Profile for Mr. P. K. Steyn > Reviews

Content by Mr. P. K. Steyn

Mr. P. K. Steyn "Pieter" (UK)

Page: 1 | 2
Batman: Earth One (Batman Earth One series Book 1)
Batman: Earth One (Batman Earth One series Book 1)

2.0 out of 5 stars Definately not value for money..., 5 Sept. 2012
For the price I paid I expected alot more content. The story wasn't bad but the price is a complete rip-off. Wouldn't buy any further episodes in this series. Wish I could return it...

Nintendo 3DS Circle Pad Pro (Nintendo 3DS)
Nintendo 3DS Circle Pad Pro (Nintendo 3DS)
Offered by Future Gaming UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Works well, 2 Feb. 2012
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
I got the circle pad together with Resident Evil and so far it works great for me. I love that I have another thumbstick to work with.

I see some other reviewers had gripes about some of the design features, e.g. the wifi slider being covered by the pad. I'd say that's more down to the design of the 3DS rather than the pad itself. I think any grip you design for the 3DS will cover this slider and possibly the volume slider. Maybe Nintendo should've put those sliders on the front of the 3DS?

The pad is comfortable to hold and the thumbstick and buttons work great and are comfortably located. All in all it does its job and that's why I got it.

Rugby World Cup 2011 (Xbox 360)
Rugby World Cup 2011 (Xbox 360)
Offered by Game Trade Online

4.0 out of 5 stars Better than I expected, 26 Sept. 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
Having read other people's comments and having gone through the disappointment 4 years ago when we all realized that Rugby 2008 was little more than a roster-update of Rugby 2006 I wasn't really expecting much from this edition.

However I was pleasantly surprised by the gameplay itself. I'll concede that it's pathetic that you release a game called Rugby World Cup but then don't even licence the number one rugby side in the world who also happen to be this year's hosts. I'm also not too fond of the fact that your only option is basically to replay the world cup time and again without being able to play other tournaments with teams other than those competing for this year's world cup.

For me the appeal of Rugby 2006 and 2008 has always been - and for this edition is - the controls and the rugby match itself. I'm glad they kept the same controls, and I'm glad they've updated the AI to not only make teams behave more realistically, but also to make it harder on the most difficult level.

Gameplay feels like it has been slowed down, which turns out to be a good thing, as you now have more opportunities to spot a gap in defensive lines and to break through that gap. Rugby 2008 had some glitches that really made 2-player matches frustrating - I'm referring specifically to the ability of players to change direction by 180 degrees and yet not lose a yard of pace in the process, and thus allowing them to successfully charge down opposing flyhalves 99% of times. Mercifully this has been fixed.

I liked the graphics - I know a lot of reviewers have stated their dissatisfaction at this, but I've been playing Rugby 08 the past few weeks in anticipation of the RWC and this game, and there is a marked difference in the quality of graphics.

All in all this game for me is an improvement over Rugby 08 in terms of gameplay and graphics. Where Rugby 08 was merely a Rugby 06 patch, this edition feels like a new game with elements of Rugby 08.

I would definitely recommend it, even to someone who has played Rugby 06/08 and doesn't feel that Rugby World Cup might be enough of an improvement.

The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (Nintendo 3DS)
The Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time 3D (Nintendo 3DS)
Offered by Turbotrance

3.0 out of 5 stars Okay but not brilliant, 26 July 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
I bought this game based on the reviews on amazon (mostly from people who had played the game when it came out originally).

The graphics are nice for a 3DS game, and the 3D effect you get from the 3DS improves any game. I haven't finished the game yet, and overall I haven't found it that exciting. So far it seems that all you do is run from one place to another trying to found out how to get to the next place.

In my opinion there's not much depth and it hasn't been very challenging so far. Fighting is easy, even without using a shield. And the puzzle-aspect of it is quite easy. It's okay for an adventure game, but I've played better.

I bought Civilization Revolution for the DS the other day, and found it enjoyable to play mostly because of nostalgia (I remember playing it in the early 90s as a youngster). I think that if I played OoT back in the late 90s when it came out first I'd probably also find it more enjoyable on the 3DS now.
Comment Comments (3) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jan 9, 2012 8:45 AM GMT

CTA Fit Aerobic 3 inch Step Platform (Wii)
CTA Fit Aerobic 3 inch Step Platform (Wii)

4.0 out of 5 stars Wii Balance Board Aerobic step, 21 July 2011
= Fun:4.0 out of 5 stars
The step fits perfectly on the bottom of the balance board, and is very solid. It raise the balance board up by about 3" to leave the total height at about 4". Would've liked it to be a little bit higher, but it works fine when doing workouts. Happy with it :-)

PES 2011 3D (Nintendo 3DS)
PES 2011 3D (Nintendo 3DS)
Offered by HarriBella.UK.Ltd

3.0 out of 5 stars Nice but frustrating, 23 May 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
The graphics are good, and playing in 3D gives such a nice feeling to the game.

