Profile for E Goodden > Reviews

The Killing Handbook
The Killing Handbook
by Emma Kennedy

5.0 out of 5 stars Very funny!, 14 Jan. 2013
This review is from: The Killing Handbook (Hardcover)
Love this - very amusing and detailed account of Series 1 and 2 of Forbrydelsen.
So much so have been inspired to book a trip to Copenhagen to check out the action for ourselves - the "Learn Danish in 2 minutes" chapter will be very handy I'm sure.

Tak Emma!

The No-Cry Sleep Solution for Toddlers and Preschoolers: Gentle Ways to Stop Bedtime Battles and Improve Your Child's Sleep (Pantley)
by Elizabeth Pantley

5.0 out of 5 stars Thank you Elizabeth Pantley - heaven sent!, 14 Jan. 2013
I bought the first NCSS when my son was about 4 months old and was only sleeping in 1 hour bursts. TBH i didn't ever manage to put any of the strategies into place - or at least didn't find them that helpful.
14 months later still and I was on my knees with tiredness - knew I didn't want to try any "sleep training" but just needed something to help me out of the sleep deprivation hole in which my boy was still waking up between 6 and 12 times a night.

This version of the NCSS is longer than the original - it's just packed full of great ideas which you chose from.
I found the chapter on night weaning, and specifically the section on the ambivalence about deciding to night wean or not, especially helpful.
Other useful ideas included making a short story book to help explain that "milkies goes night nights" and just loads of other great ideas that are an extension from the original.

At 19 months my boy is now able to sleep 4-5 hour stretches which I am fine with - it means only 1 wake up a night - and all this with ZERO tears! Phew!

Kitchen Craft Herb Scissors, Multi-Bladed, 19cm
Kitchen Craft Herb Scissors, Multi-Bladed, 19cm

5.0 out of 5 stars Very good!, 14 Jan. 2013
Got these for Mum for Christmas (she asked for them!)
She's raved about them ever since - apparently make life much easier in the kitchen plus she's actually bought another pair to use to shred bank statements etc.

Baby Relaxation Sleep Nature Water Rain Sounds CD
Baby Relaxation Sleep Nature Water Rain Sounds CD
Offered by hypnosishealthcare

5.0 out of 5 stars Rainy!, 14 Jan. 2013
Yep - it's 60 minutes of water noises.
Nice though - very gentle - and seems to mask other sounds fairly successfully plus isn't annoying.
Our 19 month old seems to approve - his sleep has improved gradually since we got it

Camper Women's Week Suede Af Cabrera Mid Calf Boots 46559-005 8 UK
Camper Women's Week Suede Af Cabrera Mid Calf Boots 46559-005 8 UK

4.0 out of 5 stars Funky boots, 14 Jan. 2013
Not quite as they appear in the photo - suede of the main bit of the boot is a pale tan - and the felt bit is a grey - but they are lovely and I've had lots of complements.
They are quite slim legged - I am a size 8 and usually boots are like wellies on my stick-thin pipecleaner legs but these aren't too baggy at all - but I don't think they'd fit a wider-calved lady :-)

Gro Anywhere Blackout Blind (2012 version)
Gro Anywhere Blackout Blind (2012 version)
Offered by Price-Right-Home

5.0 out of 5 stars Chuffed, 30 Mar. 2012
Bought two of these with some trepedation, based on previous reviews.
However, have not yet (one week in) experienced any of the difficulties of previous reviewers.
Took the precaution of a good clean of the windows first, as recommended by someone on here.
Found the blinds easy to attach, no problems with suckers.
One week later - and it's been a hot week too - both blinds are still exactly where we want them.
Also, I would say that they make the room cooler, rather than hotter, which will be a bonus in the summer.

Save Our Sleep: Helping your baby to sleep through the night, from birth to two years
by Tizzie Hall

1.0 out of 5 stars Cry It Out by any other name - no thank you. Horrific!, 7 Nov. 2011
I have read about seven baby sleep books and this stands out as the least helpful and possibly most detrimental to the parent-child relationship of any of them.

I knew that Crying It Out was not for me so I haven't read Ferber or Gina Ford or anyone who advocates that sort of approach. Hilariously this book claims that it does not recommend CIO, but IT DOES!

Hall recomends leaving the baby to "shout" rather than cry - and, in fairness to her, gives examples of different types of noises babies apparently make so you can start to distinguish between them. I find this ridiculous! There is no evidence base that suggests there is a reliable way of differentiating between baby's cries, although there are lots of quacks out there who would tell you otherwise. Tizzie Hall seems to be one of them.

Hall characterises sleep as a battle between parent and child that the parent must "win". I view this as spectacularly unhelpful way of thinking.

Hall gives the following example of an 11-month old baby who apparently has achieved bowel control and is manipulting his mother...
"James was 11 months old. His parents had tried controlled crying but it had got to the stage where each time James was put in his cot he would vomit.

We put him in his cot where we laid out lots of towels to collect the vomit. When his mother went in and cleaned his face, picked up the soiled towels and walked out. All of this was done in complete silence with no eye contact.

We sat outside the door and listened in case there was a second vomit but soon realized Janes had done a poo instead. After getting him up, changing him and putting him back to bed, James did another poo. At this point we realized it was a game to James. So we waited until he was asleep then went in to change his nappy. This put an end to the game and when he realized we were not coming back he was able to settle himself to sleep."

Horrific eh? I feel the way she characterises James here is almost abusive. He is 11 months old for goodness sake! The way she describes them "winning" when they go and wake James up to change his nappy is almost gleeful. YUCK!

If you are a thoughtful, responsive and loving parent then this is NOT the book to help you establish good sleep routine and relationship with your delightful baby. Instead, have a look at Andrea Grace or the Millpond books on baby and children's sleep. Much more helpful and thoughtful and, importantly, evidence based!
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 29, 2012 12:00 PM GMT

Jump!
Jump!
by Jilly Cooper

2.0 out of 5 stars So many pages, so little action!, 19 May 2011
This review is from: Jump! (Paperback)
I love Jilly Cooper (Rivals is my favourite) and I've been eagerly anticipating Jump!. I've just started maternity leave and have been looking forward to some downtime to get stuck in.

However, I've been forced to abandon Jump! at about 300 pages.

The story seems straightforward enough but GOOD GOD IT IS BORING! After the third lengthy description of who sat next to who and wore what on the bloomin' minibus to go and watch the horse race I lost the will to live. It strikes me that moments of genuine drama (funeral, court case, races etc) are over and done with in a few paragraphs and yet we get pages and pages and pages and pages and pages and (you get the message)... of totally mundane detail that made my eyes cross. Not to mention the crass references to suicide bombing and sly digs at socialist politics. I realise that Jilly isn't known for her in-depth characterisation but this bunch seem particularly thinly written and dislikable.

Having thought about it a bit more I realise what is really missing though is that, in 300 pages, there has been absolutely no bonking! Jilly! What are you doing to us?

Limited Edition 'Bowl of Cherries' DreamGenii Pillow
Limited Edition 'Bowl of Cherries' DreamGenii Pillow

4.0 out of 5 stars Cherry good!, 20 Mar. 2011
Got this pillow at approx 28 weeks pregnant as I was really struggling to find a comfy sleeping position.
Bit apprehensive as I am 5'10" and have long legs (inside leg 34") so worried from other reviews it might be too short.
However, pillow is a really good fit and very comfy. "Bowl of cherries" design very pretty.
In fact, pillow so good at helping me keep in one position through the night that I end up with a sore ear (my ear seems to be a bit cartilage-y!).