Profile for Drew > Reviews

Content by Drew

Drew

Canon EOS M Compact System Camera - Black (18MP, Includes Speedlite 90EX and EF-M 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS STM) 3.0 inch Touchscreen
Price: 279.00

3.0 out of 5 stars Great Image Quality - Poor Focussing, 8 Nov 2012
Based on firmware 1.0.6 and lens firmware 2.0.0

This camera is a bit of a mixed bag. I have owned a number of Canon DSLRs as well as point and shoots and the biggest differences between the two have always been focussing speed and image quality (sure there are plenty of others like changing lenses etc but for the purpose of this review, I'm focussing on these two items)

The Bad - if you are expecting focussing speeds and accuracy like on your DSLR body, stop right now and don't buy this camera. It's focussing speeds are much more like a point a shoot camera. Good but not great. I was expecting it to be a lot closer to DSLR performance levels. Also, and this may be down to early firmware, it sometimes has to hunt quite a bit for focus - ie I was at the ExCel convention centre in the Docklands this week and the camera seemed to not like the bright spotlights and varying levels of light too much. I should say that this was less prevalent at the wider aperture settings on the kit lens than when I zoomed in and the aperture narrowed.

Auto servo in movie mode is ok.

Both video and still images suffered from difficulty finding focus in low light situations.

The good - IMAGE QUALITY!!! This is what I wanted - SLR quality images in a point and shoot form factor. The EOS-M delivers big time in this area. I have been super pleased with the results. RAW is what I shoot in primarily and I have been nothing but happy with the results.

Misc -

- there seems to be a glitch as, even though I have the 18-55mm kit lens, the camera seems to think I have the 22mm lens attached (showing in the metadata) perhaps this is impacting the focussing performance?

- Full automatic mode is pretty good at selecting the best shooting mode. There is a little glitch in full auto - if you change from single shot to burst mode, this setting is not saved when you restart the camera. Annoying? Yes. Show-stopping? Only if you are really irritable.

- I really wish the included 90EX flash allowed for rotating the head to bounce off walls and ceilings. The bigger flashes have this but the point is to have a small form factor and whacking my 430EX on there defeats the purpose!

I'll update this as I spend more time with the camera.
Comment Comments (6) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Jun 27, 2013 4:25 PM BST