Profile for Maxim Candries > Reviews

Content by Maxim Candries

Maxim Candries (Belsele, Belgium)

Page: 1 | 2
Cannibal Courtship
Cannibal Courtship
Offered by Fulfillment Express

1.0 out of 5 stars A disappointment, 8 July 2011
This review is from: Cannibal Courtship (Audio CD)
I have been following Dengue Fever ever since their debut Dengue Fever, which contains some mind-blowing tracks sung by Chhom Nimol in Khmer. Unfortunately, most tracks here are sung in English and too many by Zac Holtzman. There were a couple of amusing duets on Venus On Earth but this new album is boring and a complete miss. In Khmer, Chhom Nimol's voice is beautiful and full of nuance but when she sings in English here, she sounds strained to the point of almost wailing. The best track here is the instrumental but it is a far cry from Ethanopium. I'm so disappointed that I'm giving only one star. Skip this one and check out their earlier work instead.

Dakar - Kingston
Dakar - Kingston

5.0 out of 5 stars A tribute to Bob Marley and an uplifting retrospective album, 26 Jun. 2011
This review is from: Dakar - Kingston (Audio CD)
Youssou Ndour has this marvellous capability to make you feel better whenever you hear him. The album opens gently with Marley. This is a new song, on which Yusuf Islam (better known as Cat Stevens) and Tyrone Downie (from the Wailers) collaborated. There are some very good new songs such as Black Woman, Diarr Diarr and Bagn Len.

About half of the songs are not new but they have been reworked and given a reggae twist: the catchy Medina (first recorded in 1985 but included on Set), Joker (which was on some versions of 2002's Nothing's in Vain..), Bololene (which was on Alsaama Day of 2007 but which is now released internationally for the first time), Bamba (from 1994's The Guide (Wommat)), Survie (which was on 1992's Eyes Open), Don't Walk Away (from 2000's Joko), Africa Dream Again (also on Nothing's in Vain..) and Pitch Me (from 1984's Immigres). Sometimes it's difficult to decide which version is the better one and you won't regret buying this CD!

I had the chance to see Youssou Ndour twice in concert last summer. He gave us 'a musical journey from Kingston to Dakar' where reggae blended into mbalax and where the excellent musicians made sure that everybody was dancing from beginning to end. Catch them if you can!

Streetlady [VINYL]
Streetlady [VINYL]

3.0 out of 5 stars Enjoyable funky grooves, 7 Feb. 2006
This review is from: Streetlady [VINYL] (Vinyl)
Not a bad album from the blaxploitation era. My favourite tracks are Lansana's Priestess, Miss Kane and Street Lady. Certainly not Byrd's best, but if you like his music from the 70s, you'll enjoy this one too.
I read somewhere those aren't actually ladies on the cover. If so, they are some of the best-looking cross-dressers I've ever seen!

Malicool
Malicool

5.0 out of 5 stars Trombone and kora? It works!, 4 Sept. 2005
This review is from: Malicool (Audio CD)
The last couple of years have seen a great number of crossover albums. Not all of them are very good, but this one certainly is.
Here, the jazz trombonist Roswell Rudd has teamed up with the kora player Toumani Diabaté. At first it sounds a bit strange to hear a trombone in this setting, but I've listened to this album repeatedly and it has really grown on me ; I think the music is fascinating. 'Jackie-ing', in particular, is one of the most interesting versions of a Thelonious Monk composition I've heard in years. 'Sena et Mariam', on the other hand, is so gentle and beautiful that it almost made me cry.
Perhaps, not as accessible or as good as the collaboration between Farka Touré and Ry Cooder but this is definitely a very good CD. Were it not for the rather silly Beethoven coda, I would have given 5 stars - as it stands I give 4.5/5.

