Profile for Kevin Long > Reviews

Content by Kevin Long

Kevin Long "kevin_cambs_uk" (England)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5
Meguiar's Ultimate Wash and Wax
Meguiar's Ultimate Wash and Wax

5.0 out of 5 stars Quality, 18 Feb. 2012
I have used Meguiars Gold Class Shampoo for over 5 and a half years. One bottle at 15 quid lasted all this time.
time for a change so I decided on new Ultimate Wash and Wax, but I never thought it would be better than Gold Class, but it simply is.

Superbly rich suds that don't evaporate straight away and very very good at removing the dirt.

The finish after is better as well, the water runs off so well and leaves a fantastic shine, that's got wax protection in it.

I love my car and this bottle will last a few years. So at that rate it offers superb value for money.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 18, 2016 11:03 AM GMT

Airfix A50059 Royal Navy HMS Illustrious 1:350 Scale Plastic Model Gift Set
Airfix A50059 Royal Navy HMS Illustrious 1:350 Scale Plastic Model Gift Set

4.0 out of 5 stars A good kit, 28 Jan. 2012
My brother bought this kit, but he does not make models!. He was in the Navy, I was not but I do build model kits, have been over 30 years.

The first thing is that its brilliant to be able to build a kit of a modern British Aircraft Carrier, all too often manufacturers dedicate themselves to modern American Naval craft or we get stuck with British WW2 craft, but this is where Airfix are to be applauded for finally bringing one of our great ships to kit form, all they need to do now is re model it slightly for the Ark Royal.

The kit is good, not great. Firstly throw away the paints, they are neither use no ornament, too fiddly, not enough of the main colours and do not applicate very well, so get proper enamel paints instead. Its very nicely detailed, but for me has some small gripes, mainly to do with the hull construction due to it being a waterline kit. A great idea, but the hull parts do not properly fit, especially at the stern of the ship. Filler is required to get a better fit. Overall construction is good, the instructions are okay but dull, it would be nice if they could explain exactly what it is your sticking on the model.

The superstructure goes together well, again the fit near the bridge is not great but once painted, is acceptable. Location of some parts on the sprue leave a lot to be desired, requiring very careful removal.

If you ever get the chance to build a Trumpeter or Tamiya, you will know where Airfix need to get to for the next level, the quality of parts, detail, instruction and assembly, but like I said before, its great to be able to build British modern ship.

The most outstanding feature are the decals, which truly bring the ship alive on the deck. It turns a dull model into a replica, and these are its saving grace, because once applied its just brings the ship together. It needs more planes for the deck, you only get 4 Harriers, 4 Helicopters but there is a kit you can buy for extra craft.

I am pleased to have built it and I am pleased with the finish. Certainly helps the weekend to pass by. Well done Airfix.

Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (PS3)
Star Wars: The Force Unleashed (PS3)
Offered by Bridge_Records

3.0 out of 5 stars irritating...irritating... and more irritating, 12 Jun. 2011
This game started off so well, great graphics, and your own light sabre, what more could you want?
And then it starts to go down hill....

Some of the boss battles are very, very annoying, so much so you can feel the dark side within you and you want to throw the controller out of the window.
The camera angle at times, you could spit fire its so annoying, but the load times are long, and you just get a caption of information for you to read, which when you have done the same level about 20 times because its so hard, just becomes monotonous.

Given its many faults its enjoyable, I would not pay full price, but when you get a game like this, you just think, 'the people who create these games, do they actually play them?'

They need to take a look at what Guerilla and Naughty Dog have done to see what a game should play like.

Karl Pilkington's An Idiot Abroad [DVD]
Karl Pilkington's An Idiot Abroad [DVD]
Dvd ~ Karl Pilkington
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

5.0 out of 5 stars Forget Michael Palin..., 15 May 2011
Even writing the review makes me smile.

A truly remarkable piece of television, and so funny at times you can't breath. Karl's outlook on these places he visits is so honest and also true, the way he describes places and interprets whats going on is just so funny, but for me not in an idiot sort of way, more a common sense way, I have to admit, I do think like him a little when on holiday, but I think thats just being an English man abroad. I won't give anything away as that would spoil it, but forget Michael Palin, if you want to visit these places this is the travel guide you need, and then many things will not be such a shock !

