Profile for Evan > Reviews

Pampers S4 Giga BD - Pack of 120
Pampers S4 Giga BD - Pack of 120

5.0 out of 5 stars Great product, we like them., 7 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Great value for money and a great product! What more can I say?

There are 120 nappies inside the box which as you'll appreciate is quite a few. And it's always good to have 'quite a few' nappies about the house and in bags, and under the pram, and in my wife's handbag etc...

The nappies themselves are nice and soft and with a smell of sanitation (admit it, you've sniffed). They fit well, are elasticized around the legs and the waist is adjusted simply by sticking down the tabs where necessary. Highly recommended.

The World's Great Wonders: How they were made & why they are amazing
The World's Great Wonders: How they were made & why they are amazing
by Lonely Planet
Price: 13.59

4.0 out of 5 stars Good book, inspiring and detailed enough, 7 May 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Being a photographer and traveller, I love travel photography books. These Lonely Planet coffee table books are always appreciated when I get a chance to flip through their pages.

The book consists of many wonders from around the world as detailed in the description and some that other reviewers have covered. What I like about this book is that it doesn't go overly into the detail of each, as that's not the point of the book, it instead focus on the experiences and sights one is sure to encounter. It's basically and inspirational book.

Seeing as Lonely Planet have saturated the travel companion guide market, and given that so much is available on the net these days, for free, it's ventures like these coffee table books that will do Lonely Planet well into the future.

Lonely Planet Pocket London (Travel Guide)
Lonely Planet Pocket London (Travel Guide)
by Lonely Planet
Price: 3.99

4.0 out of 5 stars Great, most recent version (2014) of Lonely Planet's Pocket London., 7 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Like other Lonely Planet guides on the big cities in the world, this Pocket London book is updated quite regularly. The other copy I have is the 3rd edition from 2012 so that's every 1/2 to 2 years at the current rate. Probably leaving a few months before refreshing parts that need refreshing and generally updating the content to make the book appear new, then releasing again and so on.

Lonely Planet books is recent times have undergone a huge re-design. In this day and age with readily available resources online, and with the better websites, the content is far easier to navigate than in a typical book. With that in mind, Lonely Planet have undertaken a huge review and come up with a guide structure and hierarchy that borrows heavily from the web. This translates as colour coded sections, better design and implementation of summaries, highlights, sights, top tips and so on. It's far easier to scan than their older books.

I find the pocket size books that Lonely Planet are producing now are better for cities while the slightly larger guides for countries also works in this new format. It's a good way to structure their guides and makes carrying a city guide that much more do-able for a city break.

This 4th edition 2014 version of Pocket London is great, and if you're a soon-to-be visitor to London pick it up. If you're a Londoner, you'll probably prefer something a bit more in-depth than the usual tourist fayre.

Pampers Sensitive Refill Pack Giga 12 x Packs of 56 (672 Wipes) (discontinued by manufacturer)
Offered by Sapphire Fashions
Price: 21.20

3.0 out of 5 stars Decent but greasy, 6 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Decent wipes but they have a mildly greasy feel when compared with the Huggies brand wipes. Unfortunately, Huggies seem to have pulled out of the UK market so we'll be using Pampers from now on. Apart from the greasiness, they do a decent job.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Apr 25, 2014 5:10 PM BST

Men Rock Cut Throat Shavette
Men Rock Cut Throat Shavette
Offered by Gadget Grotto
Price: 8.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Not for the faint hearted, 6 April 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As cut throat razors go, this razor is fine. It holds well, the balance is good and the quality is good also.

As an inexperienced cut throat razor user, I was a little nervous at the prospect of using one but had always been intrigued by them. They look so elegant in an old fashioned kind of way, and those in the know always say they provide the closest of shaves so I was keen to get to grips with it.

I found it easy enough to insert the razor once I figured out that I needed to snap the razor in two before fitting it and I managed to do it all without slicing my fingers or hand open. It was when I came to shaving with it that I realised things were more difficult than I imagined...

I found it quit hard to get a good cut without the feeling of pulling hairs or that I was very close to slicing my face open. I had to finish the shave with a branded 3 blade safety razor. In the end, I couldn't get it right and am more comfortable using my electric shaver, or the more common disposable 2/3/4 bladed razors.

