Profile for AZ F > Reviews

Content by AZ F

AZ F

Page: 1 | 2
Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster (PS3)
Final Fantasy X/X-2 HD Remaster (PS3)
Offered by Shop4World
Price: 26.87

5.0 out of 5 stars Full Marks!, 21 Mar 2014
I may not have bought this from Amazon, but so far it's been an excellent HD remaster. Maybe a bit of the fun came from a run around trying to find a store that hadn't sold out of copies! If you've played this and haven't got this remaster, then make sure you get the chance!
And if you've never played these games before, dive in!
It's all coming back to me now...

The Gigantic Beard That Was Evil
The Gigantic Beard That Was Evil
by Stephen Collins
Price: 11.89

5.0 out of 5 stars The Superb Book That Deserves Higher Profile, 9 Feb 2014
I'm not sure how a sequel would work, if there is one. It's a beautifully self contained story.
I've no idea how long it will take before Disney gets it's claws into it and butchers it in making a film with a more predictable ending.
Personally, I will always be reminded of Christmas, as that's when I received a copy. And yet, if Channel 4 turned it into an animated Christmas special, it would fall down flat. It's not a Christmas story. It's not a Halloween story. It's a haunting story. But it's not a ghost story. Even Cartoon Network would baulk and say it's "too weird". And yet, if surrealist enthusiasts read it, they'd probably feel short changed! It's basically one of a kind. Maybe the story can be read quickly within half an hour, but then there's hours you can spend on it taking in the detail of the pictures.
I have no idea where Stephen Collins will go from here, but it's a massive benchmark he's set for himself. And it's a massive reading experience you'll be depriving yourself of, the longer you hesitate from buying it!

MGMT
MGMT
Offered by Fulfillment Express
Price: 10.47

5.0 out of 5 stars MGMT Need No Change Of MGMT, 8 Oct 2013
This review is from: MGMT (Audio CD)
EDIT: I've kept on playing it and it's their best album yet!

Cards on the table first, I prefer "Congratulations" to their first album. And "Flash Delirium" is the greatest song of this decade, let alone 21st Century.

I've finally got this album and although "Alien Days" comes close to "Flash Delirium", by the time of "Introspection" (And yes, I know that's a cover) I finally realised what was going on with the album.
The overall sound has been treated, not the usual FX pedals of distortion or phasing, but the whole sound has been made to seem as if a radio with interference. No, more as a hi-tech NASA instrument picking up signals.
This is an idea that will split people into those who think it's a muggy and terrible idea and others who think it's a brilliant idea.

For all the experiments in sound, the melodies are quite grounded. Neither radical or conservative, but a purity of tunes that defies political leanings. If any other band bought out this album with the same lyrics and tunes, but without the foggy sound (And yeah, sometimes the bass drum sounds like it's playing a different song) then that album would have been called a "Classic" and sold millions in it's first week.

You could do a cover on a finger-picked acoustic guitar of "A Good Sadness" and it would be a spellbinding song to listen to.
You could do a cover on a ukelele of "Plenty Of Girls In The Sea" and perform it at parties on the shore.
You couldn't do a cover of the sounds of the album, but the melodies are actually there. An acoustic MGMT album would be an amazing album in it's own right. And as MGMT entered the UK charts at number 45 for one week... Columbia might be putting pressure on the band to make that acoustic album!

I can picture Columbia moving the band to a smaller label. I can even see the band getting dropped! There'll probably be more pressure for the band to next time bring the melodic bits up higher into the mix. And maybe write shorter poppy songs (Although can you possibly get any more basic and fun than "Your Life Is A Lie"?)
I can't see Columbia giving the band a lecture on lyric writing or how to write melodies. In fact, maybe in a few years we'll see another release of the album, but only with all the studio channels available so you could do your own mix of the record?

And pyramid shaped pictures in the albums artwork only work for big selling bands who have sold out to the illuminati anyway...