I salute you Mr Pilkington, well done mate, and please do another series!

Live At Benaroya Hall - Oct.22, 2003
Live At Benaroya Hall - Oct.22, 2003
Offered by UKMusicFiendz

5.0 out of 5 stars Sublimely Superb, 31 May 2010
As a lover of live albums by the bands that I like, Pearl Jam seem to be able to satisfy my need more than any other band, as they release just about every live concert they do, but this one surpasses all expectation.
The 3 disc Live in Mansfield was a superb album, but I prefer this to that which takes some doing.

Its not an acoustic set like, the MTV stuff, but a more intimate concert, but the tracks on it are just superb, from Man of the Hour, to the best bass line I have ever heard on Daughter.

I won't spoil it but I would say that to listen to this on your iPod or whatever would be like looking at Van Goughs 'Sunflowers' in sun glasses. This is what Hi Fi was built for, so I got mine back out the box and it was so worth the effort.

Well done Pearl Jam and keep it coming !

Riding Rockets: The Outrageous Tales of a Space Shuttle Astronaut
Riding Rockets: The Outrageous Tales of a Space Shuttle Astronaut
by R. Mike Mullane

5.0 out of 5 stars We are go for main engine start, 31 Jan. 2010
This book is simply fascinating. I am not one to read books often but this has had me hooked.

I bought In the Shadow of the Moon on Blu Ray as I have always been interested in space. I enjoyed Mike Collins and then bought and read his book Carrying the Fire. At the same time Amazon recommended this book by Mike Mullane, so I got both.

I read Carrying the Fire first as it was the one I really wanted. And I really enjoyed that, very interesting and serious about getting to the moon. Once finished I moved onto Mike Mullanes book.

I have always been a big fan of space, but not a big book reader, most has been gained by watching TV and visiting the Kennedy space Centre 7 times! I grew up with the Space Shuttle, having been born in 69 and missing the Apollo era. I distinctly remember watching STS-1 launching with John Young and Bob Crippen in her.

The book by Mike is truly fascinating. If Tim Moore ever wrote a book about going to space then this would be like that book.

There is so much humour it makes the reading of the book so enjoyable. The drive to get into space I thought was a fantastic idea but the drive that people show to fulfil that ideal is so much more than I could ever give it credit, and Mike displays this with such humour it's a joy to read.

I enjoyed being able to relate to the Shuttle as it was and still is my space era, to see it evolve and the book fills in the gap of the program, how people became Astronauts and what it took to get there. It also showed how being an Astronaut was so much fun, it enlightened me that being an Astronaut was much like any other office job to a point, you went to work, you had a laugh, did some work and came home, they just did different things, and they endured office politics. That I think is the most overwhelming thing from the book. You just expect the elite not to suffer from such things but the Astronaut selection program for getting to become the `Prime Crew' became such a superb process to read and witness as office politics affects not just everyone but NASA as well !

Then the Challenger disaster occurred and then you realise these people in order to fulfil their dream were walking the tightrope of disaster every minute on the countdown to re entry to landing. The aftermath of the disaster is really well brought home by mike and his interactions with other certain Astronauts beggars belief, and this was probably one of the biggest revelations in the book. Something you don't expect from the NASA management.

The other thing I enjoyed was the scrubbed launches and how that must have felt, which Mike goes through very well, but the main thing for me was the insight of how it all bolted together, and then watching again the `Dream is Alive' DVD about the Space Shuttle missions you see Mike and his crew on board the Shuttle, the first mission Mike flew on and then you see all his crew mates that he talked about and it gives them much more substance. To see Judy and Hank, Steve on that mission, just made it all come together.

If I ever visit Kennedy Space Centre again, I will make sure that I visit the Astronaut Hall of Fame, because after reading this book, it has made me realise that along with Mike Collins book that the feats these people did to get into space is as amazing than the technological achievements to create the Apollo moon rocket or the Space Shuttle.

If you're vaguely interested in space you will enjoy this book, if like me your are interested in space travel and the NASA stuff you won't be able to put it down.

