Profile for C. Wood > Reviews

Content by C. Wood

C. Wood (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Winter of the World (The Century Trilogy Book 2)
Winter of the World (The Century Trilogy Book 2)

3.0 out of 5 stars Could do better, 18 Mar. 2015
Mr Follett always writes a good story. What stopped me giving this book five stars were the totally unnecessary sex scenes. The book would be better without them as they were clumsily handled and reduced myself and my son to uncontrollable laughter. I read this and first part of the trilogy because I had read 'Pillars of the Earth' and 'World without end', two wonderful page turners. I found this book disappointing.

The Hollow Crown: The Wars of the Roses and the Rise of the Tudors
The Hollow Crown: The Wars of the Roses and the Rise of the Tudors

5.0 out of 5 stars I hated my history lessons at school, 17 Jan. 2015
I hated my history lessons at school, having to endlessly learn and remember dates and what seemed to me many boring and unconnected facts.. I wanted to know what it felt like to live in those times.' The Hollow Crown' pulls the reader into those times and brings the history if the Plantagenets alive. I was surprised to learn that even in those turbulent times people could live civilised lives, that they were more sophisticated that I imagined.
Dan Jones's text is written more like a novel than a textbook; he has a hook at the beginning and hooks at the end of every chapter that make you want to read more. I was disappointed to finish it and wanted to read more.

Mozart;Violin Concertos 3&5
Mozart;Violin Concertos 3&5
Offered by EliteDigital UK

5.0 out of 5 stars Mozart for the soul, 8 Oct. 2014
This is an early Joshua Bell recording but is just as beautifully performed as the recordings he makes now. Joshua Bell has the ability to make music shine and the Mozart pieces are executed with an elegance that makes them delightful to listen to. The adagio stands out for me, its melody almost penetrating your soul. Even if you are not Mozart's biggest fan I would recommend the CD to you; after hearing it you might just change your mind - I did!

Prince of Thorns (The Broken Empire, Book 1)
Prince of Thorns (The Broken Empire, Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Prince of thorns much too prickly, 8 Oct. 2014
I found the book disjointed and the author much too fond of the wanderings of the main character's mind. I found it hard to like any of the characters except perhaps the Nubian who seems to be the only one with principles. As a post-apocalyptic novel it is original but then seems to add fantasy to the after effects of a nuclear war. It was a book I found easy to put down.

Blanc
Blanc

5.0 out of 5 stars Beware the heartstrings, 6 Jun. 2014
This review is from: Blanc (Audio CD)
Blanc is music to tug at your heartstrings especially when you read Angele Dubeau's story. Most of the pieces are contemporary with their composers still alive. They are bursting with melody and conjure up pictures in the mind. I particularly like her interpretation of Mark 'O' Connor's music which I already have on another CD. La Pieta brings added dimensions to the music.
My favourite track is 'The Rain'. The melody is played on violin and then taken over by cellos and in the background is the sound of gentle healing rain.
I would recommend Blanc to anyone who may dismiss modern music as tuneless and often discordant; they will be in for a wonderful surprise. Also to anyone who wants to relax in a comfortable chair and just let beautiful music flow over them.

A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 4)
A Feast for Crows (A Song of Ice and Fire, Book 4)

4.0 out of 5 stars Too many characters, 4 April 2014
Like probably millions of others I am hooked on' Game of Thrones'. However, in Book 4 I find his listing of characters who aren't part of the story somewhat tedious. If he were an aspiring writer he might be criticised for padding his story with unnecessary information. The books have enough characters as it is and these extra ones add nothing to the story. Having said all that I will not stop reading it.

The Maltese Tenor
The Maltese Tenor

5.0 out of 5 stars A delight to the ear, 30 Mar. 2014
This review is from: The Maltese Tenor (Audio CD)
It's quite difficult to listen to other tenors after you have heard the voice of Joseph Calleja. The seemingly effortless way he produces the most delicious sound lingers in your mind long after you have turned off the CD player. His voice is rich and lyrical and full of expression. I'm not opera's biggest fan but I could listen to this man's voice indefinitely.

Dvorįk: Symphonies 7, 8 & 9 - American Suite
Dvorįk: Symphonies 7, 8 & 9 - American Suite
Offered by Edealcity

5.0 out of 5 stars Dvorak, the master., 27 Sept. 2013
This is an excellent recording. The Liverpool Philharmonic does full justice to the composer who paints pictures with music. I bought it for the 'American Suite' but the three symphonies, especially the 9th are an added bonus. I would recommend it both to the listener who is a classical music buff and to the beginner who is just beginning to explore the beauties of classical music.

Catch Me If You Can
Catch Me If You Can

5.0 out of 5 stars Amy Dickson rules!, 27 Sept. 2013
This review is from: Catch Me If You Can (Audio CD)
I argue with my music teacher about saxophones and classical music. Yes, they can play classical music. Amy Dickson's tone is haunting in places. Michael Kaman's concerto on this CD is worth listening to over and over again.

Sacrifice (Detective Mark Heckenburg Book 2)
Sacrifice (Detective Mark Heckenburg Book 2)

5.0 out of 5 stars Keep going Paul Finch, 27 Sept. 2013
I've have never read a crime novel by Paul Finch before ( I have read his SF stories). The book has a slow start but speeds up quickly to give a gripping story with clever plot twists. Finch brings his characters to life and the relationships between them help to drive the plot. I found myself wanting more.

Page: 1 | 2