I've always been more of a FIFA fan than a PES fan, and one of the reasons for this is that taking a shot at goal on all the PES games I've played is never accurate. The ball rarely goes in the direction I shoot. This is one of quite a few frustrating things about this edition, and not only is it limited to shooting. Sometimes its just plain impossible to make your player run in the direction you want him to. I'm using the analogue pad on the 3DS (and have tried the D-pad as well) but somehow my aim continues to translate terribly into the game... and don't get me started on accurate passing.

But that I can live with; what makes this game extremely frustrating is the very obvious lack of cooperation from my teammates. They all play football like 4-year-olds - none of them can tackle (and refuse to engage the opposition unless I instruct them to), they let the ball roll harmlessly past them without even sticking a foot out to stop it. I sometimes feel like I'm the only one making an effort - or maybe they just don't like me as a teammate...

The only way I've found this game enjoyable is selecting to play with only a single player, and then leaving my teammates to play as bad as they can, secure in the knowledge that at least I'm trying to win us the match.

I hope EA's effort is better than this.

WWE All Stars (Wii)
WWE All Stars (Wii)

3.0 out of 5 stars Probably not the best wrestling game ever, 20 May 2011
= Fun:3.0 out of 5 stars
This review is from: WWE All Stars (Wii) (Video Game)
I have to say that even though I've played a few wrestling games that were better than WWE All Stars, I still enjoyed this one alot.

I'll start with 2 of the most annoying aspects of the game:
* The sound is some of the worst I've heard on any game - I never realised how much difference sound makes to a game until playing this one. The game would be so much more exciting if there were sound effects when doing some of the big moves, or if the commentators shouted or at least said something exciting when one of the wrestlers pulled off a big move. It all comes across as a bit dull, and there are loads of moments during a match when momentum swings one way or another and neither the crowd nor commentators acknowledge it.
* The gameplay is alot slower than I expected. It feels like moves take forever to execute, and that there's no real flow in a match. One of the things that make wrestling exciting is its entertainment factor, which has a lot to do with 2 wrestlers putting on a fast-moving flowing match. This game lacks some of that.

The big positive for this game is all the wrestlers you get to wrestle with. I mostly watched WWF during the 90s, so its great that there are wrestlers like Bret Hart, Ultimate Warrior and the like included. It would've been even better if they included some more wrestlers, but that probably goes without saying.

The game played a lot differently to what I imagined it would do. I pictured fast-paced, ridiculously over-the-top athletic Mortal Kombat-style moves and wrestlers with near-superhero like abilities. I'm glad to say it's not like that - and apart from the pace being a bit slow and the matches not being very "flowy", it does feel like a wrestling match, albeit like a wrestling match between two wrestlers who don't quite know how to put up a good show yet.

Overall there's some positives, and some negatives, but I still enjoyed playing it, and will probably continue doing so for the next... say, two weeks or so.

OCA: Oracle 10g Administration I Study Guide - Exam 1Z0-042
OCA: Oracle 10g Administration I Study Guide - Exam 1Z0-042
by Chip Dawes

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent study material, 7 April 2011
This book is excellent for studying for the Admin I exam. I also used the Oracle Press Admin I book which was good, but not as comprehensive as this one. Would definitely recommend! Be careful though, the Sybex book for Admin II is not nearly up to standard.

OCP: Exam 1Z0-043: Oracle 10g Administration II Study Guide
OCP: Exam 1Z0-043: Oracle 10g Administration II Study Guide
by Doug Stuns

1.0 out of 5 stars Not fit for purpose, 21 Mar. 2011
One of the key aspects of any type of study material is that it should be in an easily readable and understandable language. Whoever wrote and edited this book should be fired. I'm sure that the people who wrote this knew their subject matter; they just had no idea how to teach it to others. New topics get thrown in at random; the text does not flow at all; random, useless stupid diagrams are thrown in; examples of subject matter is shown before the subject is discussed; the list just goes on and on. I've taken a pencil to my book and scratched out all the useless material from it, and have seriously considered tearing out chapter 1. Luckily I've got the All-in-One Exam Guide from Oracle Press that is a lot more readable than this. The Admin 1 book from Sybex was excellent, even better than the Oracle Press material on the same subject - this one is frustrating. I might just give up on it...

NOKIA 5800 PREMIUM EXECUTIVE FLIP CASE - BLACK PART OF THE QUBITS ACCESSORIES RANGE

1.0 out of 5 stars Not as it seems..., 11 Feb. 2011
The case I received does not look like the one advertised. It's yellow on the inside, and instead has a plastic clip to hold the phone. The clip is also skew. It's not what I ordered but I'm not going to go through the hassle of returning it as it was only []

Not pleased.