Revealing, hilarious, dry humour and a brilliant insight in being an Astronaut, working for NASA, and the realisation that being an Astronaut has all the same problems and good and bad days at work like any other job we all do. They just work in a different space to the rest of us ...

Moon [Blu-ray] [2009] [Region Free]
Moon [Blu-ray] [2009] [Region Free]
Dvd ~ Sam Rockwell
Offered by MusicnMedia

4.0 out of 5 stars Very Very enjoyable, 11 Jan. 2010
I had no expectations of this movie, but was very pleasantly suprised at how much I enjoyed it. I am a big Sci Fi fan and found they whole movie very believeable and very enjoyable. Not a classic in the true sense like Star Wars or anything, but very worthy of a watch and recommendation.

The plot story was excellent and took me totally by suprise and I thought it was a clever film.

Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PS3)
Call of Duty: Modern Warfare 2 (PS3)
Offered by Excess Gaming

3.0 out of 5 stars Disapointed ........, 11 Nov. 2009
I have to admit I am disapointed. After the brilliance of Killzone and uncharted 2, I wondered what the hell is going on. I am a masive fan of COD4, and saw COD5 as a disaster, and yet playing COD6 reminds me thats this is more COD5 than COD4.

I am not trying to stir things up, this is my opinion, I have been waiting for this for ages, but when you play it I just think they missed the point. My biggest gripes are the emblem, which makes it difficult to read who killed you. The voices are just awful, gone are the gritty voices from COD4 of your mates going into battle, replaced by a bunch of people who sound like they are at a tea party.

The previous barracks were all set out very well etc, but I think they have taken what has worked and just added graphics for the sake of it.

Its an enjoyable game, but after 2 years I am disapointed. Graphically its not the greatest by PS3 standards when we have had games such as KZ2 and UC2, and its just not moved on. It feels more like a new map pack and thats all.

The constant accessing of the drive while you are playing multiplayer makes me think its going to destroy the machine, why can't it cache off the hard drive? and finally....

what is this migrating host rubbish when someone who is the host leaves the game? KZ2 does not do this, neither did MotorStorm !!!

I think they have basked in their glory, and missed the point at the same time. No wonder there was no demo out....Maybe this is what to expect from multi plat games, if so lets hope the XBox can somehow get some more oomph

Sorry IW but you have missed the boat in my opinion. Are you sure your not being bought out by Treyarch?

In The Shadow Of The Moon [Blu-ray]
In The Shadow Of The Moon [Blu-ray]
Dvd ~ David Sington

5.0 out of 5 stars I wish I had gone ...., 4 Nov. 2009
This is a Blu ray, and its only 6.99. Its worth buying just for that, but the story, the images and the whole documentary is superbly put together, and is a great film of the Apollo moon landings.

I think the biggest thing for me was to get to see what the crew were actually like, as I you only ever seem to see pictures of them waving or in the craft, so to get their own view of it was superb.

I was taken aback at about how much I enjoyed what Michael Collins had to say, along with Al Bean, both of whom I would like to meet the most, they were funny and yet informative.

Since getting this I bought the bok by Michael Collins Carrying the Fire, again which offers such superb insights into the Apollo program and all that it entailed. A great read and a great Blu Ray.

Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3)
Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (PS3)
Offered by IDSS

5.0 out of 5 stars How can it get any better?, 17 Oct. 2009
A superlative game on every level. The first Drakes game was excellent, and inserting the disc and getting started was like being part of a film sequel, like going to see the Empire Strikes Back after waiting 2 years.

The chracers are there, its like you know them, and can't wait to get stuck into the adventure thats going to unfold, like putting on your best slippers.

I have written some code in my time, not very well, but when I see the game mechanics running, how loading between scenes and areas is seemless, the way the gaphics interact, you get some sort of understnding of how breath takingly difficult pulling all of this together must have been.

However they have managed it, the way Porsche put together a car. Graphically its untouchable, Killzone looks almost as good, but the birds in the jungle the Nepal, derelict war torn village is so full of detail, you wonder how they come up with it all.

The water effects espcially when your characters are wet are stunning. The sounds are great too, and action is excellent, not too frustrating but very enjoyable.

Overall I could keep going on anon, but I have to carry on playing the game.

Simply put a must buy for any PS3 owner, and the lady characters are very sexy !!

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5