Profile for el hombre tranquilo > Reviews

Content by el hombre tran...

el hombre tranquilo (Bulimia)

Backgammon (Kindle Tablet Edition)
Backgammon (Kindle Tablet Edition)

2.0 out of 5 stars OK for learning, 12 April 2015
I learnt how to play the basics of Backgammon with this app in about half an hour which was really good as its a great game - however, after getting to know the game a bit you notice the device gets many more doubles, always seems to get the dice roll it wants and when you finally manage to roll a double its when one of your counters is on the bar and there are no valid moves. Probably best when it's played with another human if you want to play a fair game.

Irwin  Bolt Grip Remover 5PC Base set  394001
Irwin Bolt Grip Remover 5PC Base set 394001

5.0 out of 5 stars FANTASTIC!!! It really works!, 27 Sept. 2010
Had a very rounded bolt on my rear wheel caliper mounting, spent hours trying to shift it but made it worse. Bought this sceptically, arrived next day, bolt was off in about 2 mins!! Had to apply with hammer to get it firmly fixed on, when it came off socket was completely unscathed! Best addition to my toolbox in years. Buy with confidence.

Alesis IO 2 portable 2 Channel 24-Bit USB Audio Interface
Alesis IO 2 portable 2 Channel 24-Bit USB Audio Interface

5.0 out of 5 stars Fantastic Product, 17 April 2010
I bought this to create music with Reason 4 & Cubase 5. Its the first external soundcard I've bought that has absolute minimal latency. I also plug my guitar into it and record into Cubase and i'm amazed by the quality of recording. For the money, you won't find better.
Highly recommended!

Spiders of Britain and Northern Europe (Collins Field Guide)
Spiders of Britain and Northern Europe (Collins Field Guide)
by Michael J. Roberts

3.0 out of 5 stars Great pictures, but why no common names??, 13 Mar. 2008
I bought this book after developing a sudden interest in spiders when I discovered a False Widow in my garden. Trouble is, all the spiders are labelled in Latin only so it's not very helpful when trying to learn their names, let alone pronounce them.
For instance, the easy-to-remember-and-say 'harvestman' is only referred to as the easy-to-forget-and-pronounce-wrongly 'Leiobunum rotundum'...

For serious students, experts and professionals...
Comment Comments (19) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Sep 5, 2014 11:54 AM BST

The Milk-Eyed Mender
The Milk-Eyed Mender

5.0 out of 5 stars Uplifting and dream-like., 19 Oct. 2005
This review is from: The Milk-Eyed Mender (Audio CD)
I bought this album without knowing anything about Joanna Newsom - I accidently came across her name on the internet and became intrigued after reading someone else's fervent praises of her. My spontinaity paid off as The Milk-Eyed Mender is the most beautiful and original collection of songs I've ever heard.

Dead Man's Shoes [DVD] [2004]
Dead Man's Shoes [DVD] [2004]
Dvd ~ Paddy Considine
Offered by Rikdev Media

5.0 out of 5 stars Violent yet so emotional..., 6 Aug. 2005
Shane Meadow's Dead Man's Shoes is the film I always hoped someone would make. It is just amazing.
Paddy Considine's lead-role performance of Richard in this film is probably the best I've ever seen - and I even put it above De Niro's similar anti-hero Travis Bickle in Taxi Driver.
Unlike Travis, who is slowly encouraged into retribution by the immoral world around him, Richard has more personal reasons for revenge and one brief cafe scene at the beginning of the film lets us witness a brief glimpse of the potential fury that resides within him, and has done for the past eight years ever since his retarded brother Anthony was cruelly tormented by a local drug gang.
Toby Kebbel is also remarkable playing the retarded Anthony - in fact, he was so convincing I honestly thought Toby - who I'd never heard of - was genuinely afflicted with the same difficulties in real life and was amazed to find out he wasn't.
And it's not just the acting that makes this film - the dialogue is fantastic, this is partly due to the allowed improvisation which creates outstanding realism, especially when in the hands of Considine - I was overawed by his talent in the street-scene where he has his first verbal confrontation with 'Sonny' (ex-boxer Gary Stretch), it was just sublime.
Add a beautiful soundtrack, a bleak Derbyshire landscape, some dark humour and a gut-wrenching ending and you have, in my opinion, the best film ever made.

Doolittle
Doolittle

5.0 out of 5 stars Immense and essential, 22 May 2005
This review is from: Doolittle (Audio CD)
About a year ago the only Pixies songs I was familiar with were 'Here Comes Your Man', 'Velouria' and 'This Monkey's Gone To Heaven', and being a Nirvana fan and knowing Kurt Cobain had rated their music so highly, I was prompted to buy the 'Wave of Mutilation' album (a best of CD) and see for myself. I loved what I heard and within hearing this album a couple of times I went out and bought all their records in one hit.
It was probably the most greatest music discovery I'll ever make. Their songs are just so consistently good and what makes the Pixies so special is their originality and diversity.
I was going to go on about the songs on this album and how fantastic this CD sounds but I, nor anybody else, would be able to do it enough justice so I'll just say BUY IT NOW because your record collection is mightily flawed without it.

Five Leaves Left
Five Leaves Left
Offered by Fulfillment Express

5.0 out of 5 stars Mindblowing...., 8 May 2005
This review is from: Five Leaves Left (Audio CD)
I don't mind admitting I hadn't even heard of Nick Drake until a friend played me this record in the recent summer of 2004. At the time I generally preferred my guitars much more heavy with extra feedback and was completely unprepared to be blown away by one man and his acoustic guitar...
If you're fed up to the hind-teeth of hearing the word 'genius' being used on Amazon reviews then look away now because Nick Drake was a genius. To be able to write and perform such beautiful and lyrically-mature music as this by the age of 21 proves it (and this was his second album!).
If you're not familiar with the talent of Nick Drake or this album then I truly envy you because you are about to discover something utterly astounding...