The product itself is great, it's just that I can't use a cut throat without serious risk of accident to myself.

Bosch PRR 250 ES Removing Roller
Bosch PRR 250 ES Removing Roller
Price: 88.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Quality product but potentially expensive upkeep., 5 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
As with all things Bosch the quality of this PRR 250 model sander is up there. I find them to be quite a good make and have never had cause for concern with their products.

It's quite large at approx. 40cm (a long ruler) in length. The weight is reassuringly heavy without being overweight.

Whether this sander is a good purchase or not... If you're doing small, fiddly work then it's a good option, if you're doing something much larger you'd be better off with a belt sander or some other option... If you have a lot of small, fiddly sanding to do, then this could soon add up as from looking around, the replacement sanding sleeves are quite pricey.

I've used this on some old chairs picked up in a market with lots of curvy long spoke-like detail in the backs and found it to be of good use for that.

BABYBJORN Baby Carrier One
BABYBJORN Baby Carrier One
Price: 119.00

5.0 out of 5 stars Great, can't really fault it, recommend it., 5 Mar 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
First off, ever since purchasing the baby version of this sling, as well as a rocker, my wife and I have been big fans of Babybjorn. The quality of their product build cannot be faulted and the design quality is great. Obviously they're expensive, or more so than some other brands, but the quality is worth it.

Although this model is from 0 - 3 years, I wouldn't think a new born would be very supported in it as it is so large, but most other reviewers seem ok with it.

We're using this for our son who is now 11 months old. He's getting quite heavy now so having this sling worn over the shoulders and carried on your back is much better than in our current sling which is worn on the front. With this model the weight is carried on your shoulders and back, almost keeping you upright, much like a weighty backpack. But be careful with your balance, it may take some getting used to having another few kilos off the centre of your gravity.

Colour Deconstructed
Colour Deconstructed
by Tricia Guild
Price: 20.40

3.0 out of 5 stars Not the best design/colour inspiration book I've seen, 4 Mar 2014
This review is from: Colour Deconstructed (Hardcover)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Not the best design/colour inspiration book I've seen...

The book is thick and heavy which is always nice for a coffee table book and features a not so typical book spine. It contains a good amount of pages each with a photograph of a professionally interior designed room or close up shots of various elements of a room. The problem here is that most of the photos are very same same and contain mostly uninspired colour schemes and very dull rooms, at least for me. I was disappointed.

And I think that's the let down of this book for me, I was hoping for something that could be used across the field of design, not just for interior design. I work in a design field myself though not interior design so am very familiar with colour, design and designing for emotion and interaction. Most of the rooms here are very feminine in style and there is no variation which is a shame. It would have been better to have contrasting designs side by side, rather than similar design and similar colour, page after page.

The photography is also a let down for me.

I feel that there is no real use for this book, at least for me, which is a great shame as the designer is clearly capable and good at what she does. Her style isn't to my taste, but art is subjective so I will not criticise her work itself, just this book of which I couldn't recommend.

Cuckoo!
Cuckoo!
by Fiona Roberton
Price: 5.24

4.0 out of 5 stars Great story, great illustration style, 12 Feb 2014
This review is from: Cuckoo! (Paperback)
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
A nice little story about not fitting in and the adventures of trying to find a place in the world. I personally think this is a great little book with a fantastic illustration style.

Our little boy is too young for it but we'll hang on to the book until he's older.

Highly recommended.

Case Logic FSG1103K Polycarbonate / Nylon Case for Samsung Galaxy Tab 3 10 Inches Grey
Price: 29.41

4.0 out of 5 stars Decent Galaxy case, 11 Feb 2014
Customer review from the Amazon Vine Programme (What's this?)
Not a bad case, does the trick, kind of...

However, the galaxy can work itself loose seemingly without help which isn't great or what you expect from a case.

The case lid is held in place with an elastic strap which feels cheap, especially compared to an iPads magnetic lid, but it does the trick none the less.

The case material is of good quality and feels nice. It also does a good job of protecting the galaxy.

I'd recommend this case for the price.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-18