how Eva Cassidy would play the trumpet - Balsom doesn't offer anything new to this beautiful song.

As a friend said to me yesterday, this is "Like all other Balsom albums. You listen to it twice and put it in the cupboard, never to be heard again".

This is a second attempt by a classical trumpet player at a crossover album (I refer to Hakan Hardenberger's "Both Sides Now" album from earlier this year). Both of which have some truly classy trumpet playing, but the performances lack, well as the Parisians would say, a certain "Je ne sais quoi".

Logitech 2.4 inch Harmony Touch Universal Remote Control for Home Entertainment System
Offered by Yachew LTD
Price: 95.68

5.0 out of 5 stars Super-easy to setup and use. A great product with the "ipad-effect!", 20 Feb 2013
I had been considering getting an all-in-one remote for some time, but I put it off due to the mixed reviews that I'd seen both here and elsewhere.

I believe I ended up choosing the right product. I've only had it for a few hours, but it's a superb product.

My setup is fairly complex. I have an Onkyo AV receiver, with two PVR's (one BT Vision, and one for Polish TV for the missus), a Blu-Ray player and I also use the apps / Freesat HD on my Sony TV. I watch three different sources of TV, which is a little unusual I guess.

Anyway, after following the setup guidelines, the website found all my devices' part numbers, set up the remote and I was ready to use it within 10 minutes. So far so good.

I then played with the Activities, and found I was able to simply setup activities to easily switch between all three TV sources or watch a movie really easily. (A nice feature is that you can add your own picture to an activity which appears on the remote, so I set the Polish flag for the "Watch Polish TV" activity. Nice touch.

Other nice features include:

- The "Off" switch on the remote switches everything off in one go.
- The touchscreen is easy to navigate with one hand.
- The interface is really simple. I'm sure I'll have no issues showing my mother-in-law how to watch Polish TV the next time she visits.
- By using the Menu and other keys, you can get through to those hidden features of your kit (Options, TV Guide, Picture controls - that sort of thing) using the one remote.

I've banished the four remotes that I was previously using to a shelf. It will be interesting to see how long it will be before I need to use one for some particular functionality.

My Verdict? Five Stars. It's a terrific piece of kit which is dead easy to setup, and even simpler to use. Yes it's a bit pricey, but once you use it you'll see it's worth it.

This is the sort of tech equipment that you show to the wife AFTER you've bought it! :)

Philips HD4656/22 Gloss Metal Energy Efficient Kettle, 3000 Watt, 1.7 Litre
Philips HD4656/22 Gloss Metal Energy Efficient Kettle, 3000 Watt, 1.7 Litre

3.0 out of 5 stars Good, but we had to get rid of it after 6 months, 21 Mar 2011
We loved this kettle, especially as it could be used to boil very small volumes of water rapidly - perfect for those little cups of coffee! The only negative point was that (as other reviewers state), the water level indicator is not great - in anything other than very good light you can struggle to see the level. No biggy for us.

Sadly, we had to dispose of our kettle as the plastic hinge that fixes the lid to the unit corroded. We didn't even move it that much - it's easy to fill this kettle without moving the lid.

A disappointing fault with what is otherwise a good product.

Haydn; Hummel; Neruda; Albinoni - Trumpet Concertos
Haydn; Hummel; Neruda; Albinoni - Trumpet Concertos
Price: 12.87

4.0 out of 5 stars Stephen Bailey, 2 April 2008
This is a great début CD by this young Norwegian trumpeteress. There may be better recordings of each of these concerti out there, (most notably Hardenberger's Albinoni, Edward Tarr's Hummel, Niklas Eklund's Neruda, Reinhold Friedrich's Haydn), but Helseth stamps her own individual approach to each of these pieces, and does a great job on each one. Her playing style is very fluid and she clearly has a stunning technique and a lovely tone (if a little heavy on the vibrato at times).

One small disappointment is that Helseth chooses to use the publisher's cadenza in the Neruda, rather than writing her own, but she plays David Hickman's cadenza with a vibrant and fresh approach.

A very worthwhile addition to any trumpet player's CD collection.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 16, 2009 8:07 AM GMT

Bach/Telemann: Works for Recorder and Strings
Bach/Telemann: Works for Recorder and Strings
Price: 15.98

5.0 out of 5 stars The best Brandenburg 2 recording ever!, 18 Jan 2007
This recording is terrific - superb playing throughout by both the soloists and the orchestra.