Obscured By Clouds
Obscured By Clouds
Price: 17.58

5.0 out of 5 stars Obscured By "Dress Rehearsal For Dark Side" Claims, 22 Nov 2012
This review is from: Obscured By Clouds (Audio CD)
For me, I put Obscured By Clouds, Dark Side Of The Moon and Wish You Were Here as their fabled "three album streak" claim. I understand I'm outvoted on Animals fans over this one. So we'll settle for "It's a Pink Floyd album. Why are we arguing?" card and bow out gracefully. If the band's current owners plan on making a cash in "Ultimate Floyd" Double CD again, if it doesn't have "Mudmen", then it's not the whole Ultimate Pink Floyd.
Some people are always going to think of it as Dark Side Of The Moon's dress rehearsal. The band have probably said this in interviews, too rich to think clearly what they are dismissing. Of course the albums that bring home the bacon will Obscure whatever came before it. It's not Obscured By Clouds's fault they went on to make Wish You Were Here. I can hear in the production that Pink Floyd didn't have much time to plan this album, compared to the one they were preparing for us...

Please, please let Obscured By Clouds get sold in petrol shops!
And a big hello to anyone who first heard this album in the 90's on a SHVL EMI tape that had the track-listing all wrong! It took a while to adjust to how the correct track-listing went. This doesn't explain anything about how the album sounds, or what are the lyrics like, but I've known many good people with Pink Floyd records. And I know really great people who only have the 1972 vinyl.
Obscured By Clouds is the album you want to share with your lover, but save it as a treat for when after they have swallowed Dark Side Of The Moon and The Wall, only to discover she discovered the album herself independently of you, many weeks after you split.
Obscured By Clouds, but still standing as out of correct choice. It's always going to be obscured. That's why it's there to seek out through the cloudfall and mist.

Transcendental Medication
Transcendental Medication
Price: 5.99

5.0 out of 5 stars Her Best Work, 30 Sep 2012
I can't believe I didn't buy this when it was first released. An even better album than The Nymphs. "It Could Happen To You" should have been the lead single. It's Bond-esque and the rest of the album is a lot more sophisticated than the glam grunge Inger is usually associated with. Don't leave it too late to get this album if you found out about Inger Lorre by random.

Retrospective (Anthology 1970 - 2009)
Retrospective (Anthology 1970 - 2009)
Price: 10.78

5.0 out of 5 stars Breathtaking Collection, 28 Sep 2012
Got it today from Amazon. The second disc I had never heard before and I am astonished at how much Curved Air later songs ripped off by Travelling Wilbury's and even Manic Street Preachers on their "No Surface All Feeling"! I knew about Sonja getting ripped off on writing credits, but I had no idea they owed so much. And I even thought they should have been as big as Led Zeppelin. But when you read the excellent booklet and consider the tours, they were successful and acclaimed.
And good as it was to have all the tracks properly restored, their first album still sounds bare.
At the prices available, you really can't go wrong with this CD. Although I was gutted "Bright Summer's Day '68" wasn't included on the compilation, the second disc made up for it so much I've gone and ordered "Phantasmagoria" on the same day this was delivered! Come and join the Curved Air party. Come back in from the cold to the Curved Air party.

Lulu
Lulu
Offered by mrtopseller
Price: 2.75

5.0 out of 5 stars You've Made Your Mind Up Already So May As Well Not Read, 16 Sep 2012
This review is from: Lulu (Audio CD)
About ten years ago my girlfriend left me and "And your ******* depressing Lou Reed!" was one of her final messages.
In reference to me playing "Berlin" and "Songs For Drella" once too often. So in that context, it's a good job she wasn't around when I got into "Lulu"...
There clearly isn't going to be stadium shows of Lou Reed & Metallica playing this album. But I think it could sell out on smaller venues. It wouldn't be a phonebox. It's a pity people some people not on Amazon, are basing it on the Later... With Jools Holland performance of "Iced Honey" as the production on the album has it perfectly balanced that doesn't get lost in translation from a live television feed. You only have the golden rule of "No retakes, mistakes are perfect!" to thank for The View not having a re-recorded vocal.
I have met other people who like it. Most people either go quiet or say they've never heard Lulu, but I have met a few. They happen to be poets. If you've ever gone to an Open Floor/Mic and loved it then you can't hate Lulu as much as people who can't stand Open Floor/Mic nights seem to.
I'm going to buy the guitar tab book of this album. And five minutes into Junior Dad, I didn't want the album to end. And then it didn't.
Lulu is 5 stars for me. And if Lou and Metallica don't retire, then I hope their next album is full of rage, hurt and spite at the response to this album. I suppose I'd have to see the actual play.
The only way this album could be improved would be Lou and the band performing this album to an empty arena.
We are a minority, but history will show us we were right all along by giving Lulu five stars.
Comment Comments (5) | Permalink | Most recent comment: Feb 17, 2014 4:37 PM GMT

