Profile for A. Webb > Reviews

Content by A. Webb

A. Webb (Isle of Wight, UK)

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16
Wolf-Garten KS2K Fixed Hand Tool Weeding and Planting Knife
Wolf-Garten KS2K Fixed Hand Tool Weeding and Planting Knife

5.0 out of 5 stars Ideal, when a spade or trowel is too big, 22 May 2015
I heard about these from a friend, and bought one for my other half, who is an avid gardener. She was absolutely delighted with the took, and tells me that it fills a need she didn't know she had; something that is useful when a spade or even a small hand trowel is too clumsy. For weeding in particular, among flower beds, this is just the job. Construction looks solid, and she says that the tool feels nice in her hand, and unlikely to slip.

Spiral - Women - NATIVE SPIRIT - Baggy Top Black - Medium
Spiral - Women - NATIVE SPIRIT - Baggy Top Black - Medium
Offered by Spiral Direct

4.0 out of 5 stars Good quality and beautiful design., 20 May 2015
Got this as a stocking topper for my girlfriend, and got a size that was a fraction too small. But, as this was my own fault, and the item itself was excellent, I decided not to return it, and instead gave it to my step daughter. The quality of the product is very good, and the design beautiful. I would definitely look at other Spiral products, only next time order the right size! For other mere men who do not know, medium is actually teenager slim, and a more mature woman may need a large size. Apparently, what most men think of as genuinely large, is in fact an XX size garment.

Reebok Mens Pheehan Running Shoes Jogging Gym Sport Laced Up Trainers White/Sil/Navy 6.5(40)
Offered by Kickback Sports

4.0 out of 5 stars Nice quality at the price point, better than most., 20 May 2015
Trying to replace a pair of Reebok's that finally had to be retired, I found these at what I thought was a reasonable price. Unfortunately, the first pair delivered had a right shoe insole that was cut wrongly, producing a 3mm high ridge that pressed uncomfortably into my foot. So, I contacted Kickback Sports and began the process of returning them (via freepost) for a replacement pair. In due course a second pair arrived, which had the same issue but to an acceptably lesser degree, and so as the shoe itself fitted perfectly I chose to keep them and add my own gel type insoles. The shoes looks very nice, and seem well made, with the strange exception of the insole issue. They'll never be as good as a Merrell shoe, or equivalent higher end item, but at this price they're good value for general use. The replacement pair we left propped up against my door while we were out - and we live on a main road - so we were lucky to find them still there. However, this was no fault of Kicback Sports, who I can recommend.

Knickers in a Twist: A Dictionary of British Slang
Knickers in a Twist: A Dictionary of British Slang
by Jonathan Bernstein

5.0 out of 5 stars Enjoy the differences between UK and US use of English, 18 May 2015
Good, fun little book, joyously and often sarcastically highlighting why the US and UK are countries divided by a common language.

Audioquest Dragonfly V1.2
Audioquest Dragonfly V1.2
Offered by Peter Tyson Online

5.0 out of 5 stars Music was my first love, and this helps., 18 May 2015
I got this with the idea of placing it between my PC and my Onkyo 609 AV, which I'd 'retired' from movie service, into my home office to replace an old bog-standard amp. After consulting the sellers I was assured this product would be ideal both for that task, and as a portable DAC to use with headphones.

I can conform that it does improve the sound quality, at least to my perception. Audiophiles may disagree. The unit is also well made and easy to setup. Just plug it in and Windows recognises it and installs drivers, no download required at the time of writing this review. Volume is controlled either from Windows/Mac own settings, programs running under Windows/Mac, or via the output device, in this case the Onkyo. What's produced is a lovely, rich yet mellow sound. MP3's, a notoriously lossy format, do sound better, although there are obviously limits to what can be achieved.