Leaders Of The Free World
Leaders Of The Free World
Offered by A ENTERTAINMENT

4.0 out of 5 stars Worthy successor to a Cast of Thousands, 2 Sept. 2005
This is the fourth time I listen to it in two days and, like with the previous one, it grows on me each time.
The album starts fabulously with "Station Approach", which uses a mantra-like build up similar to the unsurpassable "Ribcage". It is not surprising that "Forget myself" will be the first single, because it is a catchy tune that immediately appeals. The greatest track for me, however, is the haunting title track: fabulous! "Mexican Standoff" has a great guitar riff and the short "Punture Break" is an extremely beautiful closing song.
In short, this album is very good but I am not giving 5 stars because I'm not sure yet whether I don't find the slower tracks ("The stops", "An imagined affair", "The everthere") a bit repetitive and whether I like this album as much as their previous one. But I bet that if you liked the previous one, you will also like this one.

Work Song
Work Song

4.0 out of 5 stars Showcase of Nat Adderley's beautiful legato play, 2 Sept. 2005
This review is from: Work Song (Audio CD)
The album starts off with his best-known composition, the fabulous "Work Song". The advantage on this album is that you really hear how great Nat's cornet playing is. This album features quite an unusual set-up, in that the other melody instruments are guitar and cello. Montgomery sounds very good in this setting, especially on "Pretty Memory". The slow "My heart stood still" is very moving.
Straight re-issue of Riverside 1167 - no bonus tracks.

Suddenly [DVD] [1954]
Suddenly [DVD] [1954]
Dvd ~ Frank Sinatra
Offered by Todays Great Deal

5.0 out of 5 stars Definitely worth seeing, 17 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Suddenly [DVD] [1954] (DVD)
This is a very strong movie. As a suspense thriller it is obviously not in the same league as, say, Rear Window, but it is a very entertaining 90mins and you can understand why Oswald must have felt pent up after seeing this just before he went out to shoot Kennedy. The actors are good with Sinatra in his best period. Heck, I'll give it 5 stars because there's no 4.5.

Spirit the Power of Music
Spirit the Power of Music

4.0 out of 5 stars Spiritual and uplifting, 17 Aug. 2005
I hadn't listened for a long time to Randy Weston, until last Sunday when I saw him give a masterful solo performance in Antwerp. I was especially impressed by his rendering, if I understood correctly, of a child song mixed with gnawa influences. It worked beautifully and I thought that I should check out this CD where he actually performs with gnawa musicians.
This CD opens impressively with a wonderful trademark "earthy" solo on Receiving the Spirit. The music builds up slowly with flute, trombone and the then the gnawa chanting on the third track.
This is not an album to listen to on shuffle play. Let the spirit draw you in. Beautiful.
I have not given this 5 stars because I don't think I will listen very often to this album, but it's worth checking out nevertheless. I also recommend Marrakech in the cool of the evening.

Dance of Death
Dance of Death

5.0 out of 5 stars Killer album, 16 Aug. 2005
This review is from: Dance of Death (Audio CD)
I really like this one, maybe Hill's best one for me. Better than the already good Passing Ships which was recorded the year later ('69). The blowers are excellent but the real star's Hill. The title track has a great haunting theme. On the whole album, I like the subtle way he drives the others. Apparently Hill's recordings for Blue Note in the 60s were some of the label's least-selling. I don't know why ; this is a great re-issue.

Six Pieces Of Silver
Six Pieces Of Silver

5.0 out of 5 stars Seminal record in Silver's career, 28 July 2005
This review is from: Six Pieces Of Silver (Audio CD)
This was Silver's second LP as a band-leader, and his first for Blue Note. It features the great hit Señor Blues, but in fact every track on this CD is great. It is interesting that there is such a veriety in rhythm, displaying Silver's great talents as a composer, and yet somehow the album is very coherent. This CD edition, like all the Rudy Van Gelder remastered albums is well done ; not only for the welcome bonus tracks but also for the liner notes. You have the original liner notes by Leonard Feather, and then some additional notes by Blumenthal for this CD, putting the album in its historic context. Great CD.
Comment Comment (1) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Nov 14, 2010 5:54 AM GMT