Profile for S. Carter > Reviews

Content by S. Carter

S. Carter (UK)

Olympus OM-D EM-5 Micro Four Thirds Interchangeable Lens Camera - Black (16.1MP, Live MOS, M.Zuiko 12-50mm Lens) 3.0 inch OLED
Offered by Great Western Cameras

5.0 out of 5 stars Light and Versatile - Fantastic Pictures. It's a 'Keeper', 30 April 2012
I bought this camera after seeing it first hand at FOCUS in the NEC earlier in the year. I do a lot of travel photography and I can honestly say it is a brilliant camera for this purpose. I've previously had a DSLR and I often found it too bulky and too obtrusive... you can almost hide this camera in your hand! The image stabilisation is much better than previous incarnations and makes those impromtu shots much easier to get right. You can take 90% of shots hand-held without any support or tripod.
The build quality is excellent. I've got a (free) grip on order, but even without one the camera feels very comfortable in my hands....and no wrist strain from my previous heavy DSLR.
The waterproofing is very useful when you get caught in the rain. Battery life is very reasonable (600+ shots).
The buttons are a little 'soft', but not really an issue. The included flash is not really needed in most situations as the image stabilisation lets you take photos without flash in much darker situations than normally would be possible.
The video quality is great and does not suffer the 'jelly on a plate' like effect when panning as most (if not all) other DSLRs do.
The 12-50 lens is a good all-rounder, with macro capability and both standard and video type (power) zooming.
I went for the black and I'm glad I did. There were some negative comments on the net about the case being slippy, but I have not found this at all.

The menus/features are highly customisable...even more so than my previous 'flagship' DSLR.

Overall a great buy.

ProSafe 8 Port Gigabit Smart Managed Switch - Grey
ProSafe 8 Port Gigabit Smart Managed Switch - Grey

5.0 out of 5 stars Good, solid, professional quality switch, 23 Jun. 2011
Unlike some of Netgears' 'home' offerings, this is a very capable mini managed switch. Usefully, it can support jumbo frames and can even be powered by PoE (although as the another reviewer states, it cannot provide PoE to other devices). The v2 model (this one) is 'greener' using very little power. All in all, a very reliable and solid switch.

Logic3 IPD719 iPad Screen Protector
Logic3 IPD719 iPad Screen Protector
Offered by Media-Store

2.0 out of 5 stars Well packaged but quality not too good, 8 Jun. 2010
Well packaged, but the hole for the Home button is too far to one side so does not fit very well. Despite a lot of care I still managed to get bubbles under the screen which would not go away. After a few days I've given up and have replaced it with a different make. My experience could be a 'one-off' so assuming you manage to get this on OK, then the protector itself is very clear with no visible artefacts.

Tuff-Luv Topcoat Enhanced Screen protection for Apple iPad
Tuff-Luv Topcoat Enhanced Screen protection for Apple iPad

2.0 out of 5 stars Works, but with some reservations, 8 Jun. 2010
Arrived very quickly from i-nique. Not boxed as per photo in item's listing and was just packed in a jiffy bag rather than a stiff envelope or box; so bending/folding had occurred in transit. The screen applied OK, however there is a 'rainbow'/'oily' sheen to it which is apparent at certain angles. Probably no worse than other cheap protectors however quality was nowhere near that of the Power Support protectors I've used in the past.
Overall, the protector does work, shame about the packaging.