For me the highlight of this recording is the recording of the second Brandenburg Concerto, which is just flawless. Particular mention must go to Reinhold Friedrich - the German trumpet god - for his incredible performance of the infamously difficult trumpet part. He makes it sound so easy!

Trumpet players should buy this CD for the Brandenburg - all other normal people should buy it because it's just a cracking Bach CD.

Brandenburg Concertos [DVD]
Brandenburg Concertos [DVD]
Dvd ~ Freiburger Barockorchester

5.0 out of 5 stars Top Class Music, performed in Top Class Style, 13 Sep 2004
This review is from: Brandenburg Concertos [DVD] (DVD)
There's no doubt that the Brandenburg concertos are monumental works for so many reasons. For the listener, one could listen to each of these concerti consecutively and not get remotely bored due to the broad contrast in their styles in instrumentation.
There are many excellent and even more average recordings of these concerti. This is the first time I've seen them on DVD and what a fantastic edition!
The Freiburger Barockorchester have some fabulous musicians around the stand. Some of them have some fairly questionable haircuts (especially one of the Double Bass players)but that kind of adds to the fun.
All of the tempi in these performances are bright and brisk, as they should be. The slow movements don't dwell too much and the virtuoso soloists are given their chance to shine but without stealing all of the limelight, exactly as you would expect from such a high quality orchestra.
Further to this, if you're a trumpet player, I must especially recommend that you buy this recording just to see Friedemann Immer's awesome rendition of the 2nd Concerto. Try watching it without your jaw hitting the floor!

Mastrad ORKA Miracle Mitt Blue Silicone (discontinued by manufacturer)
Mastrad ORKA Miracle Mitt Blue Silicone (discontinued by manufacturer)

4.0 out of 5 stars Top Glove!, 17 Aug 2004
This item may look a bit daft but it really does the trick. I can see why some reviewers would find the glove quite awkward to use if you have small hands (my missus has such issues) but for the average bloke it works fine.
Copes admirably with all temperatures and is very easily cleaned. It even comes with a tag so that you can hang it over a cupboard door handle for easy grabbing!
Highly recommended product!

No Title Available

5.0 out of 5 stars Just awesome, 20 Aug 2002
I listen to this album a lot... there's always something new to find on it. It's very difficult to listen to it without getting ever so slightly emotional.
I'd never have thought that anyone but Satchmo could sing "what a wonderful world"... what a woman!

Offered by Direct Entertainment UK
Price: 12.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Missing bar?, 20 Nov 2001
This review is from: Bach Christmas Oratorio (Audio CD)
Ladies and Gentlemen,
If you are a fan of Bach cantatas I can heartily recommend this particular CD of the Christmas Oratorio. The intonation of The Sixteen is really first class, and the orchestra is suitably complimentary. Even the brass section is subtle in texture, which is more than can be said of other recordings. Truly a delight, and the B Minor mass recording, (also available from this site) is a must at under ten quid, but one thing frustrates me...
There's a bar missing! (Bar 8 I believe) In the opening few bars the first trumpet misses his chance to complete the canonic opening fanfare and the woodwind continue the passage as if nothing's wrong! A massive error for a producer to make at the very beginning of the work... shocking!
I recall a recording of the 2nd Brandenburg concerto on the Philips label having a simalar error, but this time the bar was duplicated, and the uninitiated would not have noticed...
Still, once you get over this issue, the recording is, as I say, quite superb in it's refinement and dignity, a must for any officianado of the great man..!

Offered by Direct Entertainment UK
Price: 12.99

3.0 out of 5 stars Missing bar?, 20 Nov 2001
This review is from: Bach Christmas Oratorio (Audio CD)
Ladies and Gentlemen,
If you are a fan of Bach cantatas I can heartily recommend this particular CD of the Christmas Oratorio. The intonation of The Sixteen is really first class, and the orchestra is suitably complimentary. Even the brass section is subtle in texture, which is more than can be said of other recordings. Truly a delight, and the B Minor mass recording, (also available from this site) is a must, but one thing frustrates me...
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Dec 2, 2009 3:16 AM GMT