Profile for A. Wallis > Reviews

Content by A. Wallis

A. Wallis "vervadasz" (UK)

Eye To The Telescope [Gift Pack 2CD+DVD]
Eye To The Telescope [Gift Pack 2CD+DVD]
Offered by jim-exselecky
Price: 7.84

4.0 out of 5 stars One good song?????, 26 Sep 2008
I must admit, I'm baffled by Mr. Derek Denton's review. "The Other Side of the World" is very melodic and soulful, but it isn't even the best track on the album, let alone the only good one. It is perhaps the most commercial song, but I prefer my music to have a bit more character than that, which is why "Eye to the Telescope" satisfies. There is the balance of soulful and romantic, set against vibrant and aggressive. "Another Place to Fall" and "Black Horse and Cherry Tree" are punchy, whilst "False Alarm" and "Heal Over" are moving and personal.

For me, "Under the Weather" is the disappointment here, being a little twee and bland. So maybe a more apt caption for this album might be "one bad song".

Ash: A Secret History
Ash: A Secret History
by Mary Gentle

5.0 out of 5 stars Worth the effort, 16 Mar 2007
This review is from: Ash: A Secret History (Paperback)
It saddens me to see people calling this novel too complex. Yes, there are complexities, but we need challenging material out there to get us thinking and lead us to places we wouldn't normally be able to reach. This kind of book is an antidote to all the simplistic pulp out there that takes little or no effort, but also offers no real substance.

Ash's adventures take a bit of effort to follow, but the rewards more than outweigh the difficulties, and when you reach the end, you can feel very satisfied with what you've read.

To those who think this is a difficult read, I suggest Foucault's Pendulum, by Umberto Eco - now that really is hard work compared to what you get out of it.

The House of the Eagle (Ptolemies Quartet)
The House of the Eagle (Ptolemies Quartet)
by Duncan Sprott

4.0 out of 5 stars Intelligent and intriguing, 23 Mar 2005
This is the first Duncan Sprott book I have read, and I was quickly drawn into the intrigue. It is a story of machinations and often perverse family relations, but woven in amongst everything is some fascinating detail about social and political life in both the Egyptian and Greek worlds at the time.
The narration, by the Egyptian god Thoth, serves to add a surreal veracity to proceedings that only adds to the sense of place.
It may be a difficult book for some, though, as it is not a 'blood and thunder' style of historical novel, but has a more methodical pace. This allows for a deeper exploration of the characters and subject matter, but might feel a little slow if you're more interested in, for example, dynamic battlefield accounts.

Graceland (Remastered And Expanded)
Graceland (Remastered And Expanded)
Offered by skyvo-direct
Price: 13.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Still classic after all these years, 17 Mar 2005
I was trying to convert some of my old vinyl collection to CD when I remembered this album. Most of the time, I look back over tracks, and cringe a little at some of the things I used to listen to. Not once did I get that with this one. Every track is a diamond (albeit some rougher than others).

Days of Open Hand
Days of Open Hand
Offered by best_value_entertainment
Price: 11.95

4.0 out of 5 stars Underrated, 14 July 2003
This review is from: Days of Open Hand (Audio CD)
This is a sadly underrated album, mainly because of the "Book of Dreams" single, which sounds as if it is attempting to be popular amidst all the darker strains, and getting lost in the process. It is, as a result, the poorest track there.
The truth is that there are a lot of Suzanne's best qualities here, from the poignant 'Tired of Sleeping', to the atmospheric 'Room off the Street' (a personal favourite of mine). It can be harder work than other albums, and is probably not for the first time listener (start at the beginning!), but it is worth the effort.