Profile for Skybird > Reviews

Content by Skybird

Skybird

Page: 1 | 2
Garmin Premium Soft Strap Heart Rate Monitor for Garmin Fitness Products Including Forerunner, Edge and Vivofit

5.0 out of 5 stars Can't fault a device so perfectly suited for its single purpose., 11 Sep 2014
Excellent. Works perfectly every time. Strap is comfy, you forget you are wearing it. Syncs every time with my Garmin Edge 810, ight work with other ANT+ devices.

Garmin Edge 810 Touchscreen GPS Bike Computer
Garmin Edge 810 Touchscreen GPS Bike Computer
Offered by You Want GPS

4.0 out of 5 stars Excellent device, but default maps are useless., 11 Sep 2014
Serious about cycling? Buy this. You will need to buy decent, detailed maps -- the ones which come with the device ONLY show major motorways, nothing much else (but you can get decent GPS routing maps free on the 'net legally) which is a bit disingenuous of Garmin (hence why I docked them a star) but the GPS accuracy, weatherproof design, quick launch, ease of use, and integration with Garmin FIT / Connect and now Strava is excellent. If you ride a bike seriously, this piece of kit is awesome.

Thermaltake Urban S31 Midi Gaming Case Toolless 2 x USB3.0 HDD Dock Side Window
Thermaltake Urban S31 Midi Gaming Case Toolless 2 x USB3.0 HDD Dock Side Window

5.0 out of 5 stars Buy it - you won't regret it., 11 Sep 2014
For the money - outstanding. Had a couple of small broken parts when it arrived, small plastic clips holding on the drive bay blanking doors had snapped off in transit, but glued them back. Acrylic window easily scratches. But for sheer value for money, this case is exceptional. Huge central chamber takes a normal ATX motherboard and I fitted a big Noctua CPU air cooler, with an AMD 7970 graphics card and still had bags of room for decent cable management and plenty of airflow. Its perhaps not the best looking case, but well built and, did I mention fantastic value for money?

Muc-Off Bio Degreaser, 500 ml
Muc-Off Bio Degreaser, 500 ml
Offered by Fawkes Cycles

5.0 out of 5 stars Just Muc-Off, 11 Sep 2014
Seems to degrease very well. Plus, I get to say "Muc-Off" and it annoys the missus.

Pearl Izumi Quest Men's Bib Shorts black Size:L
Pearl Izumi Quest Men's Bib Shorts black Size:L
Offered by SingletrackBikes

5.0 out of 5 stars Great fit, great chamois, 23 Aug 2014
These are awesome, the best chamois I have ever used on a Trek Domane with a Bontrager Serano RL saddle. The large fits me like a glove, I am 5'11 and 85kg. Its light enough for high summer in the UK, but warm enough in autumn until around end September I would say, your mileage may vary.

The Fault in Our Stars
The Fault in Our Stars

3.0 out of 5 stars A few faults, a few stars, 23 Aug 2014
It's ok - I think I might have enjoyed it more as a teenager, but its quick, witty and a little sad, but I didn't find it as compelling as I had hoped. By far the most fascinating character (spoiler - the fictitious author who lives in Amsterdam) isn't in it nearly enough, and some of the situations seem a little contrived - including a strange visit to Anne Frank's home which seems out of place and unnecessary, only there to fill in time. It was enjoyable, but I think I kept reading more to find a revelation which, sadly, never arrived, rather than because I felt invested in the characters. Cracking value on Kindle though, so an extra star for that.

Atkins Endulge Milk Chocolate 30 g Low Carb Crisp Bars - 15-Pack
Atkins Endulge Milk Chocolate 30 g Low Carb Crisp Bars - 15-Pack

5.0 out of 5 stars Great for Keto, 11 Jun 2014
I have one of these each day whilst on Keto - they actually taste great, and go well with a decent filter coffee.

Y-cam HomeMonitor HD - Wi-Fi Wireless Video Monitoring Camera with Free Online Cloud Recording

3.0 out of 5 stars Good image but system has some significant drawbacks, 11 Jun 2014
I bought this camera around a month ago, and have now had a good chance to test in in various rooms throughout my house, and pointing outside both through glass and through an open window.

Overall, I have been impressed with the image quality, detail and sharpness both in various lighting conditions and using the infrared. The latter actually works very well indoors, illuminating an area around three to four meters in front of the lens at night.

