Profile for Amazon Customer > Reviews

Amazon Customer

D-Link ShareCenter Pulse 2-bay Network Storage Enclosure
D-Link ShareCenter Pulse 2-bay Network Storage Enclosure

2.0 out of 5 stars It could be a great product but it's not, 10 Jan. 2012
I think I was too fast buying this NAS, I did because mainly two reasons, 1º it's cheap, 2º web interface is pretty nice-looking, I'd said pretty cool. I am used to think that nice interfaces are directly related with the quality of the product, but it is not always the fact.

I've received my package one month ago, the wrapping was perfect (+1 Amazon), the first thing I've tried to do was connect it directly to my PC, in order to use de 1GB port for an initial setup and a big data transfer, unfortunately it didn't work as it needed to be connected to a router in order to get an IP, so I've connected the unit to my router and I've could access to the administration web interface to change to static IP, then I've connected it again to my PC.

Hard drive installation was pretty easy but a format of the entire HDD was needed as the unit uses a format not compatible with FAT or NTFS, after getting the unit ready I've started to transfer a big amount of data, but max throughput was 200Mb/s and this is the max data transfer speed you can get with this device.

So far there are a couple of things I don't like at all:
- Data transfer limited to 200Mb/s
- UPNP file listing is unsorted (crazy when you want to find a file between hundreds)
- HDD Hibernation failed, being needed a factory default reset in order to get it working again
- UPNP has not subtitle support
- UPNP manual refresh is necessary when adding new files to the unit

Now you can imagine this scenario that happened to me:

You copy a bunch of files waiting more than an hour, when ready, you get crazy searching the file you want to visualize because they are unsorted, finally you see a movie and go to bed, early in the morning NAS is pretty loud because fan is at high speed and the unit quite warm as the hibernation feature failed, then you switch it completely off because you have no time to investigate furthermore, in the evening you need a default reset to get this working again fine.

So long