West Coast Seattle Boy: The Jimi Hendrix Anthology [DVD] [2010]
West Coast Seattle Boy: The Jimi Hendrix Anthology [DVD] [2010]
Dvd ~ Jimi Hendrix
Price: 15.08

5.0 out of 5 stars How To Do A Hendrix Documentary, 10 Sep 2012
Although I'd prefer it if you bought the whole West Coast Seattle Boy box set, I understand times are hard. So no waffling, this is the greatest DVD documentary with Jimi Hendrix's name on it.
It's a million times better than the Joe Boyd "A Film About Jimi Hendrix". It's ace card is it features Jimi's actual letters and text interviews read by Bootsy Collins. And this goes right the way back to Jimi talking about his childhood, from letters to his family while he was in the Air Force, right up to interviews were Jimi talks about his future plans in 1970.
There are also full versions of certain songs, including rare live performances. The whole thing is filmed across a timeline. We see his drawings, handwritten lyrics and postcards, and pictures. Lots of pictures.
It may not go deep into why Jimi felt the need to break up the Experience. All of it is from his own perspective. And they even show the b+w news footage of his death. Most importantly, the film shows that Jimi was full of ideas and intentions to take his music (And obviously his audience)even further than he'd ever taken us before. It demolishes the myth that he was burnt out from drugs, as it's impossible (especially when viewed after listening to all four discs of the box set)to see his death as anything other than a bigger trauma than the Beatles breaking up.
The guy just breathed out music!
If you've just got into Jimi, or have never bothered but are interested. I recommend this DVD.
It makes you wish other musicians and bands would get a similar timeline documentary about their own careers.
Full five stars.

Greatest Misses
Greatest Misses
Price: 11.79

5.0 out of 5 stars Great buy, 8 Sep 2012
This review is from: Greatest Misses (Audio CD)
I know I'm cheating and should go out fo my way to buy all his albums, but the idea of "The Very Best Of Robert Wyatt" seemed too weird to resist.

I've already heard most of Rock Bottom from the perfect "Going Back A Bit" compilation (which is probably out of print now :( )
I read up a bit and it turns out the "consensus", even from Robert, is that "End Of An Ear" was juvenile. I'm still interested in hearing it, but from the tracklisting on Greatest Misses I'd explore his following albums:

Old Rottenhat, Ruth Is Stranger Than Richard, Nothing Can Stop Us, Cuckooland and Dondestan in order of hearing next.
I already own Shleep. I've just realised I haven't left room to put in End Of An Ear and Rock Bottom...
I think the only Robert Wyatt discography that isn't Wiki is this Italian one, half translated, that really lays in Cuckooland.

I think His Greatest Misses would have been better served if I'm A Believer was at the start of the disc. As it would mirror the generic Greatest Hits albums of more chart successful acts. And get the album off to a faster start.

If you are curious about Robert start here.

Silent Hill Downpour Official Game Guide
Silent Hill Downpour Official Game Guide
by Prima Games

5.0 out of 5 stars Excellent Buy!, 15 Aug 2012
This is a brilliant guide. It lets you form your own game from the choices you pick, but it just points out where the boundaries of the stories framework are.
I managed to complete it without the guide (But with help from a LOT of people who'd already beaten it) and playing it with the guide has made me drag almost everything out of the game.
Some fans hated Downpour, others loved it, some thought it was OK. The function of this book as a comprehensive guide to the game would probably win support from those three sets of fans. Even the ones who hate it, love it for showing them why they hate it.
If you loved more about Downpour than you hated, you need to buy this book as *UNIQUE SELLING POINT* the screenshots are taken and lit brighter than what the player could get on TV. It's worth buying just to see the details.
And if any fan has come down from their excitement for Downpour, then this guide could make them fall in love with it all over again. Recommended.

NOT recommended to those who haven't played it yet. (Unless you have no intention of ever playing it and want to see what it is you are missing)

Page: 1 | 2