Setup was very simple - connect the camera to your home router (in my case, a BT HomeHub 4), go to the y-cam website and create an account, type in the camera's serial number, and it will be detected and you can give it a name. Thereafter all access to the camera is either via the y-cam website, or I used a iOS app on both iPad and my iPhone 5S.

And herein lies the inherant problem. The camera can only be accessed via the y-cam website. I have not found any way at all (it may be possible by someone with more network knowledge than I) to 'intercept' the feed from the camera and divert it to, say, my NAS hard drive. You have to view the feed through the website, or the app, and make all setting adjustments here. Sometimes the website has been down - so no recordings and no access to the camera. Most times, it is extremely sluggish. I can't find a way for the main website to store my username and password (even ticking the 'remember me' box doesn't work) so going there I have to enter my credentials every time.

Perhaps the most fundamental issue this causes - you can't record directly from this camera. There is no 'record' button, either in the app's or on the website. You can view the camera feed, but not record. I know this sounds crazy, but it's true.

The only recording which the camera does is in response to the motion detection settings. Set this up to trigger either all the time, or to a set hourly schedule, and when the camera detects motion, it will record the motion and send it up to the y-cam cloud servers where you can view, and if necessary, download and save. But there is no way to determine the length of the recording.

For example, I had the camera in my living room one night, and it detected my son coming down for a midnight snack! But it only recorded five seconds of him approaching the camera, then stopped. It tripped again as he closed the door behind him. In total, when interrogated about the midnight snacking incident later(!) he admitted he was in front of the camera for a good 2-3 minutes - none of which was captured. The length of the recorded clips and the triggers seem arbitrary - sometimes the event which trips the recording is at the start of the clip - sometimes at the end, or cut off altogether. Clips seem to vary from a few seconds, and the longest I have seen is 40 seconds. It is therefore useless for gathering evidence. You can't control the recording, and it is completely hit and miss as to whether the recording captures the most valuable activity at all.

There are other issues with this deferred management state; yes, it's easy to set up, but the iOS app's are useless at changing settings - for example, you can't start or stop the motion detection (and therefore any chance of recording) if you have previously set a schedule - it tells you that a schedule is in effect and can't be altered! you have to go to the main website instead - if you forget to set this up before you leave home, you should be able to control this functionality from the app - that is a shocking oversight.

It also needs far more functionality to be able to record a feed there and then - imagine the scenario where you might be watching the live feed, see a burglar enter, realise you haven't set up the motion detection and - no, you can't just press a button to record. You would have to go to the main website, enter your credentials once again, turn off the schedule, activate the motion tracking, and by then the burglar would have listed all your wares on an auction site, and be off for tea. Ludicrous.

I understand what y-cam are trying to do here; the set up and subsequent management is very easy, and if you want a device which is more of a deterrent than a proper video camera / recorder, it would be fine. I have given it three stars - mainly for ease of setup and image quality. But I wouldn't buy another product from the HomeMonitor range until y-cam fix these inherent drawbacks and allow me to record the output locally, or manually to their cloud, in bursts of 5 minutes, for example. Clearly they are worried about the amount of storage which could quickly be necessary at their end of these really take off, but this isn't the best way to go about it.

Skybird
Comment Comments (2) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jul 8, 2014 9:14 PM BST

Lezyne Macro Drive Front Cycle Light - Black
Lezyne Macro Drive Front Cycle Light - Black

5.0 out of 5 stars You could land planes using this light!, 26 Feb 2014
Charges quickly, last a long time. Durable and waterproof, with an excellent handlebar mount. So bright, you can't fail to be seen, and casts a brilliant cone of light in front of you at night. flashing it demands attention. I use this as an all-pupose torch as well, its the brightest thing I own! Worth every penny if you want a decent light to draw attention when you are on a ride. I use it during the day in the middle of summer as well because its so bright to ensure you are seen, especially when flashing. Buy it - you won't regret it.

Cheetah Mounts ALAMB Articulating Arm TV Wall Mount Bracket for VESA 100 12-24" LCD LED Flat Screen Monitors Display/TVs up to 40lbs Includes Free Twisted Veins 10' HDMI Cable and 6" Bubble Level

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good bracket for the price, 26 Feb 2014
Simple to install, comes with a decent HDMI cable and spirit level as well, making it a steal. Used this for my LG 21:9 LED PC monitor 29EA93 and it supports it well, with no fuss and a good range of motion. Easy to set up and adjust to level and once I loosened the joint screws from new, it is easy to adjust the arm, forward and back, and tilts. Worth every penny given the freebies it comes with - thoroughly recommend.

Page: 1 | 2