My sole complaint is that the DragonFly does not give the pre-amplification level I was hoping for, and led to believe would be the case. I was trying to boost the signal to my Onkyo, but still have to run the volume up to 50+ before it really works well. This issue aside, the DragonFly seems the best of the bunch at the price, and for anyone past the first flush of youth, and therefore physically beyond hearing certain sounds, yet still able to appreciate sound improvement, it's just the job!

HQ - HQSS3458/1.5 - Professional 3.5 mm Stereo Plug - 2 x Phono (Left + Right) - 1.5 M

5.0 out of 5 stars Above average quality, 18 May 2015
Nice quality plugs for fairly short connection, superior construction, and packaging that can actually be opened without scissors, which is a boon.

Cambridge Dac Magic Xs
Cambridge Dac Magic Xs
Offered by Cambridge Audio

1.0 out of 5 stars Junk, do not buy, 8 May 2015
Firstly, I must make it clear that I had this bought for me (which Amazon can check against my regular address) but that said I am so unhappy with the product I wanted to warn others. I have 25+ years of expertise in computers, so I understand how to install and set things up. But this gizmo defied all efforts on a high end Windows 7 64-bit machine. CambridgeAudio don't supply drivers with the product, so it's necessary to go and get them. However, even though Windows reported that the device was installed a ready for use, I couldn't get a peep out of it. Nor did the option for using this as a speaker output ever materialise. Instead I tried to use it as headphone output. Not only did it refuse to output to headphones, but all attempts to install it using either of the drivers from the CA site resulted only in a warning that the device was not plugged in. Obviously it was plugged in and should work. I therefore conclude this is poorly made junk, and we will be returning it for a full refund.

Whispers Under Ground (Rivers of London 3)
Whispers Under Ground (Rivers of London 3)
by Ben Aaronovitch

3.0 out of 5 stars A little less good, 24 April 2015
Ben Aaronovitch continues to mine his seam, and with each book seems to do less. It's irritating that such a good writer manages to pack in so little by comparison to contemporaries such as Guy Adams (author of the excellent 'Clown Service' and 'The Rain-Soaked Bride' novels) and under-uses his most interesting characters. Whispers Under Ground ticks many boxes, but somehow left me feeling as if I'd read a book written on auto-pilot. Aaronovitch has the skills and the cast, he just needs to arrange them in a better, more engaging fashion. By far the biggest issue here is that his lead character, while quite interesting, is overshadowed by at least three other main cast members. For example, I;d much rather be reading a story centered on the last fully trained British wizard, Nightingale, AND his sidekick. As things stand, it's like reading a Batman story that has way too much Robin.

Samsung SH-S222AB 22X SATA Dual layer DVD Writer DVD±RW Black
Samsung SH-S222AB 22X SATA Dual layer DVD Writer DVD±RW Black

5.0 out of 5 stars Reliable, cheap and does the job!, 24 April 2015
Reliable, cheap and does the job! Great item for those who build their own PC's. Will cover pretty much everything that most people will be doing, and is still a vital part of any good PC. Because sooner or later you'll be presented with a situation where a disk drive is required. I'd always rather buy a known make, than go for the cheaper end of this market and end up with a series of coasters.

Scotland's Jesus: The Only Officially Non-racist Comedian
Scotland's Jesus: The Only Officially Non-racist Comedian
by Frankie Boyle

3.0 out of 5 stars Must try harder, 24 April 2015
Frankie Boyle can be devastatingly funny and extremely clever, when he wants to put in the effort. Unfortunately, he spends quite a lot of his time pretending that being offensive (which any fool can do) is actually cutting edge comedy. Don't get me wrong, I'm with Mr Boyle in many ways, detesting injustice, corruption and PC madness. But those worthy targets often suffer by omission, while Boyle takes the easy route an pot-shots away. Those who also can't tell the difference will be delighted. Everyone else may be less thrilled.

Page: 1 | 2 | 3 | 4 | 5 | 6 | 7 | 8 | 9 | 10 | 11-16